• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TT Rd 2 2021: Reds vs Crusaders @ Suncorp Sat 22nd may 7:45pm

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
This post starting just 3 days before the game suggests the fan base is probably suffering form the high of the Reds winning the final of the Super AU against the Brumbies Saturday week ago, to the low of losing comprehensively to the Hurricanes last Friday night.
Interestingly, the Brumbies were only one conversion away from drawing with the Crusaders , on the Crusaders patch.
Take heart. From that result, the Reds, on their home patch, can have a real crack at the Crusaders.
The Reds will need to have a number of their leaders back, playing from the start, not the bench. If the Crusaders have a lead at half time, then you might as well go home early and beat the traffic, or go to the Paddo.
Anyhow, bring it on!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
This post starting just 3 days before the game suggests the fan base is probably suffering form the high of the Reds winning the final of the Super AU against the Brumbies Saturday week ago

We now cross live to RugbyReg's house:

xmCq9KOP71Y5Api0PbL0jxP2QWv507y1kkI5L2t28F4.jpg

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
JOC (James O'Connor) training as is Hunter. No idea if that means they are right to play. Let's assume they are, I'd go:

15 Jock
14 Daugunu
13 Flook
12 Paisami
11 Vunivalu
10 JOC (James O'Connor) [c]
9 McDermott
8 Uru
7 McReight
6 Wright
5 LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
4 Smith
3 Tupou
2 BPA
1 Feao

16 Mafi
17 Zander
18 Nonggorr
19 Blyth
20 ASY (Angus Scott-Young)
21 Sorovi (it will be Thomas)
22 Hegarty
23 Stewart/ Droasese

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
That backline looks far more penetrating.

Is Wilson still out?

JOC (James O'Connor) training as is Hunter. No idea if that means they are right to play. Let's assume they are, I'd go:

15 Jock
14 Daugunu
13 Flook
12 Paisami
11 Vunivalu
9 McDermott
8 Uru
7 McReight
6 Wright
4 Smith
3 Tupou
2 BPA
1 Feao

16 Mafi
17 Zander
18 Nonggorr
19 Blyth
22 Hegarty
23 Stewart/ Droasese

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)

15 Jock
14 Daugunu
13 Flook
12 Paisami
11 Vunivalu
9 McDermott
8 Uru
7 McReight
6 Wright
4 Smith
3 Tupou
2 BPA
1 Feao

16 Mafi
17 Zander
18 Nonggorr
19 Blyth
22 Hegarty
23 Stewart/ Droasese

I would assume Stewart 12, Paisami 13. Proven combination and Stewart's defence and off the ball work at rucks is vital, his below par game against the Highlanders notwithstanding.

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
I am assuming Wilson is still out.

Stewart's error rate v the Highlanders was infuriating.

Agree, but he wasn't the only culprit and I think he's entitled to the chance to redeem himself. If you think back to the games earlier in the season when he was in the naughty corner, our backline defence was nowhere near as solid and that's an area that needs to be strong against Kiwi teams. Mind you, if we keep putting up bombs from inside the 22, it won't matter who is leading the defence.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Reg ,
Nonggorr was assisted from the field last weekend at St Lucia with what looked like an ankle injury. Would be surprised if he is good to play.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Agree, but he wasn't the only culprit and I think he's entitled to the chance to redeem himself. If you think back to the games earlier in the season when he was in the naughty corner, our backline defence was nowhere near as solid and that's an area that needs to be strong against Kiwi teams. Mind you, if we keep putting up bombs from inside the 22, it won't matter who is leading the defence.

Yep I tend to agree. I'm not really a fan of the Stewart-Flook combo, I don't think they compliment each other well, maybe Flook not ready yet? Funny thing to say about a center pairing who are Super Rugby AU champs but for mine they've been the biggest chink in the armor for two weeks in a row.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I fear for us if we play the same dumb football as we did last week.

At least we'll be as near to full strength as possible (fingers crossed Harry is good to go). The pigs are in for a hell of battle.

I pray we can fix the lineout (not holding my breath).

Alex Ross (28)
If the Reds have JOC (James O'Connor) and don’t muck about with rotations . I think they are a chance to grab this

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I am assuming Wilson is still out.

Stewart's error rate v the Highlanders was infuriating.
It was - he had a shocker - but I think he’s generally been solid this year.

He is a bit of an enigma though. For a guy who was previously a 10 he seems to have completely shelved his kicking game and his passing game is very underused as well.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It was - he had a shocker - but I think he’s generally been solid this year.

He is a bit of an enigma though. For a guy who was previously a 10 he seems to have completely shelved his kicking game and his passing game is very underused as well.

Unlikely he is doing anything other than following instruction. Agree on the enigma. Stewart offers a square peg to a round hole - sometimes the coaching team find that quite appropriate, and sometimes they get it right.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Unlikely he is doing anything other than following instruction. Agree on the enigma. Stewart offers a square peg to a round hole - sometimes the coaching team find that quite appropriate, and sometimes they get it right.
To use your analogy though, the coaching team seems to have made him the square peg by choice. Although I think there is some things which sit completely with Stewart.

I am sure he is largely playing the role assigned, but a number of times over the season he has not passed the ball when we’ve created numbers, which obviously comes down to him.

I’m also intrigued as to why his kicking game isn’t incorporated somewhere in the game plan. From what I saw of him years ago he had decent distance on his kicks and it is not like Hegarty is smashing them out of the park. Even just occasionally using him as a kicker gives the defence something else to think about.

Overall I think he’s still a solid option, but it is just intriguing I guess how different players evolve. On the one hand we have Paisami who came into the scene looking very one dimensional and is becoming a much more rounded player. Stewart seems to be doing the opposite and I’m can’t see how that is in either his or Qlds best interests.