• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TT Rd 2 2021: Reds vs Crusaders @ Suncorp Sat 22nd may 7:45pm

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
Being at this game I noticed Vunivalu, Wilson, and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) really kept bending their backs as the scoreboard blew out further and further. Zander also had a noticeable impact in defence on more than a few occasions. Hopefully this sticks in the DNA.

It seemed to me that we were just caught with our pants down tactically. I found it bizarre that we would attempt to score a try on pretty much the first phase every time we received possession for the first 20 minutes of the match. The team had looked most comfortable earlier in the season when keeping it tight at first and playing a much more balanced (even conservative) game plan.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
You do when they can, but sometimes the offence occurs in a split second.

I only ref 7s, and it actually happens quite a bit there - the ball is stripped as the players knee touches the ground. It’s impossible to warn the person stripping the ball to release - but it is the rule.

Edit: if you think of it from the other perspective - to stop Hegarty stripping the ball the ref would have had to pre-empted the ball carriers knee touching the ground. Given that it only just did, that would have been very easy to get wrong.
That’s not how it went down though, the strip was not simultaneous with the knee on the ground. It was knee glance ground, knee back in the air and then strip. Fraser had the opportunity to call tackle before Hegarty made the strip as happens half a dozen times a game. He only decided it was a tackle after the Crusaders player had been stripped.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
That’s not how it went down though, the strip was not simultaneous with the knee on the ground. It was knee glance ground, knee back in the air and then strip. Fraser had the opportunity to call tackle before Hegarty made the strip as happens half a dozen times a game. He only decided it was a tackle after the Crusaders player had been stripped.
Fair enough. I thought it was pretty simultaneous at the time, but I haven’t gone back to it.

If that’s the case then - yes, you do want the ref to call it, but it’s still a penalty.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Fair enough. I thought it was pretty simultaneous at the time, but I haven’t gone back to it.

If that’s the case then - yes, you do want the ref to call it, but it’s still a penalty.
Yes, letter of the law there is nothing in the rule book that says the referee has to call tackle but we’re in a very grey area when players have to start adjudicating themselves when a player is tackled or when it’s a maul.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I didn’t watch the game and I don’t think I will by the sounds of it. But how did Paisami go? How about Vunivalu?

Where were our defensive errors?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I didn’t watch the game and I don’t think I will by the sounds of it. But how did Paisami go? How about Vunivalu?

Where were our defensive errors?
Vunivalu was very good in attack, defensively rushed up a few too many times (as did all the Reds). Pleasingly, Vunivalu kept trying until the very end. Hunter was kept quiet.

Reds major mistake was trying to employ some silly one out rush defence that just left holes everywhere.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Reds major mistake was trying to employ some silly one out rush defence that just left holes everywhere.

I mentioned a few times during the game the rush defence was often thwarted by lazy support runners. The saders ball carriers were running close to the support player who was in turn stopping the rush defender from changing direction or closing the gap. Multiple line breaks were created that way. Several resulted in tries. As is often the case with NZ teams they executed it perfectly, just within the laws of the game. Seemed a deliberate tactic. And one we did not see anywhere near as well executed in Oz super rugby.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I mentioned a few times during the game the rush defence was often thwarted by lazy support runners. The saders ball carriers were running close to the support player who was in turn stopping the rush defender from changing direction or closing the gap. Multiple line breaks were created that way. Several resulted in tries. As is often the case with NZ teams they executed it perfectly, just within the laws of the game. Seemed a deliberate tactic. And one we did not see anywhere near as well executed in Oz super rugby.

Totally agree with this. Must be so annoying to play against. It just looks wrong. Defenders have to drift on until the dummy runners have had an obstructionary jog around? Just smash the f**** pricks out of the road to get to the ball carrier ffs. And get pinged for it.

I wonder if defending teams should take a punt trying to collide with the dummy runners on purpose and then just throw their arms up in the air appealing to the ref. If only to sow the seeds of doubt in ref's mind to get some calls later on.....

Plus the Cantabs align and realign so quickly on attack it's just wave after wave.

Stupid Cantabs practicing really hard and getting good at stuff.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
One of those calls that always seems to go the way of the team with momentum.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Then the same players are in support for a pass or for the breakdown. It’s simple but a few times the reds made a break or half break and it wasn’t capitalised on as support was a split second late.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Not to take away from the Crusaders, but that was a pretty pathetic effort by the reds. I have literally no clue what the idea was in the first 30 minutes or so. It seemingly lacked any sense of discipline and was incredibly loose.

New Zealand teams are really embarrassing their australian counterparts now.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Then the same players are in support for a pass or for the breakdown. It’s simple but a few times a break or half break wasn’t capitalised on as support was a split second late.

And watching super Au that was often the case, just they got away with it there.

Rugby follower

Darby Loudon (17)
Hamish Stewart has been caught well short in both games against the NZ sides and especially against the Saders, just doesn’t have the smarts or size to compete at this level at 12. Not sure who is available however will be a liability if he plays there again this week. Perhaps his best position was 10 all along.