• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TT Rd 2 - Chiefs v Brumbies, Sat 22nd May, 5.05pm AEST, FMG Waikato

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Boshier to Nankivil was surely forward?
Looked totally forward yet everyone seemed convinced it was ok? Maybe the telly angle was indeterminating (not sure if word)

Woah that Brumbies halfback off the bench, he was a handful. Like a Genia v.02 weeble they couldnt knock down.

Cheifs not massively incisive but great handling in their phase play

ps why dont you sad sooks all fuck off to the rugby league then and leave us here to discuss the rugby THANX

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Looked totally forward yet everyone seemed convinced it was ok? Maybe the telly angle was indeterminating (not sure if word)

Woah that Brumbies halfback off the bench, he was a handful. Like a Genia v.02 weeble they couldnt knock down.

Cheifs not massively incisive but great handling in their phase play

ps why dont you sad sooks all fuck off to the rugby league then and leave us here to discuss the rugby THANX

tenor-1.gif

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Poor showing from the Brumbies, the lack of speed and intensity bites again. Lazy chasing. slow to move up is putting zero pressure on teams and gifting time and space poor kicking really hurt us. I don't get why we would want to always kick to D'MaK. I really didn't understand going to a lineout to maul when you are a player down and not winning the physical battle.

The Reds have used a similar game play to skin us and we don't cope with it.

Scrums are a real issue atm (really worries at the look of Sio and AAA in the scrums).

We also don't seem to adapt or adjust, just try to correct towards the set game plan; even if it is flawed.

The lack of players in motion or running on to the ball or at the line is telling. Nearly every run the Chiefs is positive that they are going through the line in contact, in contrast to the Brumbies which are usually coming from a standing start, with the first instinct is hesitation, look for a gap then try beat the line. It too slow and it made life easy for the Chiefs to defend. We were turned over in attack a fair bit as we end up doing some basic one up stuff and are slow to support as the focus shifts too quickly to the structure and positioning for the next phase rather than what playing what's in front of them.

Similar on defence. we have opportunity to compete more at the tackle and breakdown but the focus was more on maintaining the defensive structure rather then disrupting the Chiefs when the opportunities presented.

At some point McKellar need to move past the low risk, control game plan and make the team ruthless and get them to speed up. The difference at the backend of that game one we added in some speed and a couple of players running on the the ball was really noticeable.

Learn and move on. Bring on next week.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
It's like the teams were playing under different laws. How the hell.does a guy get a shoulder to the head off the ball and not even a penalty at the 33rd min but every small tackle by the Brumbies gets penalised and then a seat belt tackle gets a yellow card. The commentary was mind blowing. They even said about the shoulder to the head. "it would have been interesting if he was carrying the ball " so a shoulder to the head off the ball is fine ?

Even the chiefs playing the half.back numerous times. Offside. Never called.

Reactions: mst

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Shit, I might agree with Shiggins........... there were certainly some inconsistencies when it came to head high tackles and forward passes, but Keefy gonna Keef.

Anyways, Brumbies pack really let themselves down tonight.

Some positives - Valetini immense once again, Frost, Lonergan and Kata all had some great runs.............

Banks is really looking like the player we all want him to be..........

And Fines was a total gun off the bench again.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I’m about as hardcore a rugby supporter as they come. Contemplating switching it off and watching the NRL. I don’t blame anyone they are just too good and it’s just a glutton for punishment to keep watching. There is little engagement to see smashing after smashing

Being a little harsh I think R3. This is simply a mickey mouse competition which I reckon means next to nothing to our NZ friends. Gives them licence to do whatever they like with a meaningless title on the line. Like getting a promotion at work that gets you a high falloutin' title but no increase in salary.

It probably means more to the Aussie teams but then they try too hard and make more mistakes than they would ordinarily in three games of SRAu.

I wonder how many TT supporters will want a repeat next year when and if all five NZ sides finish undefeated? We don't need this. Just get another couple of teams in SRAu and rip into a domestic competition only.

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Fines is so much a better player than Ryan, it's time he gets to start. I am wondering, though, if he is one of the mooted players returning to the Force next year. Would be a huge loss imo.

Frost just gets better every time I see him play. Look out RWC 2023.

Rory Scott tries hard and is in most plays, but not as effective as I would like. Let's see if Luke Reimer can have more impact. I suspect he would.

Lachie Lonergan is excellent in open play, but the scrum really got monstered with both he and Scott Sio in the front row. Looked a lot more stable when Harry Lloyd and Conal MacInerney came on. Don't know what the issue is with Sio, but a rest between now and 2022 might see him get back to full fitness, strength and form.

Execution of the play was right off tonight. Poor handling and poor kicking options. That said, when did it become legitimate to walk a scrum around through the 90 degrees? Chiefs tactics in the scrum led to a couple of tries tonight that imo should not have been awarded. Otherwise, I was surprisingly content with the refereeing but Nankivell's try was on the back of a TMO error.

Reactions: mst

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
After watching this game, as a kiwi I a bit interested to see what happens with selection for test team. Jacobson looked bloody good at 8, so will be ineteresting to see what they do with him and Sotutu ( and Grace). DMac actually went bloody well at 10, but he still will be starting 15 I in test, but handy to have him to fill in when needed. Although he went of injured I think Vaa'i is a better lock than PT (and by a margin) so with Lurch and Sam and Parkinson I think we got a bit of depth there. Bloody Nankivell looking ok at 12 so maybe someone to watch as a back up.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Shit, I might agree with Shiggins..... there were certainly some inconsistencies when it came to head high tackles and forward passes, but Keefy gonna Keef.

Anyways, Brumbies pack really let themselves down tonight.

Some positives - Valetini immense once again, Frost, Lonergan and Kata all had some great runs.....

Banks is really looking like the player we all want him to be....

And Fines was a total gun off the bench again.
Kata actually couldn’t be stopped, it was quite amazing. Hopefully in the coming weeks the Brumbies can work on capitalising on the momentum he generates consistently breaking tackles and getting over the advantage line.