• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TT Rd 5: NSFW Waratahs vs Chiefs

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well - he certainly had a crack at that blokes head. Pretty dumb.

Has to be one of dumbest Reds I have ever seen. He went in and then backed off until Jacobson lifted head and dorve shoilder in. I tried to find a reason/ excuse for him, but couldn't . Struck me as the act of a very frustrated player who just maybe goed the cheap shot when things are tough? Cetainly not what you think Rennie would want in Wallabies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I must admit after sitting here to midnight watching this game that had nothing on it, I was almost relieved this comp was over.
Mind you it had been a long day went to watch a collge game at 10.30 in morning, then back to park for Colts at 1pm, followed by prem game, then shot home to watch the 3 games on tv, perhaps I wasn't in top rugby viewing mind and I maybe was getting tired. But it seems just having one game to watch on tv next weekend will be quite good?
I know I don't have to watch, but as Derpus said to me when I asked him why he was watching a few weeks back, perhaps I just like to torture myself too!:confused:

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Has to be one of dumbest Reds I have ever seen. He went in and then backed off until Jacobson lifted head and dorve shoilder in. I tried to find a reason/ excuse for him, but couldn't . Struck me as the act of a very frustrated player who just maybe goed the cheap shot when things are tough? Cetainly not what you think Rennie would want in Wallabies.
You do have to wonder whether Bakkies Botha would have survived as a pro rugby player in this era.

He is probably the one other guy who I always thought just couldn’t keep himself in check. Fortunately for him, and unfortunately for a lot of his opponents, he played at a time when a lot more tolerance was shown for grubbiness under the guise of ‘being a genuine Hardman’. Different code but Adrian Morely was similiar level stupid.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You do have to wonder whether Bakkies Botha would have survived as a pro rugby player in this era.

He is probably the one other guy who I always thought just couldn’t keep himself in check. Fortunately for him, and unfortunately for a lot of his opponents, he played at a time when a lot more tolerance was shown for grubbiness under the guise of ‘being a genuine Hardman’. Different code but Adrian Morely was similiar level stupid.

Yep and Richard Loe was another, seems like Botha players that played for and against both Loe andBotha say they were the nicest people (Botha and Brad Thorn were great mates), but on the field the 'red mist' would descend! maybe Swinton similar type?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don’t think you can ever read too much info how a player is on the field vs off. They reckon Michael Ennis is the nicest bloke off the field.

And I do think we have to accept that these guys played in eras where more was tolerated. Yes, they still stepped over the line - but not as far outside was they would be now. Who knows, if Botha had have come through the current regime he may have cut the thuggery out of his game and been an even better player.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Not too stressed with that game, particularly the second half, when we fielded a team that could not even be considered our number two side, including two props who aren't even part of the squad, and our number three 10 on one wing and our number three 9 on the other.

As to Swinton, we tend to romanticise the 'good old days', with someone suggesting he should be hard but not over the top like Finnegan. I would suggest that if we had the laws we have now about contact to the head, no arms tackles and dangerous clean-outs, Melon would have spent a lot more time sitting in a plastic chair on the sideline!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not too stressed with that game, particularly the second half, when we fielded a team that could not even be considered our number two side, including two props who aren't even part of the squad, and our number three 10 on one wing and our number three 9 on the other.

As to Swinton, we tend to romanticise the 'good old days', with someone suggesting he should be hard but not over the top like Finnegan. I would suggest that if we had the laws we have now about contact to the head, no arms tackles and dangerous clean-outs, Melon would have spent a lot more time sitting in a plastic chair on the sideline!
So you are saying you have hope for the Tahs for next season...

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)

You may be right. I was more talking about the bluster and carry on swinton brings to the role of enforcer. It’s like his role model growing up was the iron shiek or some other wrestling bad guy