• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

U16 schoolboy rugby

Mule

Banned
So we’re finally seeing the different schools and their “philosophies” of playing yr10 (or younger!) boys UP in opens or NOT (please correct/add any more schools!);

UP (multiple younguns playing up in Opens)
Kings
Barker
Shore

NOT (none or 1 younguns in Opens)
Newington
Joeys
Knox

any other Intel?

Last edited:

Thefootymanz

Bob McCowan (2)
kings has a fair few of their so called young guns in both their seconds and first sides I believe, which could be a undefeated team in the makings if these players can live up in the years to come.

any thoughts?

Mule

Banned
kings has a fair few of their so called young guns in both their seconds and first sides I believe, which could be a undefeated team in the makings if these players can live up in the years to come.

any thoughts?
Yeah I think approx 6 playing up: 3 years in opens could make or break them!

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yeah I think approx 6 playing up: 3 years in opens could make or break them!
I'm not sure if this is quite right - the 6 or so you speak of were involved in last week's Opens camp, and had a run in the trial games on the weekend as part of that, but I believe all bar 1 (or maybe 2) are returning to 16's now.

Mule

Banned
I'm not sure if this is quite right - the 6 or so you speak of were involved in last week's Opens camp, and had a run in the trial games on the weekend as part of that, but I believe all bar 1 (or maybe 2) are returning to 16's now.
That would be best for the players IMO; could see a whiz kid playing up effectively 2 age groups (say a just 15 yo playing against almost 18yos) leading to a very detrimental effect….. full respect to the schools who tend to gradually develop their players for a good full 2 years in opens rather than rushing too many younguns

Thefootymanz

Bob McCowan (2)
That would be best for the players IMO; could see a whiz kid playing up effectively 2 age groups (say a just 15 yo playing against almost 18yos) leading to a very detrimental effect….. full respect to the schools who tend to gradually develop their players for a good full 2 years in opens rather than rushing too many younguns
totally agree, anyone have any thoughts on who to look out for in the opens who are 16 over all schools.

propsarespeedy

Ted Thorn (20)
totally agree, anyone have any thoughts on who to look out for in the opens who are 16 over all schools.
Scots: Hamish Bull and Ashton Large floating between opens and 16s, the boys certainly have the ability to play opens but are competing against one of the strongest Scots year 11 and 12 squads in a while. This also creates the question of whether it’s necessary to play them up.

Shore have Lawson Armstrong (Prop) playing up in the 2nds and Nick Wendt (outside back) in the firsts, not sure if either of these are permanent but good on both of them.

Does anyone have predictions of games this weekends, Scots vs Newington (if it’s on) will certainly be one to watch in the 16A’s this match up always provides entertainment. Scots going to need use that “Rampant Lion” spirit to step up to the defend the larger newington pack as they have in the past. Historically, in this age group, Scots have won 2 (Both in 14’s) and Newington 2 (13’s by one try and 15s). When Scots have won this fixture, it’s been through physical domination up front and vice versa with Newington. Long story short it’s up to the Piggies.

Thefootymanz

Bob McCowan (2)
Been hearing interesting story's coming out of the kings 16a's and it sounds like their team could maybe still hold up even with a few major players in the opens. As Nick Platis I believe has been unstoppable according to sources.

Mule

Banned
Great game yesterday between Knox and Joeys; 14-7 to Joeys that was well reffed on a good field (considering the rain), resulting in the closest margin of this cohort over the 3 previous fixtures since 2021….

Lots of early season excitement leading to big hits and pressure enforced errors, that should have both teams confident of ironing out and challenging for their respective Association titles.

Simply more time together should build the cohesion for both the teams forwards and backs; too early to really identify standouts but maybe other observers saw more?

Mule

Banned
sooooo
16A predictions for this weekend?
Waverley v Riverview
Shore v Knox
Barker v Kinross
Cranbrook v St Pats
Aloys v Riverview (Cs?)
Trinity v St Pius
?