• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

U16/U19 Competition 2023

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Haven't been able to watch the games but a lot of you were quite down about the handling and general skills of the boys a few weeks ago.

Has it improved? Was it just rust or are we still not impressed?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I’m sure plenty of the NSW boys are going on teams U19s watch lists from this.

Can’t wait to see them run out in Brumbies jerseys in a couple years…

And why is that? Honest question. We are establishing these pathways to develop talent, so what gets in the way between here and U19 or Extended Squad?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I don't know. Part of me wonders if NSW brass get choice paralysis at times.

In the mean time others come in with a plan of what they need and before we know it the cupboard is bare. Shouldn't be so harsh since the 19s are still a good chance to take the thing out.

NSW is clearly dominating the youth development and matches. I always remember QLD being far more competitive and winning a lot of games in the U15, 16s & 18s/Schools but they seem to be one way traffic at the moment. Not sure if there is a clear reason for it in QLD

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Haven't been able to watch the games but a lot of you were quite down about the handling and general skills of the boys a few weeks ago.

Has it improved? Was it just rust or are we still not impressed?
I've only really watched the Reds u19 games but there was a massive improvement in this last one against the Brumbies. I think the small number of games played a big role in them not being on their game for most of the comp. Additionally I think Aus Schoolboys may have gotten in the way of pre-competition preparation with a number of the key players off there just before the competition started. Not sure what the preparation was otherwise like, but I could understand if it's difficult to get the whole team together much ahead of time. I'd love to see this competition run longer in the future - either home and away or including a few more teams (QLD 2, NSW 2, Combined states, maybe a couple of pacific sides, etc) though money is obviously an issue.

From a QLD perspective I'm hoping the QRU will organise some warm up games next year, maybe they can play some games as part of the challenger series. I know there were some under 18 games against NSW a month or so before, but I think they need to be playing as close to the actual under 19s team that will run out in this comp to get the most out of it.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Potentially getting a Drua side involved? Try and work it into the Pacific Sports program.

I think in the 16s giving NSW & QLD 2 sides would be a good thing for them as well as trying to make it more competitive for others potentially. We don't need to see 94 points put on the Force. That does nothing for either side.
Yeah, given the player movement between 16s and 19s, both to other states and league, it'd make sense to get more QLD/NSW players exposure at that level.

Pacific sports program was exactly what I was thinking with potential pacific sides included, though I'm not sure I'd be wary about including a full Drua side as potentially to concentrated a talent grouping. Could be a good chance to engage Tonga and Samoa, both not quite as strong as Fiji, so might balance in the comp better. All three might be tricky with Drua/Moana involvement in NZ's under 20s program though.

Steve_Grey

Ward Prentice (10)
Just watched the U19 Waratahs/Force:
NSW Upside - NSW #10 very active, won the Waratahs the game. NSW #13 excelled as a player and as a captain. NSW #22 was a liability for 5 mins after coming on, then settled and ran strong and aggressive. Very solid NSW scrum, #5 prominent. Excellent cameo from NSW hooker #16 at the end. NSW #9 was a livewire and won that battle.

NSW Downside - the backrow. Change NSW #7 after yet another weak/passive passenger display - the front 5 did the carrying/tackling workload. Waratahs will need a #7 who can carry/tackle/jackal aggressively against the Brumbies. NSW #8 looked off the pace - big guy, but below par. Replacements were solid with ball in hand, but lapse in defence leaked the only try.

Force lacked the killer touch - so much possession and territory and only 5 points to show for it. Handling errors from the Force forwards cost them multiple times when close to the NSW line - might have been three scores clear by halftime.

Plaudits to the NSW #10 who controlled the game with a man-of the-match performance, and handy cover for #9. Next week's #10 vs #10 will be intriging.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
If the HSC wasn't on right now I'd say Durbridge from the Aus U18s would be the best option at 7 for NSW. Assuming he hasn't signed with anyone else...

Surprised Ekanayake hasn't been in the squad as well to play in the backrow.

Brumbies 19s are really similar to the Super Rugby side of the last few years. They have a dominant and active 9 and the 10 is more of a steady hand. It's the opposite of NSW who play off 10 & 15.

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
If the HSC wasn't on right now I'd say Durbridge from the Aus U18s would be the best option at 7 for NSW. Assuming he hasn't signed with anyone else...

Brumbies 19s are really similar to the Super Rugby side of the last few years. They have a dominant and active 9 and the 10 is more of a steady hand. It's the opposite of NSW who play off 10 & 15.
Durbridge is heading to Syd Uni

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
Home of the Queanbeyan Whites. Located beside the David Campese Oval.

1698630497941.png

1698630519628.png

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

they drua played in the nz u/20's one this yr,

I wish we they expanded the RC to 6 & had a womens & u/20's like the 6N does

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
they drua played in the nz u/20's one this yr,

I wish we they expanded the RC to 6 & had a womens & u/20's like the 6N does
They have added an under 20s rugby championship for next year, will play on the Gold Coast in April:

6 teams should come in 2026 with the kick off of the world league. Women's rugby championship would be a good addition, but only if it didn't come at the expense of the pacific 4, which is a higher level of competition. Not sure we'd be able to fit in with the WXV structure otherwise though.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
They have added an under 20s rugby championship for next year, will play on the Gold Coast in April:

6 teams should come in 2026 with the kick off of the world league. Women's rugby championship would be a good addition, but only if it didn't come at the expense of the pacific 4, which is a higher level of competition. Not sure we'd be able to fit in with the WXV structure otherwise though.

thats bloody awesome, i just love the way the 6n does it h&a on a friday night & they take the games to smaller club grounds

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Speaking of the u20's comp. Who are some players in the u19s that should get a call-up?

The obvious ones:
Jack Barrett
Archie Saunders
Lachlan Hooper
Dan Nelson
Oniti Fonau

Few players that I think deserve a call-up
Jullien Caillol
Oliver Schmude
Jackson Stiel
Angus Staniforth

Who else?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Speaking of the u20's comp. Who are some players in the u19s that should get a call-up?

The obvious ones:
Jack Barrett
Archie Saunders
Lachlan Hooper
Dan Nelson
Oniti Fonau

Jullien Caillol
Oliver Schmude
Jackson Stiel
Angus Staniforth

Who else?
For QLD Riley Bierton and Will McCulloch were standouts, Bierton in particular with his goal kicking. Sowerby was in everything on both sides of the ball, he looks a bit light weight but has come out of the lower grades so might have the potential to improve quite quickly now that he's been noticed. I liked Liddy a lot as a captain and a leader but I'm not sure how high his ceiling is.

Goldsborough, Pakeho, Perrera and Leota are all full of potential and a year or 2 younger so I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the squad next year to move through to the core 23 a year later.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)

The obvious ones:
Jack Barrett
Archie Saunders
Lachlan Hooper
Dan Nelson
Oniti Fonau

Jullien Caillol
Oliver Schmude
Jackson Stiel
Angus Staniforth

Who else?
For me, definite for the squad would be:

Firstly, if eligible, obviously Cullen Gray, but not sure what his eligibility is like as a kiwi. He is the best 10 and it's not close.

1. Jack Barrett (NSW)
2. Oniti Finau (NSW)
3. Jackson Stiel (NSW)
4. Arnie Tancred (NSW)
5. Toby MacPherson (Brumbies)
6. Lachlan Hooper (Brumbies)
7. Austin Durbridge (u18's)
8. Jack Harley (Brumbies)
9. Dan Nelson (Brumbies)
10. Gray/Schmude (Brumbies/NSW)
11. Riley Bierton (Reds winger)
12. Ollie Cummins/Jakob Biet (Force/Brumbies)
13. Archie Saunders (NSW)
14. Angus Staniforth (Brumbies)
15. Shane Wilcox (Brumbies)

Would pick Phillipson (Force) to be back-up 9.

Would pick either Tipene-Grace or Batidravu (Force/NSW wingers) to be the back-up outside back.

Like Sowerby's energy, but too undersized for me (not ready yet)

Additionally, Durbridge should be called straight up from the u18's, as I have not been impressed by a single 7 this comp, and I don't think Lachlan Hooper will ever be a 7.

Also think Jarrah McLeod is awesome. Think he would have made the squad if not returning from an injury, meaning he didn't get much of a chance as a game-breaking centre for the Brumbies.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
McCulloch deserves a call up. I think if put into an even better side he’s a real weapon. QLD centres look a bit young compared to some of the others right now.

From the 18s I’d also add Goddard the big Prop into the squad. Probably on the bench but he’s ready for this level now from what he showed v NZ.

bhim

Allen Oxlade (6)
For me, definite for the squad would be:

Firstly, if eligible, obviously Cullen Gray, but not sure what his eligibility is like as a kiwi. He is the best 10 and it's not close.

1. Jack Barrett (NSW)
2. Oniti Finau (NSW)
3. Jackson Stiel (NSW)
4. Arnie Tancred (NSW)
5. Toby MacPherson (Brumbies)
6. Lachlan Hooper (Brumbies)
7. Austin Durbridge (u18's)
8. Jack Harley (Brumbies)
9. Dan Nelson (Brumbies)
10. Gray/Schmude (Brumbies/NSW)
11. Riley Bierton (Reds winger)
12. Ollie Cummins/Jakob Biet (Force/Brumbies)
13. Archie Saunders (NSW)
14. Angus Staniforth (Brumbies)
15. Shane Wilcox (Brumbies)

Would pick Phillipson (Force) to be back-up 9.

Would pick either Tipene-Grace or Batidravu (Force/NSW wingers) to be the back-up outside back.

Like Sowerby's energy, but too undersized for me (not ready yet)

Additionally, Durbridge should be called straight up from the u18's, as I have not been impressed by a single 7 this comp, and I don't think Lachlan Hooper will ever be a 7.

Also think Jarrah McLeod is awesome. Think he would have made the squad if not returning from an injury, meaning he didn't get much of a chance as a game-breaking centre for the Brumbies.
Trevor King would be in the mix to start in the front row as well, was in the squad and played in a couple of games over in South Africa this year whilst still being eligible for Aus Schools. Not sure what injury he has had recently that has kept him out of the Under 19s comp.