• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

U16/U19 Competition 2023

bhim

Allen Oxlade (6)
For me, definite for the squad would be:

Firstly, if eligible, obviously Cullen Gray, but not sure what his eligibility is like as a kiwi. He is the best 10 and it's not close.

1. Jack Barrett (NSW)
2. Oniti Finau (NSW)
3. Jackson Stiel (NSW)
4. Arnie Tancred (NSW)
5. Toby MacPherson (Brumbies)
6. Lachlan Hooper (Brumbies)
7. Austin Durbridge (u18's)
8. Jack Harley (Brumbies)
9. Dan Nelson (Brumbies)
10. Gray/Schmude (Brumbies/NSW)
11. Riley Bierton (Reds winger)
12. Ollie Cummins/Jakob Biet (Force/Brumbies)
13. Archie Saunders (NSW)
14. Angus Staniforth (Brumbies)
15. Shane Wilcox (Brumbies)

Would pick Phillipson (Force) to be back-up 9.

Would pick either Tipene-Grace or Batidravu (Force/NSW wingers) to be the back-up outside back.

Like Sowerby's energy, but too undersized for me (not ready yet)

Additionally, Durbridge should be called straight up from the u18's, as I have not been impressed by a single 7 this comp, and I don't think Lachlan Hooper will ever be a 7.

Also think Jarrah McLeod is awesome. Think he would have made the squad if not returning from an injury, meaning he didn't get much of a chance as a game-breaking centre for the Brumbies.
Trevor King would be in the mix to start in the front row as well, was in the squad and played in a couple of games over in South Africa this year whilst still being eligible for Aus Schools. Not sure what injury he has had recently that has kept him out of the Under 19s comp.

Shuteshieldfan

Frank Nicholson (4)
Just watched the U19 Waratahs/Force:

NSW Downside - the backrow. Change NSW #7 after yet another weak/passive passenger display - the front 5 did the carrying/tackling workload. Waratahs will need a #7 who can carry/tackle/jackal aggressively against the Brumbies.

Plaudits to the NSW #10 who controlled the game with a man-of the-match performance, and handy cover for #9. Next week's #10 vs #10 will be intriging.
(#7) Has got zero, maybe 1 pilfer max across the four games. The NSW coach is his club coach (Uni). A change should be coming (should have after the Brumbies game) but we all know it won't be coming. Di Staso is the one putting the most pressure on at the breakdown and getting the results (pilfers / slowing it down), especially now that Oniti is injured.

Best game I have ever seen Schmude play, he was close to (and most likely) the best on ground on the weekend.
He was still behind Fowler at Uni and Fowler is contracted to the Rebs so I dare say that would still be the pecking order for the selectors (rightly or wrongly).

Steve_Grey

Sydney Middleton (9)
(#7) Has got zero, maybe 1 pilfer max across the four games. The NSW coach is his club coach (Uni). A change should be coming (should have after the Brumbies game) but we all know it won't be coming. Di Staso is the one putting the most pressure on at the breakdown and getting the results (pilfers / slowing it down), especially now that Oniti is injured.

Best game I have ever seen Schmude play, he was close to (and most likely) the best on ground on the weekend.
He was still behind Fowler at Uni and Fowler is contracted to the Rebs so I dare say that would still be the pecking order for the selectors (rightly or wrongly).
Right - with NSW #6 doing his own work, plus the breakdown/tackling work of a passive #7 means there will be gaps at some stage, either in the line or at the breakdown. Having a #7 hanging around with the outside backs only works if your #8 and #6 are so dominant that you can effectively play with a 7 man pack - that strategy gets found out against stronger sides.

The Brumbies will exploit the current NSW #7 weakness unless he is replaced. You make a good point above (pilfers / slowing it down), slowing opposition ball down is vital in defence, even if the pilfer is not always successful. It is about being a pain in the arse such that the attack think they have to commit players to the breakdown to clear the pilferer out. Fraser McReight is a great example of this - he doesn't always try and pilfer, and he isn't always successful when he does of course, but he always there just in case, and he is a pain in the arse.

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
1698968011594.png

1698968032633.png

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
Convinced Harry Davis has career ruining images of the entire coaching images in his possession. What does he provide? Is he really the best 7 we have to offer?

Here's a name. Tom Livingstone (Rats). Think he's had a bad run with injury but he is exceptional. Big body who can carry, pressures the breakdown relentlessly (unlike we see with this current back row) and creates plenty of turnover, and is as mobile as any bigger loose I've seen.

Was Barker's best after Finau, Hooper and Katoa in 2021 and 2022, and outplayed the likes of Ethan King and Di Stasio every chance he got, and yet has still been overlooked.

Feel like he's constantly overlooked by selectors. Can't understand why. He's the best loose forward in this age group dating back to his schoolboy days and he doesn't get a look.

Last edited:

Steve_Grey

Sydney Middleton (9)
One of the only negatives of this competition is the exposure of players that in all fairness won't be pros to professional type scrutiny.

If each side produced 1 Wallaby, over the course of a 7-8 years you have a squad worth of numbers.
Perhaps the Centalisation of the Waratahs will force more transparency around selection decisions in pathways and into U19, and the coaching staff involved (most of whom are excellent but some frankly are pretty poor). Maybe the most important age level becomes U19 as after that, unless one is in National Junior Wallabies, the unselected talent has every chance of going unnoticed, or risks being scooped up by League. This is where a Central high performance team need to be involved from the ground up.

Not every past/future Wallaby flourishes at U15/U16, and not every U15 star maintains their trajectory into U19 and beyond - case in point now, where various U19 Academy players have better peers - playing in the same or competing Clubs. But once in the system, there can be a performance/review disconnect.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Are the expectations around selections and stuff realistic?

Earlier in the thread there were complaints about the development pathways being terrible and the standard and skills not good enough but isn't this precisely what is designed to help fix that? We now have a competition from u15s, u16s and u19s that provides some continuity around training and development with interstate matches.

I get the arguments about selections not venturing far enough outside of academies but somewhat that's going to be a fact of life. The resources should be focused on coaching and training a group of players and then getting them to play games. I see little point allocating more of a very limited budget on scouting and selections. It's never going to be perfect but largely we are good at identifying who the good players are.

What transparency do people think is realistic? Selections are never transparent at any level. Coaches select a bunch of players they think are good that will work together. There's always a subjective element to it.

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)

New South Wales Waratahs U16s v Queensland Reds U16s | Sunday 5 November | 11:00am AEST | Seiffert Oval, Canberra | Watch live via Stan Sport​

1. Kingsley Uys (c) | The Southport School
  2. Liam Robinson | St Joseph’s Nudgee College
  3. Berakah Tuifaasisina | Ipswich State High School
  4. Bennett Armistead | St Joseph’s Nudgee College
  5. William Ross | Padua College
  6. Gray O’Neill | Brisbane Boys College
  7. Oliver Nasser | St Joseph’s College Gregory Terrace
  8. Jack Randall | Brisbane Boys College
  9. William Graham | St John’s College Nambour
  10. Finn Mackay | St Laurence’s College
  11. Myles Rosemond | Ignatius Park College
  12. Max Blanch (vc) | Anglican Church Grammar School
  13. Connor Clifford | The Southport School
  14. Kilarney Lavender | The Southport School
  15. Treyvon Pritchard | Anglican Church Grammar School
  16. Keido Goulding | King’s Christian College
  17. Isaac Rauluni | St Joseph’s Nudgee College
  18. Cyrus Suniula | Brisbane State High School
  19. Ed Kasprowicz | St Joseph’s Nudgee College
  20. Trent Picot | Brisbane State High School
  21. Jack Brown | Toowoomba Grammar School
  22. Fletcher Austin | Anglican Church Grammar
  23. Kiama Jione | Brisbane Boys College

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)

Canberra Times article with profile of 4 Players Staniforth, Hooper. Wilcox & Macpherson. I found Staniforth's story interesting.

Angus Staniforth​

Angus Staniforth grew up dreaming of following in his uncle's footsteps and playing for the Waratahs.
The nephew of former Wallaby Scott Staniforth, the youngster was always tipped for a bright future. But when NSW overlooked the outside back, Angus had to reassess.
After sitting down with his family, the teenager quickly settled on a new goal.

He was going to follow another Staniforth to Super Rugby, but this time it would be at the ACT Brumbies.
Angus Staniforth is looking to follow in his cousin Tom's footsteps and play for the Brumbies. Picture by Elesa Kurtz

Angus Staniforth is looking to follow in his cousin Tom's footsteps and play for the Brumbies. Picture by Elesa Kurtz
The cousin of former Brumby Tom Staniforth, Angus moved to Canberra at the start of the year and quickly found his feet.
"Three of my uncles played overseas and they've had a big influence on me," Angus said. " They put me on the right path. I wasn't sure about coming to Canberra being from Sydney but I'm happy I made the move now.
"They've been through it and have given me advice. They've kept me on the straight and narrow to get me where I want to be."

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)

Shane Wilcox​

It should come as no surprise the Brumbies have had their eye on Wilcox for years. The St Edmund's graduate played for Australia under-18s this season and has spent the past 12 months training with the top ACT squad.
Wilcox is an outside back with immense talent and the humble, hard-working attitude Brumbies officials look for in recruits.
The youngster is set to form a lethal combination with Staniforth on Sunday's final and coach Dan Hooper expects the pair to give the Waratahs defence nightmares.
"He's a great kid, a very humble and relaxed kid." Hooper said. "He doesn't get stressed out about things.
"He's a real talent, he's on an EDS contract at the Brumbies. We've only had him for two games but he's back this week. Shane and Angus' performances in the backfield will have a big bearing on how we go."

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)

Toby Macpherson​

Another Junior Wallabies talent, Macpherson is an emerging lock who can impose his physical presence on opposition packs.
The teenager impressed for Uni-Norths throughout the John I Dent Cup and looks set to join a deep crop of Brumbies locks in the coming years.
Like Hooper, Macpherson is set for a second year in the Junior Wallabies program next season and he will play a key role in ensuring ACT wins the battle up front this Sunday.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)

Lachlan Hooper​

The younger brother of Brumbies and Wallabies star Tom Hooper, Lachlan has led the junior Brumbies throughout the season.
A Junior Wallabies talent in his first year out of school, many experts are tipping Lachlan to be even better than his older brother.
Captain Lachlan Hooper has led the ACT under 19s to Sunday's Super Rugby final. Picture by Sitthixay Ditthavong

Captain Lachlan Hooper has led the ACT under 19s to Sunday's Super Rugby final. Picture by Sitthixay Ditthavong
The teenager can play lock or in the backrow and has a hard edge after a tough country upbringing. ACT officials credit Hooper's captaincy for uniting the squad and instilling the Brumbies mindset into the team.
"Lachy's been huge," Brumbies general manager Chris Thomson said. "He's had a big 12 month since finishing school. He had a huge performance with the Junior Wallabies and has brought those experiences back with him.
"He's led the side well and been well supported by Toby Macpherson and Dan Nelson."

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Staniforth and Wilcox have been outstanding at the back for the U19s, but it would be a mistake for the Tahs to just concentrate on them. There's plenty of talent across the rest of the backline.