• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

U18 Academy Games and Australia U18s

bhim

Allen Oxlade (6)
Macarius Pereira - Nudgee
Oliver Barret - Nudgee
Avery Thompson - BBC
Fergus Gillan - TSS

Some QLD names in the initial Australia squad

bhim

Allen Oxlade (6)
Can’t understand how the standout player in the beat team in the AAGPS competition wasn’t selected….. covering 10,12,15, Fakafanua should have been there

I don't know the full squad but that would be disappointing if he wasn't selected. He was a standout today as well.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I’ll wait to see a squad list because it would be straight up wrong if he missed out.

Player of the match at Ballymore and then one of the best in the re match. A guy with versatility and genuine skill is exactly what Rugby don’t have in this country.

Part of me would also put my skeptic hat on if he missed out and wonder if there has been some League intrest/deals.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
IMG_8885.jpeg

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
it’s the failing of the current system. Whilst our national teams have had success lately I’d be interested to see how NSW 1 would go v NSW 2.

You saw this in the old Schools Championships with it not being uncommon for NSW 2 or QLD 2 to make and win the final. I remember Combined States getting the win in 2010 or 2011??

Make_Rugby_Great_Again

Frank Nicholson (4)
Interesting to see that no players were selected from the Qld White or NSW White squads for the Aussie squad .... fair enough for the Reds squad that got annihilated by 60, but surely some of the NSW White players could count themselves unlucky .... Marshall Le Maitre was the absolute standout for NSW. In the Qld Reds squad, I thought Alex Kerr played very well and another player that I thought would have been very close to being selected seeing he covers both the backrow and 2nd row. Why can't they have a National U18's Carnival so all teams (including the Brumbies, Western Force and Rebels and also have a Combined States Squad for players that miss out being selected from their home states) playing in front of the selectors at the same carnival??? Surely this would eliminate the bias towards NSW and QLD players dominating the Aussie Squad??? To have only 3 players selected from outside of NSW and QLD is pathetic and I'm sure alot of others agree!!!!

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Interesting to see that no players were selected from the Qld White or NSW White squads for the Aussie squad .... fair enough for the Reds squad that got annihilated by 60, but surely some of the NSW White players could count themselves unlucky .... Marshall Le Maitre was the absolute standout for NSW. In the Qld Reds squad, I thought Alex Kerr played very well and another player that I thought would have been very close to being selected seeing he covers both the backrow and 2nd row. Why can't they have a National U18's Carnival so all teams (including the Brumbies, Western Force and Rebels and also have a Combined States Squad for players that miss out being selected from their home states) playing in front of the selectors at the same carnival??? Surely this would eliminate the bias towards NSW and QLD players dominating the Aussie Squad??? To have only 3 players selected from outside of NSW and QLD is pathetic and I'm sure alot of others agree!!!!
That sort of logic has no place in Australian Rugby

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Agree with your first point about the 2nds sides having nobody is strange…

The carnival concept is sort of on the way back with the U16s & U19s round robin arranged already. 18s/schoolboys is a must.

The point about players from outside of NSW/QLD I don’t really care about as Vic would be the only region getting stronger is developing players. There has been a long time that these teams have left players out for what seemed to be a quota pick from WA, ACT & Vic. The carnival would help settle this somewhat as they would be guaranteed to play against NSW or QLD.

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
Agree with your first point about the 2nds sides having nobody is strange…

The carnival concept is sort of on the way back with the U16s & U19s round robin arranged already. 18s/schoolboys is a must.

The point about players from outside of NSW/QLD I don’t really care about as Vic would be the only region getting stronger is developing players. There has been a long time that these teams have left players out for what seemed to be a quota pick from WA, ACT & Vic. The carnival would help settle this somewhat as they would be guaranteed to play against NSW or QLD.
GOR
Last year the Brumbies beat the NSW 2 team 31-29 at the AIS Canberra on Sun 25th Sept

Whilst this year, NSW 1 and 2 teams got to play QLD 1 and 2 twice and no one else.