• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

U18 Academy Games and Australia U18s

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
GOR
Last year the Brumbies beat the NSW 2 team 31-29 at the AIS Canberra on Sun 25th Sept

Whilst this year, NSW 1 and 2 teams got to play QLD 1 and 2 twice and no one else.
Not good enough. Gives everyone a right to be shitty at selections.

I’ll be intrested to see how the Australia v Barbarians game goes.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
IMG_8960.jpeg

bhim

Allen Oxlade (6)
The number of Queensland players in the team will surely get some bites from some of the posters on this thread.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I haven’t seen any of the QLD schools games themselves where a lot of them play the best with teammates they know so I think it’s a bit much to go off about it. But the rep games are 4/0 in favour of NSW which is hard to go past, especially in the backline.

bhim

Allen Oxlade (6)
I haven’t seen any of the QLD schools games themselves where a lot of them play the best with teammates they know so I think it’s a bit much to go off about it. But the rep games are 4/0 in favour of NSW which is hard to go past, especially in the backline.

I'm not disagreeing at all, I'm also surprised not to see more NSW players in the lineup after watching the academy games. Finn Prass played 10 for QLD in the academy game whereas Boston Fakafanua actually played 15 and was a standout.

I trust the coaches in these national age grade teams more than the Wallabies coaches though as they have been actually able to get results against NZ recently.

Scrumsforlife68

Frank Row (1)
I’m so confused. Does this game not count for anything? It makes no sense that a bunch of our best players are rotting on that bench.
Why are our best players on the bench? Surely this is a joke. 2 bide captains on the bench? Fowler on the bench? This is ridiculous

Cockatoo Run

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think you might find that given its a 2-game series everyone will get one start. Pretty sure the 11 on the bench start game 2 when the best XV will start. (Here's hoping there is an agreement with NZ who are doing the same!)

farrellybros

Frank Row (1)
There'
I think you might find that given its a 2-game series everyone will get one start. Pretty sure the 11 on the bench start game 2 when the best XV will start. (Here's hoping there is an agreement with NZ who are doing the same!)
In all but one or two positions this is almost certainly not out strongest side but I doubt such an agreement exists - the NZ starting side for tomorrow is exacly the same as the one that ran out last Saturday to play the NZ Barbarians so looks they're going all in. The 2nd game/test is on Monday so NZ will have played 3 high level games (plus travel) in 9 days.

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
GoR has already listed the Australian U18 team list ABOVE (picked from NSW Gen Blue, QLD Reds, Rebels and Brumbies Academies) for tomorrow's(Thursday) game against NZ Schoolboys at 2pm in Canberra.

LIVE ON STAN SPORT

1695782082154.png

Also playing tomorrow (Thursday) is Australian Schoolboys (picked from the Aust Schoolboy Championships held at Two Blues Rugby Oval in early July) against Tongan Schoolboys. This is the final game for Tonga.
None of this Aust squad are from the various State Academies.

LIVE ON CLUCH TV

Thu 28 SepTONGA SCHOOLBOYS V AUSTRALIAN SCHOOLBOYS
Kick off 11:00am, Knox Grammar School, Wahroonga (Sydney)

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)

New Zealand Schools named for first Australia U18 match​

27 SEPTEMBER 2023
The New Zealand Schools team has been named ahead of the first of two matches against the Australia U18 team on Thursday 28 September, in Canberra, Australia.

New Zealand Schools team is;
1. Tonga Helu (Sacred Heart College)
2. Manumaua Letiu (Christchurch Boys' High School)
3. Logan Wallace (Palmerston North Boys' High School)
4. Josh Tengblad (Sacred Heart College)
5. Aisake Vakasiuola (Tauranga Boys’ College)
6. Quinten Holland (King's High School)
7. Oli Mathis (Hamilton Boys’ High School) (c)
8. Mosese Bason (Feilding High School)
9. Dylan Pledger (King's High School)
10. Rico Simpson (Sacred Heart College)
11. Kiseki Fifita (Southland Boys' High School)
12. Caelys-Paul Putoko (Hamilton Boys’ High School)
13. James Cameron (Westlake Boys' High School) (vc)
14. Tevita Naufahu (St Kentigern College)
15. Isaac Murray-Macgregor (Westlake Boys' High School)

16. Shaun Kempton (Rolleston College/Selwyn Combined)
17. Raharuhi Palmer (Hamilton Boys’ High School)
18. Sione Mafi (Nelson College)
19. Robson Faleafa (St Peter's College Auckland)
20. Jake Frost (Christchurch Boys' High School)
21. Micah Fale (St John's Hamilton)
22. Tayne Harvey (Palmerston North Boys' High School)
23. Charlie Sinton (Tauranga Boys’ College)
24. Rangiwai Lunjevich (Hamilton Boys’ High School)
25. Frank Vaenuku (De La Salle College)
26. Marshall Blakely (Christchurch Boys' High School)

Head Coach: Kane Jury
Assistant Coach: Ngatai Walker
Assistant Coach: James Hantz

New Zealand Schools Head Coach Kane Jury has named a 26-strong squad to play trans-Tasman rivals, Australia, in the first of two fixtures.

New Zealand’s next generation of players impressed last weekend at St Paul’s Collegiate in Hamilton, during their final preparations, when they recorded a 57-22 win over the New Zealand Barbarian Under 18 team.

Jury said the New Zealand Schools players were excited for the opportunity to represent New Zealand on the international stage.

“The group have connected really well off the field and are excited about the challenge ahead. We haven’t played against Australia since 2019, and the players are looking forward to putting on a performance that makes their schools and their families proud.”

The match kicks off at 5.05pm NZT and will be live on Sky.

The New Zealand Schools front row features players from across the country including four from Hamilton Boys’ High School and three each from Sacred Heart College and Christchurch Boys’ High School.

The front row features loosehead prop Tonga Helu, hooker Manumaua Letiu and tighthead Logan Wallace. Josh Tengblad and Aisake Vakasiuola will make up the locking duo. While Quinten Holland, Oli Mathis (captain) and Mosese Bason will complete a strong loose forward trio.

In the backs, Dylan Pledger and Rico Simpson have been named at nine and ten respectively, alongside a strong midfield combination of Caelys-Paul Putoko and James Cameron (vice-captain) . An exciting back three of Kiseki Fifita on the left wing, Tevita Naufahu on the right wing, and Isaac Murray-Macgregor rounds out an exciting starting fifteen.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
These boys look out of their depth. Should never have picked so many non-NSW players. As much as I wish that the talent was more spread out through the states, its not, so lets not pick teams like it is.