• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under 19's

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rugbyfan

Hello,

Just wondering if states such as NSW and QLD still have a 'NSW Under 19's' team?

R

rugbyfan

haha, didnt mean that mate, as in

QLD -Queensland under 19s
NSW - New South Wales under 19s

Is there a NSW under 19s team?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
mate, I don't believe there is anymore? There has been rumours of it returning next year, like an interstate series.

T

TOCC

It will be U20's if there is one, so that it is line with the IRB's U20 JWC

D

Doc

Qld have been picking merit teams of late. Last year it was after the city v country day. But no games or such.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
It would make sense to me to have a "NSW U20s V Qld U20 V Best of the Rest" U20 series 3 or 4 months out from the U20 WC.

The best of the rest players would come mostly from the Vic, WA and ACT Colts leagues and would probably not be hugely competitive, but you have to allow blokes and opportunity to be an unexpected surprise. The more channels for higher level selection we open up the less chance someone will slip though a crack or into another code.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
great idea, not a lot of effort to organise, gives opportunity to lot's of guys

Exactly. Given then at games could take place over the course of one long weekend (3 days) and that the players would be willing to partly subsidies it themselves for the opportunity plus possibly a sponsor partly paying for it, it wouldn't cost much.

Crow

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Perhaps you could involve other states and then you could call it the ARC (sigh)

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Perhaps you could involve other states and then you could call it the ARC (sigh)

Or you could use my much more financially feasible model that wouldn't have to be fully professional and would fit into the space of a weekend.

I'd love an ARC but it would be much more difficult than the 3 day/team carnival.

R

rugbyfan

Well that NSW vs QLD vs BEST OF THE REST (UNDER 20s) sounds like a great idea.
But why not have the same format as an Under 19s group. This will give players progressing through colts etc to have a higher team to work for other than (for example - 1st colts) and will give players who may not have made Australian Schoolboys a chance to get their name recognised for Australian Under 20s.

R

rugby_man

Is NSW were to field an Under 20 team, this team would certainly be a good one. And also I assume the team would be picked not on where they were born but where they play their club footy.

1. Salesi Manu (Manly)
2. Sam Roberson (Sydney Uni)
3. Vaughan Lomax (West Harbour)
4. Mark Johnson (Gordon)
5. Greg Peterson (Manly)
6. Maile Latukefu (Parramatta)
7. Michael Hooper (Manly)
8. Locky McCaffrey (Eastwood)
9. Mark Swanepoel (Manly)
10. Matt To'omua (Eastern Suburbs)
11. Damon Anderson (Eastern Suburbs)
12. Stefano Hunt (Northern Suburbs)
13. Tim Bennetts (Eastwood)
14. Greg Jeloudev (Sydney Uni)
15. Nicky Price (Southern Districts)

16. Clay Brodie (Sydney Uni)
17. Scott Sio (West Harbour)
18. Alfred Pinomi (West Harbour)
19. Josh Ellice-Flint (Sydney Uni)
20. Eddie Bredenhann (Sydney Uni)
21. Ben Volavola (West Harbour)
22. Cameron Mitchell (Eastwood)

R

rugbyfan

Well considering there are alot of threads regarding this aussie schools year and the last, i was thinking of more 2009 and 2010 schoolboy players (even though there are a fair few in that team already)

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think it would be of more benefit to play an interstate Under 19 comp at the end of the season so that it would give any potential players (for Aus 20's) to be identified and the chance to train properly for the JRWC. The city v country game is going ahead again this year in Qld so we should all go out and support it so that it keeps being played.

R

rugby_man

Sheez, Rugby Man. You've sure got a few Qld schoolboys in your NSW Under 19 team ??

Sorry mate, I originally meant to write Under 20 side. And yes there's a few Queenslanders in there but only because they are playing club rugby in NSW, and not in QLD.

F

feedhimbra

Could someone think up what the qld colts team would be like?

Status
Not open for further replies.