• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Uni vs Wicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
If the Randwick development model was so wrong, please explain how they managed to get into all the GF's down the grades. If it is shithouse, then what does that say about the teams who didn't make it to the GF? Past and current success would suggest that the Wicks are doing something OK.

I wish you would read threads and posts more closely before letting loose with the lip. My comment was made in the context of the anti-uni comments made by some on this thread where they conjured up all sorts of excuses for Wicks dismal display. Their team looked uncoached to me so perhaps it is time for them to consider someone from outside their old boy network to get them over the line.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The wicks were prevented from displaying anything apart from ordinary by the Uni team who out thought, out played and out muscled them. Credit must go to Uni for that.

Not for the first time has a reasonable side (wicks) been made to look ordinary by a disciplined, physical display from their opposition (uni).

The ability to adjust the game plan after kick off resides mostly with the Players on the Field lead by the Captain, and influenced by the Coaches messages, and 1/2 time talk. A captain on top of his game will continually read the situation and adjust accordingly. The Wicks on field leadership was made to look like rabbits in headlights.

University deserve all that the credits that are coming to them. Other teams including Randwick need to adapt, adopt and improve to become competitive.

I am not a Uni supporter. It is all too easy to find fault (blame others always works) than to give proper credit where it is due, particularly when that credit is headed the way of an arch rival.

Calling for the head of the coach seldom achieves the desired effect.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Brett Papworth made an interesting point during the commentary that at times the Wicks looked like they hadn't trained together. There was a lack of cohesion in their attack I thought, but that could have also been from the relentless pressure from Uni in defence.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I know it was only 10 minutes at the end against a beaten side, but Ben Roberts little cameo at hooker was pretty impressive. A couple of massive hits, a couple of runs and a tighthead. Not bad.

Agree: a nice stint that.

Ben Roberts played for the Junior Tahs this year and I don't recall that anybody has nabbed him since; but if he wants to keep his name in front of the fellows with the clipboards he can't be content to have Nathan Charles in front of him at his club.

IIRR he came from West Harbour and it may be well for him to return there.

Cyril Towers (30)
Agree: a nice stint that.

Ben Roberts played for the Junior Tahs this year and I don't recall that anybody has nabbed him since; but if he wants to keep his name in front of the fellows with the clipboards he can't be content to have Nathan Charles in front of him at his club.

IIRR he came from West Harbour and it may be well for him to return there.

He played at Uni for a while, then went to West Harbour for a year or 2 and has now been back at Uni for a couple of years. He played some games for Junior tahs this year but didn't have a contract. I think he has been offered pro academy at a couple of places but it's not enough money. He's a guy who works for a living and can't afford the time a pro academy would demand at the type of money they would be paying. I'd love to see him get picked up somewhere, every franchise needs that type of mongrel, and there's no doubting his work ethic when he does all the training and extra strength and conditioning at Uni on top of a landscaping job.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I see. Sometimes we assume that a guy is not in an academy because he's not rated but it's not the first time someone has mentioned in the forum that so and so didn't accept a spot because he had to earn a living. Your information earlier in the year about how little the pro academy guys get paid was a bit of a shock; so it's understandable that folks turn such gigs down.

But Ben is 25 now and time is marching on. I'm surprised that the Rebels picked a fellow like Tessman when Roberts was available and is a proven player though I say that without knowing much of Tessman.

It begs the question though: with Freier gone south who will be the Tahs 3rd string hooker parked in the pro academy? Luke Holmes?

Status
Not open for further replies.