• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Uni vs Wicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Given that G&GR is probably the only media outlet giving the game proper reportage, I thought we should have a thread on the game too.

Club rugby is usually covered in the Grassroots forum, but this is the final, for Eales' sake!

Any got the teams? There's one Halangahu out for each side, I hear.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think teams are to be announced today, but unfortnately I'll be out all day anyway. Gagger should have the press release on it soon.

Tip for MOTM - Tom Carter :) (if the game's a proper repeat of last year anyway)

I'll be out at the game covering it, anyone else gonna be out at Concord?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Teams (as from NSW Rugby site)

RANDWICK
1. Sekope Kepu, 2. John Fonokalafi, 3. Lotu Taukeiaho; 4. Tim Maxwell, 5. Ben Mowen; 6. Rocky Elsom, 7. Tim McGann, 8. Seilala Lam; 9. Patrick Phibbs [c], 10. Toby Browne; 11. Drew Mitchell, 12. John Tamanika, 13. Tim Wright, 14. Tom Tombleson; 15. Kurtley Beale.
Reserves: 16. Cruze Ah-Nau, 17. Maraki Toa, 18. Matt Mackay, 19. Dave Vizer, 20. Josh Valentine, 21. Bevu Tuqiri, 22. Danny Kroll, 23. Justin Terry.

Not sure why Rocky is there - he's got a hamstring injury...

SYDNEY UNIVERSITY
1. Jeremy Tilse, 2. Nathan Charles, 3. Paddy Ryan; 4. Dave Dennis, 5. Dean Mumm; 6. Ben McCalman, 7. Jono Jenkins, 8. Tim Davidson [c]; 9. Luke Burgess, 10. Berrick Barnes; 11. Lachie Mitchell, 12. Tom Carter, 13. Mitch Inman, 14. Peter Betham; 15. Julian Huxley.
Reserves: 16. Al King, 17. Ben Roberts, 18. Dave McDuling, 19. Sam Carter, 20. Matt Schwager, 21. Dan Kelly, 22. Greg Jeloudev, 23. Joe Horn-Smith.

Referee: Stuart Dickinson
Assistant Referees: Steve Walsh & Nathan Pearce
Television Match Official: George Ayoub

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
I'll be out at the game covering it, anyone else gonna be out at Concord?

I'm up in Sydney for the weekend, so I'm planning on heading in with my sister and her boyfriend to try and convert them, although the AFL grand final replay may have scuttled the plan of actually getting them there.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Both of those teams look chock full of Wallabies and S14 contracted players.
How would they compete against the Currie Cup / NPC teams?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Randwick has too many wounded pigs, Elsom has already said he won't be available, but Uni have lost two locks from last week and now have two 6s against Mumm & Dennis.

Also "1. Jeremy Tilse, 2. Nathan Charles, 3. Paddy Ryan" is a much stronger scrummaging unit than a Jerry infused front row.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hey Farva, I've thrown that line out on a variety of threads previously and had no real bites previously.

IMHO these teams on their day have the potential to beat the bottom 4 S15 teams, as would Eastwood and Manly.

They would give most ITM teams a reasonable run for their money.

This opinion is on the basis that all available rockstars are fit and available. This is not always the case, and there is almost no depth within the clubs when their rockstars are missing.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Surely this will be one-way traffic? Barnes to link with Mitchell and Beale to save face, but that Uni team is bloody strong.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Hey Farva, I've thrown that line out on a variety of threads previously and had no real bites previously.

IMHO these teams on their day have the potential to beat the bottom 4 S15 teams, as would Eastwood and Manly.

They would give most ITM teams a reasonable run for their money.

This opinion is on the basis that all available rockstars are fit and available. This is not always the case, and there is almost no depth within the clubs when their rockstars are missing.

Looking at that Uni team, its S14 quality certainly. Well, the starting 15 is - they all have S14 contracts too.
I dont know enough about the club scene to know much about the uncontracted players mind.
But a full strength Uni team would certainly challenge the bottom S14 teams. But you are right, once the internationals are no longer there, they are severely weakened.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Go Wicks.

Just a nice note on depth, Randwick will be competing in all grade Finals this weekend.

The team listed will be shuffled a bit now that Elsom is out. Mowen will go back to 8, Lala Lam will go to 6. Matt Mackay will start at Lock (I do like the look of Mackay he plays a very similar game to his late brother).

Cyril Towers (30)
Randwick has too many wounded pigs, Elsom has already said he won't be available, but Uni have lost two locks from last week and now have two 6s against Mumm & Dennis.

Also "1. Jeremy Tilse, 2. Nathan Charles, 3. Paddy Ryan" is a much stronger scrummaging unit than a Jerry infused front row.

Hard luck for Jerry and Nathan Trist, both of whom are top blokes and great club men and were both in top shelf form when injury struck.
Uni played Mumm and Dennis in the 2nd row last week as well. They have Sam Carter and Dave McDuling on the bench, but no back rower. Presumably Dennis will move back to cover any injuries. It's a good side and they are all fit and should go alright. What happened to Maninoa? He's been in great form.

Agree with gnostic, it's a great effort from Randwick getting all grades in the GF.

I'll be making the trip down for this one, should be a great game. Hopefully Betham can nobble his old mate from school, KB (Kurtley Beale). He's the real threat.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Uni have lost two locks from last week and now have two 6s against Mumm & Dennis..

Obviously, fp, you meant Randwick rather than Uni had lost locks.

For the sake of Saturday's game I would be happy if that were true but I am very surprised that you obviously regard Jerry as a lesser scrummager than Jeremy or Paddy. I certainly do not.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yes mate, my bad .................... Randwick have lost Chisholm & Maninoa

I think Ryan is a better THP than Tilse and Tilse is a far better LHP than THP, on balance it looks better to me

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Is this Drew Mitchell's first game for Randwick? Wasn't Gitteau linked to them as well? If so why isn't he playing?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Is this Drew Mitchell's first game for Randwick? Wasn't Gitteau linked to them as well? If so why isn't he playing?

No, he did play for them earlier in the year, one of the tries he scored was in Austin's Club Try promotion.

Did Balmain miss out on making the finals? Or have they already finished up for the year.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Before the games for the last two weeks we have had naysayers from various Sydney affiliations and other provinces beuing critical of the Wicks (and Uni) for the domination of the Shute Shield blaming them for poaching talent etc.

Well to all you whingers as I posted above and said in the past, Randwick attracts players and builds it depth because people want to play with successful clubs. This fact is shown again this weekend with Randwick showing that they will continue to dominate and be in the top level of the Shield for a few years to come with them in all the Grand Finals this weekend.

If other clubs wish to attract the likes of Beale, Barnes and co as well as the young talent to join their colts they have to develop the culture and play the Rugby that these blokes want to play. Randwicks success is not due to poaching or big name players, the whole system and traditions of the Club ensure their success, not that I am biased or anything.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
My head to head (based on my assumed changes with Elsom and Maninoa ruled out):-

1. Kepu V 3. Ryan - Randwick Ryan will hold Kepu at scrum time but Kepu has in everywhere else
2. Charles V Fonokalafi - Uni just. Big John has really impressed in the finals but Charles is really steping up. I expect big things in S15 next year from him.
3. Taukeiaho V Tilse - Randwick Taukeiaho has been a revelation this year at THP. He outscrummed (or was held his own against Robo) and outplayed three Wallaby props in one game last week.
4. Maxwell V Dennis - Uni
5. Mackay V Mumm - Uni
6. Lam V McCalman - Even - Lam has been huge for the Wicks every week. He needs another this week to match McCalman and I'll back him to do it.
7. McGann V Jenkins - Randwick with Mowen back to support him he will be a pest and get a few turnovers.
8. Mowen V Davidson - Randwick
9. Phibbs V Burgess - Uni
10. Browne V Burgess - Uni
12. Taminika V Carter - Uni (if Carter does his usual push and shove thing I hope he gets smashed. I also hate his attempted look of innocence to the refs when he gets caught for the usual not rolling away)
13. Wright V Inman - Uni Again I expect huge things from Inman next year.
11. D. Mitchell V (14) Betham - Randwick
14. Tombleson V (11) L. Mitchell - Randwick Tombleson has done everything asked of him and has been solid doing it.
15. Beale V Huxley - Randwick

The key for me is in the locks and halves. Heart says the Wicks will come from behind the eightball and take this as they have for the past two weeks, but while I could see those victories, This Uni team is just very complete with Barnes and Burgess in the Halves. Tip:- Uni by 10 :(

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)

Giteau is linked to Balmain but not Randwick. My mail is that Giteau was going to play for Easts but the schedules never worked.

Did Balmain miss out on making the finals? Or have they already finished up for the year.

Subbies GFs were a few weeks ago. I believe Balmain won their Division in First Grade.

What happened to the big lock for the Wicks that scored the last 3 weeks?

Maninoa has gone os - France, I believe.

btw, for Sports Ears fan, I have heard that they will work during all 4 grades on the weekend and that the ABC commentary will be available on the Ears during First Grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.