• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Union moves into Centre of Excellence

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

THE troubled Titans Centre of Excellence is on the brink of becoming the home of rugby excellence after Bond University yesterday announced a partnership with the Gold Coast Sevens tournament.

Bond will open its on-campus training facilities, as well as those at the recently acquired Centre of Excellence, to nations competing in the opening round of the IRB world series this weekend.

While the current partnership only covers this year's tournament, vice-chancellor Tim Brailsford hinted at an ongoing relationship with the sport.

Brailsford, a former board member of the Queensland Reds, is said to be keen on strengthening the relationship the exclusive university has with rugby.

Bond University bought the Centre of Excellence premises off the Titans last month for use by medical and sports science students.

Read the rest of the article here:
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2012/10/10/439528_rugby-sport.html

7's contributing in a positive way to the broader rugby union community...

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Tim is a former President of the Kenmore Centenary Bears JRUC and a great rugby man. Good to see him kicking goals in his new role as V-C at Bond.

T

TOCC

Bond is also a sponsor of the Reds and Damian Marsh has in the past lectured down at the university

PinkRugby

Stan Wickham (3)
Yes I'm happy to say that I was the one that got Bond on board with the Reds early in 2011. Perfect timing really, especially when Tim was announced as the new VC not long after that.

T

TOCC

Yes I'm happy to say that I was the one that got Bond on board with the Reds early in 2011. Perfect timing really, especially when Tim was announced as the new VC not long after that.

love your work...

Are you able to divulge what Bond intends to do with the facilities and how do they see the Reds maybe utilising those facilities to train occasionally in the future?

PinkRugby

Stan Wickham (3)
love your work.

Are you able to divulge what Bond intends to do with the facilities and how do they see the Reds maybe utilising those facilities to train occasionally in the future?

Unfortunately I left Bond back in Feb so I don't know the exact details surrounding the Titans facilities but the plan when I was there was to open a facility like that for the students of the Health Sciences and Medicine Faculty to utilise for study and research. Chris McLellan, the former Head Strength coach at the Titans also works in the Faculty as an Assistant Professor so I would assume he would also use the facility in some way. I do know that he and Marshy are always collaborating re: research for both codes so that may be an area it's used for. The facility is good and I would think the Reds could make good use of the Altitude Training room which is ok but I think the Altitude chamber at Metricon Stadium is much better.

The Reds sponsorship deal is only until the end of the year and it was done at Faculty level but I think that the wider university will be looking to take it over next year especially with Tim on board. They also appointed a Sport and Industry Development Manager because their focus is definitely sport, especially with the Commonwealth Games being awarded to the Gold Coast. There was also talk at last year's 7s that it would be great if it was called the 'Bond University 7s' but that never eventuated, but who knows what may happen next.

Status
Not open for further replies.