• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Vale Sydney Morning Herald Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
His column is the first thing I read on a Saturday. It will never win a Pullitzer prize,but I do enjoy reading it.
He can be a bit OTT.
But that is why he is successful, he polarises opinion.
You either love him or hate him, but you read his articles anyway.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The season finale for Sydney rugby's on this weekend with the grand final between Sydney University and Randwick, and there's been NOTHING in the sports section of the SMH on Tuesday and Wednesday. NIL, ZILCH, to quote Peter Sellers, "not a sausage". Not even a par on the Commonwealth Games 7s squad's camp in Darwin.

Disgraceful, Growden. Utterly disgraceful.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The season finale for Sydney rugby's on this weekend with the grand final between Sydney University and Randwick, and there's been NOTHING in the sports section of the SMH on Tuesday and Wednesday. NIL, ZILCH, to quote Peter Sellers, "not a sausage". Not even a par on the Commonwealth Games 7s squad's camp in Darwin.

Disgraceful, Growden. Utterly disgraceful.

Seriously, how many rugby fans are interested in a grand final between Sydney Uni and Randwick, again? The result is a foregone conclusion.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The season finale for Sydney rugby's on this weekend with the grand final between Sydney University and Randwick, and there's been NOTHING in the sports section of the SMH on Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday.

Added. Utterly, utterly disgraceful.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I agree Lindo, but I can see why they havent had anything. Two grand finals, the Com games saga, Cricket series v India, Ryder Cup golf, 2 massive race meetings. Shute Shield is fairly low on the list I suppose. Still should be something though. If there isnt anything tomorrow something is very wrong.

Cracking weekend of sport though.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
At last an article

RANDWICK and Sydney University will square off in tomorrow's Shute Shield grand final not only to battle it out for the title but to be able to claim bragging rights in the history books to become Sydney's most successful club.

It is the third year in a row that the Wicks and Students are playing the grand final, and the fourth time in five years. A win for Sydney University would mean a sixth successive premiership, which would equal Randwick's record from 1987-1992.

Aware of the potential kudos ahead, University captain Tim Davidson, 27, said success for the club wasn't so much about prominence, but to leave a long-standing legacy of good practices. ''What we aim to do is to play as well as we can and leave the place in a better way than when we came in,'' he said.

''When you start out at a club you can't envisage that you'd be this successful and you don't think a run like this will be continued … we've been able to learn what works and a process of what makes us successful … it's about being the best at what we do, it's a pretty special bond we have.''

And for rival captain Patrick Phibbs, 28, it ''will mean a lot'' for Randwick to get the win. ''It's a pretty big day for the club," he said.

Randwick have all four of their grade teams in grand finals tomorrow.

Despite beating University twice this season, Phibbs said records, history books and results from the past five years would be put aside.

''We will be putting all our energy into this game and concentrating on the match ahead," he said. ''It's a huge accomplishment for us to come from sixth [place in the finals series].''

Randwick are without Wallabies Mark Chisholm (knee), Rocky Elsom (hamstring) and Drew Mitchell (hamstring), as well as Sean Foley (Sevens duty) Nick Cummings (shoulder) and Junior Maninoa (in France).

University will be missing Nathan Trust (cruciate) and Jerry Yanuyanutawa (ankle), though Julian Huxley will bolster their line-up at fullback.

The Shute Shield grand final kicks off at 3.10pm tomorrow at Concord Oval.

Although not sure who Sarah Leach is - seems to know more than Growden though

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
My guess is Sarah Leach is a junior journo on an intern- or cadetship who's been covering absolutely everything they throw at her to get her bylines up.

You wouldn't really have to know much about rugby to have written that article, although it's good to see something in the Herald...

I agree there's not much space for the Shute in a big weekend of sport but it has been pretty poor. Although if it wasn't so crap I (and probably a few others around here) might never have found the wonder that is G&GR

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
At last an article

RANDWICK and Sydney University will square off in tomorrow's Shute Shield grand final not only to battle it out for the title but to be able to claim bragging rights in the history books to become Sydney's most successful club.

It is the third year in a row that the Wicks and Students are playing the grand final, and the fourth time in five years. A win for Sydney University would mean a sixth successive premiership, which would equal Randwick's record from 1987-1992.

Aware of the potential kudos ahead, University captain Tim Davidson, 27, said success for the club wasn't so much about prominence, but to leave a long-standing legacy of good practices. ''What we aim to do is to play as well as we can and leave the place in a better way than when we came in,'' he said.

''When you start out at a club you can't envisage that you'd be this successful and you don't think a run like this will be continued … we've been able to learn what works and a process of what makes us successful … it's about being the best at what we do, it's a pretty special bond we have.''

And for rival captain Patrick Phibbs, 28, it ''will mean a lot'' for Randwick to get the win. ''It's a pretty big day for the club," he said.

Randwick have all four of their grade teams in grand finals tomorrow.

Despite beating University twice this season, Phibbs said records, history books and results from the past five years would be put aside.

''We will be putting all our energy into this game and concentrating on the match ahead," he said. ''It's a huge accomplishment for us to come from sixth [place in the finals series].''

Randwick are without Wallabies Mark Chisholm (knee), Rocky Elsom (hamstring) and Drew Mitchell (hamstring), as well as Sean Foley (Sevens duty) Nick Cummings (shoulder) and Junior Maninoa (in France).

University will be missing Nathan Trust (cruciate) and Jerry Yanuyanutawa (ankle), though Julian Huxley will bolster their line-up at fullback.

The Shute Shield grand final kicks off at 3.10pm tomorrow at Concord Oval.

Although not sure who Sarah Leach is - seems to know more than Growden though

Wouldn't be too hard would it???

Status
Not open for further replies.