• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Victorian Schoolboys,2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
In view of the improving standards of Victorian Schoolboy Rugby over the last several years, I feel a site devoted to our brethren south of the Murray is long overdue. The 42-16 Victorian result over Queensland 1 are reflective of this continued improving trend. Victorian Schoolboy teams now produce regularly somewhere between two to four Australian Schoolboys, although many boys are tending to emerge from junior club rugby. My understanding is that their about 7 schools that field 13s,14s,15s,16s and Open XVs. In some cases they may have two teams in a age group and even three in the opens.

Victorian supporters who are in the know, are therefore invited to contribute and indeed dominate this site. As I am NSW rugby bugger, although I spent two happy years at Monash University. This was back in the early 1990s and Victorian Rugby at all levels was struggling even against their fellow Southern States, particularly Western Australia that was viewed as a growing outpost of Rugby Union. Whereas, Victoria was seen as a lost cause dominated by Aussie Rules. Some 25 years on my considered opinion is that Victorian Rugby has now surpassed WA, ACT and NSW Country Rugby. The current success some observers, have credit to the influx of Pacific Islander Boys who have brought Speed, Strength and Skills, that were previously lacking amongst Victorian Schoolboy Teams

To the best of my knowledge the top Vic Rugby schools are:-

Scotch College
St.Kevins College
Xavier College
Melbourne Grammar School
Brighton Grammar
Trinity Grammar
Marcellean College
with Haileybury, Ivanhoe and St.Patricks gaining numbers.
Other schools such as Mentone Grammar, Carey Grammar and The Geelong Grammar School offer the odd couple of teams, but play lower level teams of the stronger schools. If other schools serious take up rugby particularly, Wesley and Caulfield, Camberwell.

Strong Vic Rugby Schoolboy sides added to the depth of Australian Rugby and therefore must be valued. I therefore look forward to reading comments on this emerging and promising aspect of Australian Rugby.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Well done, B&W. Keep it up for our southern brothers.

On a side note my father's alma mater's on that list, he'd be turning in his grave to read of the advent of rugby at his old school.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
VIC 2016 Australian Schools & Barbarian Representatives

BMW Australian Schoolboys

Sunia Finefeuiake (played 8 for Vic) - Macellan College

Hunter Paisama (Played 13) - Packenham College

BMW Australian Schools Barbarians

Hinkley Halo Vaovasa (10) - cranbourne

Callum Kent (2) - Camberwell

Vic fielded a very strong side at the championships and could have topped the pool if they had managed a 4 try bonus point vs WA, in their last game. But they were playing in a mud-swamp and that was always going to be difficult (fortunately for NSW 2).

I saw Vic play NSW 2, The 2 boys picked for Aust Schools were standouts. Sunia is a very good No 8. He plays a classic No 8 and injects himself into the backline, even dropping back to fullback for a while (he floated all over the place). Did some great runs off the scrum. Hunter very solid in defense with good speed and handy offload with the ball.

Average Outside Center

Herbert Moran (7)
In view of the improving standards of Victorian Schoolboy Rugby over the last several years, I feel a site devoted to our brethren south of the Murray is long overdue. The 42-16 Victorian result over Queensland 1 are reflective of this continued improving trend. Victorian Schoolboy teams now produce regularly somewhere between two to four Australian Schoolboys, although many boys are tending to emerge from junior club rugby. My understanding is that their about 7 schools that field 13s,14s,15s,16s and Open XVs. In some cases they may have two teams in a age group and even three in the opens.

Victorian supporters who are in the know, are therefore invited to contribute and indeed dominate this site. As I am NSW rugby bugger, although I spent two happy years at Monash University. This was back in the early 1990s and Victorian Rugby at all levels was struggling even against their fellow Southern States, particularly Western Australia that was viewed as a growing outpost of Rugby Union. Whereas, Victoria was seen as a lost cause dominated by Aussie Rules. Some 25 years on my considered opinion is that Victorian Rugby has now surpassed WA, ACT and NSW Country Rugby. The current success some observers, have credit to the influx of Pacific Islander Boys who have brought Speed, Strength and Skills, that were previously lacking amongst Victorian Schoolboy Teams

To the best of my knowledge the top Vic Rugby schools are:-

Scotch College
St.Kevins College
Xavier College
Melbourne Grammar School
Brighton Grammar
Trinity Grammar
Marcellean College
with Haileybury, Ivanhoe and St.Patricks gaining numbers.
Other schools such as Mentone Grammar, Carey Grammar and The Geelong Grammar School offer the odd couple of teams, but play lower level teams of the stronger schools. If other schools serious take up rugby particularly, Wesley and Caulfield, Camberwell.

Strong Vic Rugby Schoolboy sides added to the depth of Australian Rugby and therefore must be valued. I therefore look forward to reading comments on this emerging and promising aspect of Australian Rugby.

All correct except for your understanding of a few of the lower level sides, St Patricks is somewhat of a powerhouse now with a very strong first XV, that are one of the few teams that really can defeat St Kevins. Melbourne High and St Francis Xavier can also be added to the lower of the team and Mentone Grammar no longer compete as well.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
VIC 2016 Australian Schools & Barbarian Representatives

BMW Australian Schoolboys

Sunia Finefeuiake (played 8 for Vic) - Macellan College

Hunter Paisama (Played 13) - Packenham College

BMW Australian Schools Barbarians

Hinkley Halo Vaovasa (10) - cranbourne

Callum Kent (2) - Camberwell

Vic fielded a very strong side at the championships and could have topped the pool if they had managed a 4 try bonus point vs WA, in their last game. But they were playing in a mud-swamp and that was always going to be difficult (fortunately for NSW 2).

I saw Vic play NSW 2, The 2 boys picked for Aust Schools were standouts. Sunia is a very good No 8. He plays a classic No 8 and injects himself into the backline, even dropping back to fullback for a while (he floated all over the place). Did some great runs off the scrum. Hunter very solid in defense with good speed and handy offload with the ball.

With the presence of the Melbourne Rebels and their junior academies, these boys can now say in Victoria and benefit from a development pathway. By staying in Melbourne they strengthen the local club competition and add to the depth of the Melbourne Rebels. Just as Aussie Rules has a growing presence in our Sydney Schools, the ARU must undertake a major development programme for Rugby in Victoria.

Victorian Boys are now looking for alternative to Aussie Rules. As their is no international games, no overseas tours and no chance of representing Australia. The Melbourne based Pacific Islander community has little time or passion for Aussie Rules as it lacks the close physical contact of Rugby Union. Compared to Sydney their independent School sector is massive.

Their APS schools, the equivalent to our GPS number 11 schools as opposed to the 6 serious rugby playing. Equally, their Associated Grammar Schools number 9 schools as opposed to only six Associated Schools. With a well established sporting tradition, resources and massive numbers in their school depth. They represent a huge potential for the ARU in any development plan. Haileybury College and Melbourne Grammar both number 1800 boys in their secondary schools. Wesley College and Caulfield Grammar have 3,000 students spread over numerous campuses. Neither play Rugby.

Together with Western Sydney, the Gold Coast, Victoria should be a key target in which to develop and market our game. The AFL have targeted Sydney, so its high time we returned the favour with an increased effort. Primary Schools, with the ages 6-12 should be the initial focus area. In this way they have been exposed to Rugby as they enter secondary school. Equally, a focus on Club Juniors for each major club, supported by a host of ARU Development Officers will provide an alternative for boys not attending Independent Schools or Independent Schools not playing Rugby.

With declining Rugby numbers in our Sydney schools, sports mad Melbourne could be the answer.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Saw the VSRU grand final last week - awesome game of rugby with some talented boys who WILL be Rebels one day. Sunia Finefeuiake from Marcellin College played number 8 and almost won the match for his team with his ball being held up over the try line - remember Marcellin were second division only two years or so ago, and have made it into the Grand Final. Also great to watch were the Faamausili brothers, Dylan and Antonio, clever passing and fast pace sealed the game for St Kevin's, their 22nd grand final, 32 - 22.
School Rugby may not be thriving, team numbers are down on past years, but some very good coaching has been happening behind the scenes of late, and the talent is being harnessed. Go Victorian Rugby.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Marcellin were second division only two years or so ago, and have made it into the Grand Final.

St Patricks is somewhat of a powerhouse now with a very strong first XV, that are one of the few teams that really can defeat St Kevins.

This is both true. St Pats, and to a lesser extent Marcellin, are examples are scholarships done right. They were D2 sides a few years ago but with a good coach and the right scholarships they turned into very competitive units. This made the league better.

The open secret is this league has a massive over scholarship problem, with St Kevs often being 40 points better than 2nd place and 80 better than 7th place due to fielding 8ish scholarships.

All the schoolboy leagues in Aus have this problem, but it's not great.

wilful

Larry Dwyer (12)
My boy is starting at a school in Gippsland next year that has zero rugby. I’m not realistically going to push that they start a rugby program, however in term three they have a ten week period where they get to do other sports, and I’m really thinking about trying to get Rugby sevens off the ground. But I don’t really know where to start. Firstly I’ll start with the head of sport at the school, and then the VRU. Unfortunately I know nothing about coaching or anything, so I couldn’t do that role, I’ll really have to hope there’s someone who can help with that. Wish me luck!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sounds like you need a dose of Viva 7's.

Hopefully the VRU and or ARU have a Development Officer lined up that can help your school with that program.

Do some googling on Viva 7's to work out if it is for you, and if so then start sending off emails to the "Big" Melbourne Clubs, and the VRU asking for support. IIRC there is also a Vic Country RU, but Gippsland is so far behind enemy lines that the Country RU may not be in much of a position to help you from within its existing network.

Good luck. Australian Rugby needs more folk like you.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
My boy is starting at a school in Gippsland next year that has zero rugby. I’m not realistically going to push that they start a rugby program, however in term three they have a ten week period where they get to do other sports, and I’m really thinking about trying to get Rugby sevens off the ground. But I don’t really know where to start. Firstly I’ll start with the head of sport at the school, and then the VRU. Unfortunately I know nothing about coaching or anything, so I couldn’t do that role, I’ll really have to hope there’s someone who can help with that. Wish me luck!

I'd email Justin Carroll at the VRU mate and I'd take it on and to the coaching courses in March-ish.

Nobody else is going to grow the game, you've got to do it yourself sometimes!

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
If you are still in NSW you try contacting the NSWRU and a placement on a level one coaching course. It would give a basic understanding of coaching procedures. I wish you and your son well in their rugby efforts. Even theVRU might run a coaching course.

wilful

Larry Dwyer (12)
What part of Gippsland?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
West Gippsland - St Paul's Warragul. They're a member of SEISA, a small group of independent schools including Beaconhills in Berwick and Sale Grammar. Kinda need to get the whole group on board so there can be a carnival of it.

The boy can't play any other way because the nearest club team is endeavour hills, and I'm just not that committed to it to drive an hour each way for training.

Status
Not open for further replies.