• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

VRU 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

let it flow

Bob McCowan (2)
Looks like the local players get shafted again. I love how Victoria is used as a stepping stone for these interstate players or overseas players. You can't blame these young kids for leaving. Your better of doing a couple years interstate than coming back. Then you can say you're from Nsw or qld.

T

Train Without a Station

Exactly, hence why they need all the Rebels Super Rugby players to prop up the numbers and up the quality of the group.

How the hell are the local blokes going to improve if they are all pushing each other at Dewar Shield level?

You're comments are so narrow minded and short sighted it's not funny.

The Dewar Shield rep team would not compete with any other team in the NRC with the exception of the Force if it was their comp only with no Super Rugby players.

There will be minimal development offered by just going out and getting pumped. Conversely, the other teams would gain no benefit from it and it would just create a case to replace the Rising with a team from QLD, NSW or ACT.

The Rebels will provide 16 players to the Rising which will have a squad of approximately 35. How exactly are local players being shafted? The Dewar Shield provides more than half of the Rising's roster, in a competition that is primarily targeted at professional players and providing them more rugby opportunities beyond amateur level.

The Rising have already had an initial squad of Dewar Shield players announced. Were you even aware of this? 7 players from my old club, Uni, alone have been included in that initial wider training squad.

Without a single injury, 7 Dewar Shield players will play. Considering that teams generally use about 30 players over the course of a season, that will more likely be 14. Explain to be how local players are being shafted?

Is it because these guys likely will not be Victorians? Do we say the Canberra team can't play Christian Leali'ifano, QLD teams Ben Tapuai and the NSW teams Tala Grey because they are Victorian and aren't from their local comps too then?

Axemen

Allen Oxlade (6)
Mate I'm off my head. Lol. That's the reality of it. The locals here don't stand a chance.

Really - what the hell are you talking about. At present there is up to 40 VRU players training once a week with the Rising Squad and increasing their skill development. 17 will make the final squad, and then get 10 weeks of training and many will get game time. There might by 16 Rebels part of Rising - but they will get injuries etc like any other team so could be up to 10 local players part of the match day squad any given week. Where would 10 local players get this type of experience previously. Every team will get their S15 player quota and then filled up by local players from their region/club affiliation.
If you think a pure local team should be entered your kidding yourself - it was only 2-3 years ago that the STATE TEAM lost to Tuggeranong, a club side from Canberra. They defeated all the other Canberra teams they played - but the next jump a pure local team is not prepared for and would only damage the local competition than improve it. Our competition has improved dramatically in the last 5 years - but not that much.

let it flow

Bob McCowan (2)
Mate your points are valid, but I stick with my beliefs. Im a full member of the rebels and I support them, but im not going to support a rebels b side, especially when opportunities can be given to local players. Results were 2-3 years ago. Alot has changed since then, and with full access to rebels facilities, why can't we compete. Have faith in what's here. The rebels had opportunities to give the morrabbin boy and the footscray boy a go in the pre season games, but instead they geared up and warmed a bench. I would like nothing more than to see us succeed, but while the rebels aren't winning, it means these fringe players need game time and prepping to be ready for super rugby. Not the local boys. They are there to make up the numbers if need be. Im only stating my opinion.

T

Train Without a Station

I have played first grade in Melbourne as recently as last year. It's not strong enough.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
3 rounds to go, what are our thoughts on a winner?

Some tight games been played recently, but Melbourne seem to be in a bit of a purple patch...

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
3 rounds to go, what are our thoughts on a winner?

Some tight games been played recently, but Melbourne seem to be in a bit of a purple patch.

Top 4 is sorted at the moment I think, just depends who gets the home field advantage. If Moorabbin are at home I think they will do Melbourne and vice versa. Quins v Box Hill is going to be the tough one to call I think.
The romantic in me wants Box Hill to go all the way in terms of wooden spoon to winners in a season, however I think they are going to be a little too 'raw' to win in finals footy.

At the end of the day I don't really mind who wins as long as it's a good game.

Axemen

Allen Oxlade (6)
Top 4 is sorted at the moment I think, just depends who gets the home field advantage. If Moorabbin are at home I think they will do Melbourne and vice versa. Quins v Box Hill is going to be the tough one to call I think.
The romantic in me wants Box Hill to go all the way in terms of wooden spoon to winners in a season, however I think they are going to be a little too 'raw' to win in finals footy.

Question is, will the qualified Rebels guys play finals. Seeing some of them are already back to Sydney etc, Eddie Aloheli has already gone. Both the Unicorns and Box Hill have done really well out of Rebels participation - Jordy Reid has been strong for Melbourne and Ben Meehan has been outstanding for the Bronco's - both clubs have had 2 Rebels playing for them quite a bit. The Rebels need to look at how they can do a fairer system, it is hard with injuries and who knows who will end up main team players but some clubs have not had a Rebel players all year whilst others have had one every week or 2 a week. Can make a huge difference in this competition

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)

Very diplomatic there EF, the joy of being a referee.

All for the rebels players playing in the finals. The hard thing about the allocation at the start of the season is that you don't know who is and isn't going to step up....how do you make it fair??

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
notably no rebels playing Dewar Shield this weekend.

time off? or turning out for sydney, brisbane or canberra sides ?

they may all be on leave till the NRC starts

T

Train Without a Station

Noticed Luke Jones is in Bali so I'm assuming time off.

Status
Not open for further replies.