• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

WA Premier Grade

Status
Not open for further replies.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Thought i would start a WA premier grade thread as we don't seem to get much discussion on the matter in these forums. I was wondering if anyone knows what Force players are signed to each club. As i noticed that on the Force website a lot of players are still claiming there NSW or QLD premier grade teams, but surely they would have a WA team to play for at least during the Super 15 season.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
As a long time supporter (and player some years ago) of Uni, I'm hoping we can back up with the 1st grade flag again! Dave Pocock has played a game or two for us, so he's one. Most of the others unfortunately play in Sydney, which is something I think needs to be addressed by RugbyWA.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Surely though players like stannard who will return from injury will have to start a a game or two at club level and i cant see him flying tp sydney for a week just to do it

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
If that's the case, then I'm stoked. I do recall seeing the likes of Longbottom, Cummins et al turning out for Eastwood, Randwick etc in the last season or two.

Alan

Bob McCowan (2)
Here are the Force players that turned out for clubs last weekend:
Emirates Western Force Players (alphabetical order): Phoenix Battye (Wanneroo), Patrick Dellit (Nedlands), Tetera Faulkner (Wanneroo), Kyle Godwin (Associates), Josh Holmes (Nedlands), Tyrone Lefau (Cottesloe), Salesi Manu (Palmyra), Lachlan McCaffrey (Nedlands), Napolioni Nalaga (Palmyra), Ben Seymour (Nedlands), Ben Whittaker (Cottesloe)

Alan

Bob McCowan (2)
Yes Neddies are the team to beat. I do however wish that Rugby WA consider distributing the Force players more evenly amongst the clubs in WA or is this not a Rugby WA decision?

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
of course most of these players will have very limited outings for their clubs during the season.
Neddies offered a couple of the Force fringe players free rent to join.
Every other club had the same opportunity to do similar

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
NSW and Queensland don't have to evenly divide the players because:
  • Most of the players are locals and/or have links to a local club, it would be wrong to break a link.
  • There are multiple successful clubs in the area with financial backers.
The smaller comps (like in the ACT, Vic, and WA) often have less successful clubs, recruit primarily from interstate, and thus need a more policed system. Smaller comps risk becoming completely monopolised by 1 or 2 clubs.
Thus the ACT's model and dividing up players is most effective in states where the players mostly aren't locals.

Alan

Bob McCowan (2)
I also agree that WA should have players divided up like the ACT. Admittedly the Force players in the past only played once or twice a season for their local WA club but with the Super 15 now taking a month break they could get more club game time. I just think if the players (who want to play WA club rugby) are divided more or less equally between the clubs it would attract local players/spectators in the area & would even the playing field a bit. Imagine getting thumped every weekend by a team full of Force players, in my opinion that could result in losing players at a club. I would love to see rugby grow & be succesful in WA.

Cheers All

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
In all honesty you probably would rather an experience-hungry player who is unlikely to get much Super game-time, like Kyle Goodwin, goes to play in Sydney but a player who has played a high level, like Nalaga, would be better off staying within the Force's sphere of influence.

Alan

Bob McCowan (2)
In all honesty you probably would rather an experience-hungry player who is unlikely to get much Super game-time, like Kyle Goodwin, goes to play in Sydney but a player who has played a high level, like Nalaga, would be better off staying within the Force's sphere of influence.
Agree with this.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Agree with this.

Also, nobody that isn't a rugby tragic knows who the youngins are so their effect on the community wouldn't be that huge anyway.

I suppose they'd lift the standard, but you want others lifting their standard.

H

Homer J

Patrick Dellit (Nedlands), Josh Holmes (Nedlands), Lachlan McCaffrey (Nedlands), Ben Seymour (Nedlands) will all be available come the finals as none will be in rep duties. That is a massive leg up for a strong club.
The rich club v poor club issue in WA has nothing going for it compared to the ACT comp. Tuggeranong Vikings are the richest club in Australia and essentially bough in five new players from NZ and Europe to add to last years comp winning side. Add them to the allocated players from Jake White and now 8 of last years winning team are in 2nd grade. So far two of their games have ended in 70+ winning scorelines over last years semi final opponents.
The club has done amazing things and made their own money so good luck to them, but when some other clubs don't have a pot to piss in and rely on their ability to keep the good local talent against cash offers, it becomes tough.

Alan

Bob McCowan (2)
Patrick Dellit (Nedlands), Josh Holmes (Nedlands), Lachlan McCaffrey (Nedlands), Ben Seymour (Nedlands) will all be available come the finals as none will be in rep duties. That is a massive leg up for a strong club.
The rich club v poor club issue in WA has nothing going for it compared to the ACT comp. Tuggeranong Vikings are the richest club in Australia and essentially bough in five new players from NZ and Europe to add to last years comp winning side. Add them to the allocated players from Jake White and now 8 of last years winning team are in 2nd grade. So far two of their games have ended in 70+ winning scorelines over last years semi final opponents.
The club has done amazing things and made their own money so good luck to them, but when some other clubs don't have a pot to piss in and rely on their ability to keep the good local talent against cash offers, it becomes tough.

Wow, that is going to be a massive boost for Neddies and yes the poorer clubs that rely on local talent only will be on the receiving end when playing a club like Nedlands.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)

Technically you must have played 6 games to qualify to play in the finals(be that in [prems or a lower grade team). This however was waved a couple years back when Richard Brown was coming back from injury and needed to prove his fitness for the wallabies. He was allowed to take the field in the Grand final for Cott and guess what...they won lol
Not sure what they would do these days.

Alan

Bob McCowan (2)
Technically you must have played 6 games to qualify to play in the finals(be that in [prems or a lower grade team). This however was waved a couple years back when Richard Brown was coming back from injury and needed to prove his fitness for the wallabies. He was allowed to take the field in the Grand final for Cott and guess what...they won lol
Not sure what they would do these days.
I remember that game at MEB Cott against Palmyra where Brownie played. Will be interesting to see if these players play for Neddies in the finals (assuming they make it of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.