• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales confirm tour to Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Whoever owns Ausgrid Stadium I guess. Is that Tinkler?

Ausgrid Stadium, formerly known as Energy Australia Stadium, is run by Hunter Venues. Hunter Venues (HV) is the trading name of the Hunter Region Sporting Venues Authority, a body constituted under the provisions of the NSW Sporting Venues Authority Act 2008. The Authority is appointed by the Governor on the advice of the Minister for Sport and Recreation.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I'm not fussed by playing with a weakened team. It's not as though historically the Wallabies have a record of excellence - they are at less than 60% in recent years. Quite a bit less.

I appreciate the argument that not playing your best players in every single test match will lower your winning percentage by a few points, but I remember saying before the Samoa test that I didn't mind the weakened team. I wrote that we would find out who of the non-regular Wallabies were not up to the mark and that if we lost I would say that it seemed a good idea at the time.

I will say the same before the game against Scotland. Players not in our 1st XV have to prove themselves and step up, and if they do, get rewarded, and if not, be put aside.

I shall appreciate the merit of arguments the other way, but not any that purport to take the high ground.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
The Herald here in Newcastle indicates that Tinkler has no involvement in the Wallabies v Scotland match.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...will-play-scotland-in-newcastlle/2346378.aspx

Newcastle gets branded a league town so many times I think its had an negative effect on getting more Rugby games here. It shits me to tears frankly. Newcastle has a passionate Rugby community and its about damn time we got a game like this in our own backyard. Where's the cash going to come from? Probably from people like myself who are going to pay up to go to the game. I for one am stoked that its Scotland, I reckon they are on the improve and could really provide an entertaining game. Some mates who follow league have said they'll look forward to seeing Scotland get smashed....clearly they didnt watch the RWC. As far as who is playing, one man - David Pocock, as long as he's playing it'll be worth the price of admission.

Up watching the NZ v Wales RL test match - unfortunately struggling now the RWC is over, its getting a bit desperate.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yes it would make sense to load the Wallabies with Reds and Rebels but on the other hand how many of those players will be able to back up on Saturday?
Seems to me it will be two games where we will be severely understrength.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The Herald here in Newcastle indicates that Tinkler has no involvement in the Wallabies v Scotland match.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...will-play-scotland-in-newcastlle/2346378.aspx

Newcastle gets branded a league town so many times I think its had an negative effect on getting more Rugby games here. It shits me to tears frankly. Newcastle has a passionate Rugby community and its about damn time we got a game like this in our own backyard. Where's the cash going to come from? Probably from people like myself who are going to pay up to go to the game. I for one am stoked that its Scotland, I reckon they are on the improve and could really provide an entertaining game. Some mates who follow league have said they'll look forward to seeing Scotland get smashed....clearly they didnt watch the RWC. As far as who is playing, one man - David Pocock, as long as he's playing it'll be worth the price of admission.

Up watching the NZ v Wales RL test match - unfortunately struggling now the RWC is over, its getting a bit desperate.

As I read it the assumption is that the ground would have to pay the ARU to play this game in Newcastle - correct?
I should think the ARU reckon they can make as much money from the game holding it in Newcastle as in Sydney - its like taking it to Canberra: only there's real people in Newcastle:rolleyes:

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As I read it the assumption is that the ground would have to pay the ARU to play this game in Newcastle - correct?
I should think the ARU reckon they can make as much money from the game holding it in Newcastle as in Sydney - its like taking it to Canberra: only there's real people in Newcastle:rolleyes:

You'll find the fake people are in Sydney... ;)

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
no, not at all. If it was at Gosford I could imagine a big payment from Singo, but in Newcastle v Scotland? Can't see where the cash comes from.

Gee your post brings back memories, Reg!

I watched my cousin Dave Carter (later a Wallaby) and another Quirindi player, Bill Abram, play for NSW Country against Scotland at Singleton many years ago. Met Tom Towers (Cyril's son) in the bar, and was later sitting in the small grandstand watching the preliminary match behind an aboriginal lady and her daughter. Mum said she was very proud that her three boys were playing for Matraville High in the "curtain-raiser"! (Need I say it was Mrs Ella)?!!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Gee your post brings back memories, Reg!

I watched my cousin Dave Carter (later a Wallaby) and another Quirindi player, Bill Abram, play for NSW Country against Scotland at Singleton many years ago. Met Tom Towers (Cyril's son) in the bar, and was later sitting in the small grandstand watching the preliminary match behind an aboriginal lady and her daughter. Mum said she was very proud that her three boys were playing for Matraville High in the "curtain-raiser"! (Need I say it was Mrs Ella)?!!

Dave carter is younger than the Ella's

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I'm not fussed by playing with a weakened team. It's not as though historically the Wallabies have a record of excellence - they are at less than 60% in recent years. Quite a bit less.

I appreciate the argument that not playing your best players in every single test match will lower your winning percentage by a few points, but I remember saying before the Samoa test that I didn't mind the weakened team. I wrote that we would find out who of the non-regular Wallabies were not up to the mark and that if we lost I would say that it seemed a good idea at the time.

I will say the same before the game against Scotland. Players not in our 1st XV have to prove themselves and step up, and if they do, get rewarded, and if not, be put aside.

I shall appreciate the merit of arguments the other way, but not any that purport to take the high ground.

This could be really good with the calander next year Lee. With the incomming test window in between Super Rugby we can select on current form and see if they prove to be test standard before the Quad Nations.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I think that the programme next year will give us ideal preparation for 4N - and 3 tests against the excellent Wales team will be a good precursor to the Lions series the following year.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I certainly hope it is an excellent Wales team Lee, as I one of the only people that didn't think they were all that great in WC. I know they played some great games, but as soon as Priestland was injured they were very very odinary in my opinion (and James Roberts more so), and had no way of scoring points. That said if Priestland is fully fit and available we could see some good rugby.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
When Priestland and Warburton were gone they didn't have much, that said it's not as if the ABs would've had much if Carter and McCaw were out.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Agree about Priestland. Most folks wouldn't know what an outsider he was until the RWC trials. I had seen him play flyhalf for the Scarlets but I remember his playing more at fullback.

He was supposed to play fullback in his first starting game for Wales in the RWC trial game against England 3 months ago but his Scarlets team mate Stephen Jones got injured in the warm up. Priestland got switched to flyhalf and shone. Another Scarlets player, Stoddart, played fullback and broke his leg.

Talk about Sliding Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.