• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I have a question based on Gaggers analysis on the front page today.
Can Cooper play as flat as Foley?
I don't get to see alot of games but I was under the impression that QC (Quade Cooper) used to play very flat but hasn't been doing so this year.
If Phipps threw some passes out to where Foley usually stands QC (Quade Cooper) would have to play flat. This could really stir things up if he's still got a running game after his injuries.
Lots of If's
Quade plays flat and deep depending on the situation and the speed of the ruck.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I have a question based on Gaggers analysis on the front page today.
Can Cooper play as flat as Foley?
I don't get to see alot of games but I was under the impression that QC (Quade Cooper) used to play very flat but hasn't been doing so this year.
If Phipps threw some passes out to where Foley usually stands QC (Quade Cooper) would have to play flat. This could really stir things up if he's still got a running game after his injuries.
Lots of If's

Yes i re-call the great aspect of Coopers game was he used to play flat. My thinking is that he dropped back a lot deeper because of Genia's slow service.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Yes i re-call the great aspect of Coopers game was he used to play flat. My thinking is that he dropped back a lot deeper because of Genia's slow service.

Cause and effect scenario.

Slow service --> Stand deep --> Caught behind gain line --> Slow Service.

Or

Stand deep ---> Caught behind gain line ---> Slow Service ---> Stand deep

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think McMahon is an experiment so much as the most straightforward replacement for Higginbotham after his injury. He was just fortunate to be in the right place at the right time last week and play a blinder. Luke Jones can count himself unlucky he didn't get the same opportunity.

I think Faulkner may be getting a run here because I think Wales could be the weakest of the 4 scrums we face. Maybe Faulkner will get a crack at THP in one of the remaining matches but I'd be very surprised if we don't see Robinson return to the team for some of the tests.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Given Laurie dropped it might be he liked what he saw from Faulkner and suggested they give him a go. If we're really lucky he got Alexander back to how he was early this super rugby season, when he was scrummaging well before getting injured.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
424610-john-eales-and-george-gregan.jpg

And on this day 15 years ago, two of the greatest men to walk on the planet - to play the greatest game of all - the game played in heaven, lofted the Billy Webb Ellis Cup to be crowned world champions.

I hope the current flock can use this as motivation to be a good Wales team.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Welsh scrum is a hell of a lot better than Ireland's.

Wales scrum has been awful since the new scrummaging laws came in. Ireland destroyed them in the 6 Nations, and Samson Lee is very green and regularly destroyed at Pro 12 level. The way the Wallabies are scrummaging I'd be losing no sleep about the Welsh scrum.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Surprised as most re Robbo - he seems to be just about gone now - he will be lucky to be in the RWC squad when Sio returns. Speight didn't perform to everyones (well, nearly) expectations and good to see Chek make the selections he did.l The Jersey needs to be earned.

The "hinge" - jeez what can you say ??????????????????????

Congratulations to young Sean Mcmahon - go hard mate and put your stamp on the game. Fantastic opportunity.

Welsh pack will be bigger but slower. Our piggies will dominate as the game progresses. The mobility of McMahon, Hooper, Slipper and Keps will come to the fore.

Phil

Chris McKivat (8)
They've named a 24 before, and under Eddie Jones and Knuckles they often named a 23.

My curiosity is that I don't recall any other nation doing it.

So does that 24th guy doing the warm up get a match fee that others in the squad not selected don't get?
Perhaps there is someone under a slight injury cloud?Can't think of any other possible reason as you would be fairly sure Cheika knows who he wants in his team by now.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I'm a little concerned about the Cheika's training sessions, people say they are very intense and very physical. At this time of year the players are tired, are the last matches of the calendar. It would be a mistake to try to impose that kind of training in the last games of the year when the body doesn't respond the same way. Players should get plenty of rest at this stage, hard training is useless, they won't improve their pace in 15 days

Considering the Wallabies have lost against the Boks, Blacks and Argies and faded badly against the Barbars in the elast 10 to 15 minutes it is safe to say that not only is the bench missing impact and effectiveness the team is missing the hard edge required. Maybe they need to be flogged and to be prepared in the way a game is to be played so it isn't not a shock to them. Why continue the way they were it certainly wasn't reaping the rewards.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hardly he has played for 2 pro clubs in the last 15 years.

I moreso meant that he was first capped in 2003 and then didn't play for Wales again until 2009.

He's been a pretty consistent member of their side in recent years but mostly from the bench in the last couple of years.

Jenkins has fallen away and I think the Welsh scrum is pretty weak right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.