• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I remember certain posters writing off Kuridrani after his first test as well. Those same posters are even positing on this thread. ;)

i am very much on the Speight bandwagon.
may i point out to you that he hasn't yet played a test?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Genia does not deserve to be in 23 imo..his service has been for a number of years shite..

spreight doesn't either on recent form deserve to be in 23...he has waited many years to have his chance which if not for eligibility issues would have been sooner..

..spreight is obviously a good winger and still finding his feet after returning from injury..he will have other opportunities on tour but feel Tomane deserves bench spot more on recent comparative form with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Horne starting wingers.

i thought that Genia showed good signs of turning it around last Saturday.
have a look at news.com.au
TGC is there quoted as agreeing with me, but what would he know?

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not sure if anyone has posted the Welsh squad.

Backs
Mike Phillips (Racing Metro), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), Rhodri Williams (Scarlets), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Cory Allen (Cardiff Blues), James Roberts (Racing Metro), Jonathan Davies (ASM Clermont Auvergne), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Hallam Amos (Dragons), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), George North (Northampton Saints), Tom Prydie (Dragons), Leigh Halfpenny (Toulon), Liam Williams (Scarlets).

Forwards
Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Paul James (Bath), Nicky Smith (Ospreys), Richard Hibbard (Gloucester), Emyr Phillips (Scarlets), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Bradley Davies (Wasps), Luke Charteris (Racing Metro), Dan Lydiate (Racing Metro), James King (Ospreys), Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues, capt), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Dan Baker (Ospreys), Taulupe Faletau (Dragons).

Based on what NH rugby I've seen, a likely starting XV:

1. Jenkins
2. Hibbs
3. Phillips
4. Wyn Jones
5. Ball
6. Lydiate
7. Warburton
8. Faletau
9. Phillips
10. Priestland
11. Cuthbert
12. Roberts
13. Davies
14. North
15. Halfpenny

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not a bad side at all, if all those players are available. Quite good, actually. If that side is named, I reckon Wales would go in as favourites.

Not sure on their form though, as I have watched next to no NH rugby. Tipuric not playing well enough to make the starting side currently?

The weak point would have to be their halves, though. And they'll take a bit hit if North and Davies are out.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I had posted that I think White should get the nod. However, in retrospect maybe it should be Genia. He needs game time to get back to his best(which is superior to Whites best) and test minutes are short between now and the RWC. Also the level of experience at the backend of the game needs to be considered. He would not have hoofed the ball back to the ABs in the last Bled.
Phipps to start with Genia getting 15-20 at the back end with instruction to work on his speed of delivery and decision making.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
i thought that Genia showed good signs of turning it around last Saturday.
have a look at news.com.au
TGC is there quoted as agreeing with me, but what would he know?
He'd know that the BAA baas game was like the first game of the year, that the team last week was close to a scratch squad, that it was as good as a scratch squad given it was his first game as coach and that it was therefore unlikely to see a 50 point margin in the Wobs favour.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I don't see Cheika wanting to make wholesale changes to the team he inherited from Link. Forgetting the Mendoza anomaly, on the field there was a lot going right and I'm pretty sure he would want to be buliding on the legacy Link left behind. Also, these Tah-centric conspiracy theories are laughable. So as far as positions up for grabs this week go:

Locks. Simmons and Horwill to start with Skelton on the bench.
6. what a future McMahon has. Some are slightly critical as it was a BaaBaa's game and not a test, but so what. Higgers is out from all accounts and this bloke looks the goods to make his test debut.
9. Phipps has the starting spot locked down for now. Genia's service was a bit lethargic but I think this was a function of absence from the top league and he just needs some game time to sharpen up. Also, his lethargy is less of a liability than White's brain farts and his experience is required.
12. Lilo played well against the AB's but he was only there because To'omua was injured. The latter played very well last week and hopefully TGC has threatened him with castration if he ever kicks the ball away all game like he did against the Boks. So I think MT will keep the 12 jersey this week but from a longer perspective the Brumbies need to play him there next year.
Wings. Like others I don't think Speight did enough last week to take the starting spot of any of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Horne of Tomane. But his potential is enormous and he is clearly the nation's best winger, he needs game time so he should be on the bench this week, not sure at who's expense though.
22. QC (Quade Cooper) over Lilo as a benchie.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
He'd know that the BAA baas game was like the first game of the year

you lost me right there.
Saturday's exhibition was 14 days after going down by one point to the greatest team that ever lived.

what, six games in eight weeks against the world's 1, 2 and 12 teams.
first game of the year --
new players --
new coach team --
new --
my arse.

i just wish that blokes in GAGR would conceive and write their previews BEFORE games and their reviews AFTER games.

here's a question:
how many games had the Barbarians squad played together in the previous:
- one month
- three months
- six months
- nine months?

here's a clue:
one number fits all and it is less than one.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
these Tah-centric conspiracy theories are laughable.

yes, totally laughable.
but, great fun and a remarkable indicator of the world-, nation- and rugby- views of their purveyors.

however, the best way for harmonization of rugby culture is simply to disband the Tahs.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I must have been watching different rugby this season, Skelton isn't up to proper test match rugby yet IMHO and Carter did well again on the weekend, he is growing into the role of TH test lock.

Carter Vs Horwill? Not sure, but the argument is over who gets 10 minutes more game time so I would put on the fittest for the first 50

White Vs Genia? Phipps will start, so who will close out? Re-watching the game Genia's work close to the line was quite good (aided by proper running lines from Carter and Robinson) but was slow to clear because of rubbish cleanout and slow realignment of the attacking line. White was "helped" by playing behind a more focussed pack in the second half. I am not sure

To'omua vs Lilo? assuming Foley is the starting 10, Lilo has looked the best option outside him

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
you lost me right there.
Saturday's exhibition was 14 days after going down by one point to the greatest team that ever lived.

what, six games in eight weeks against the world's 1, 2 and 12 teams.
first game of the year --
new players --
new coach team --
new --
my arse.

i just wish that blokes in GAGR would conceive and write their previews BEFORE games and their reviews AFTER games.

here's a question:
how many games had the Barbarians squad played together in the previous:
- one month
- three months
- six months
- nine months?

here's a clue:
one number fits all and it is less than one.

You were wrong - face it. It appears you have short term memory issues: so I'll remind you of your fearless prediction (which we debated - so don't accuse me of making my predictions after the match)
back to the rugby.

if the Wallabies don't win by a margin of 50+, there should be serious questions asked.
the world's number 4 team, playing and training together for a year or more, is opposed by a pick-up team with barely a test class player in its squad and less than a week to prepare.

the Waratahs would beat this Barbarian lot by 50+ and then have a laugh for the second 40 minutes.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/co...-1-11-14-twickenham.14940/page-21#post-686150
The team that played bore no resemblance to the team that played 2 weeks earlier. At least one minor difference was the coach had changed in the meantime.
They looked like a scratch team: look at the complaints about the ball going behind the receiver.
One of us was right and his name was not biffo.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I had posted that I think White should get the nod. However, in retrospect maybe it should be Genia. He needs game time to get back to his best(which is superior to Whites best) and test minutes are short between now and the RWC. Also the level of experience at the backend of the game needs to be considered. He would not have hoofed the ball back to the ABs in the last Bled.
Phipps to start with Genia getting 15-20 at the back end with instruction to work on his speed of delivery and decision making.

That is a very big call. Will in recent years was just as likely as White to put up a box kick and if it was the coaches instructions to kick when in their own 222, than I think he probably would have done much the same. Difference might have been that Will's kick would be more likely to be charged down. Who knows what would have happened in that scenario.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Genia continued with his poor form of 2 years. He had a great opportunity and he just blew it. To me White was very much more effective, now that the box kick has been banned. Phipps to start and White on the pine.

QC (Quade Cooper) was rusty but still showed some glimpses. Think Chek will perservere with him but Foley a certainty to start.

Front Row picks itself. Slipper Saia and Keps.

Locks: Simmons a certainty with Carter and Horwill. Think Horwill will warm the bench as a cover for both.

Would prefer Mcmahon to be introduced to a few games via the bench but I reckon Chek

To'omua to start over Lilo but wouldn't be disappointed either way.

Reckon Izzy will start at 15:)

Speight only average last week but Chek will start him and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Horne can feel unlucky and probably deservedly so.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I agree with Cheiks comments. Think Horwill is doing well despite a few critical comments on these forums. I think people have such high expectation of him, they want him to play like Retallick every game, I see him as a solid option that does his job effectively.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I reckon he sees a lot of Douglas in Horwill. Horwill is more skilled at lineout time but they are similar in a lot of ways.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I must have been watching different rugby this season, Skelton isn't up to proper test match rugby yet IMHO and Carter did well again on the weekend, he is growing into the role of TH test lock.

Carter Vs Horwill? Not sure, but the argument is over who gets 10 minutes more game time so I would put on the fittest for the first 50

White Vs Genia? Phipps will start, so who will close out? Re-watching the game Genia's work close to the line was quite good (aided by proper running lines from Carter and Robinson) but was slow to clear because of rubbish cleanout and slow realignment of the attacking line. White was "helped" by playing behind a more focussed pack in the second half. I am not sure

To'omua vs Lilo? assuming Foley is the starting 10, Lilo has looked the best option outside him

Agree on the first few points.

Re: To'omua v Lilo

Realistically neither To'omua or Lilo are players that command selection, so until Australia produces a 12 that absolutely has to be picked, I think it is best to go with established combinations and the best defender. And on that basis I would probably pick To'omua. I also think Kuridrani plays better with To'omua inside of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.