• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales vs Australia, 5 November 2016, (1:30am 6 November AEDT) @ Millenium Stadium

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
None of these matches look like great opportunities. Not after the year we've had.

Lightening his workload will probably come in the form of only playing him for X minutes in the event we have the game half-won.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
None of these matches look like great opportunities. Not after the year we've had.

Lightening his workload will probably come in the form of only playing him for X minutes in the event we have the game half-won.

Absolutely a minefield I reckon. Chubby needs to pull himself together in a hurry, unless he starts to exercise a fair bit more self-restraint the vultures of the UK and Irish press will crucify him and that will have a hugely detrimental effect on a team at the end of very long season, well two very long seasons, and a lot of drama.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Absolutely a minefield I reckon. Chubby needs to pull himself together in a hurry, unless he starts to exercise a fair bit more self-restraint the vultures of the UK and Irish press will crucify him and that will have a hugely detrimental effect on a team at the end of very long season, well two very long seasons, and a lot of drama.

chieka will be looking at wales as a must win to build momentum, facing a scottish team looking for revenge. cant see how he wont treat evey match as a championship final tbh.

Dalai Ninja

Ward Prentice (10)
I am stunned to think that people here believe that the ARU would not have tried to sell every permutation and combination of games for the highest price and with the widest audience reach.

Do we really think they are all nincompoops?

Everyone knows that the answer to every complex question is to be found in Internet forums. So much talent, thwarted by life's cruel pyramid. It's almost enough to make one get off the couch.

Dalai Ninja

Ward Prentice (10)
Uh, yeah - I am 100% sure they have. Most of those guys were in some way involved at the executive level in large businesses before they did the ARU thing, they're not stupid or bad at business. Union just isn't a very popular sport and the Wallabies product is in the shitter right now.

Also, the broadcasting organisations that value the away tests most aren't the same broadcasting organisations that value the home tests, so packaging them theoretically reduces the price.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Backrow did really well against the AB's at Eden park. Hooper has started every. single. test. and just won the John Eales medal. Poey had good impact off the bench and that allowed Timani to go hard for 50 minutes. The only change will be the forced one with Mumm and it'll be for Fardy, due to the lineout. Only other permutation we might see is Timani at 6 and Poey at 8 but i find this incredibly unlikely.
All good points and most likely correct. But, in the back of my mind I can't think of a time so far this year when there has been a compelling reason for Cheika to really choose between Pocock & Hooper for the 7 jersey. This, IMO, has been the first time both are on an equal footing fitness wise and there has been a viable alternative for the 8 jersey - which I think Timani has presented himself as.

If it becomes a straight choice between Hooper & Pocock for one jersey, then Pocock getting the nod is quite possible.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I'll wager there's going to be some rotation in those wearing 5 to 8 over the next five weeks, can't see either Douglas, Fardy or Hooper/Pocock permanently riding the pine. Same for the backs, Hodge and DHP'll both probably play in two positions over this tour. And also Folau.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
All good points and most likely correct. But, in the back of my mind I can't think of a time so far this year when there has been a compelling reason for Cheika to really choose between Pocock & Hooper for the 7 jersey. This, IMO, has been the first time both are on an equal footing fitness wise and there has been a viable alternative for the 8 jersey - which I think Timani has presented himself as.

If it becomes a straight choice between Hooper & Pocock for one jersey, then Pocock getting the nod is quite possible.
Yeah i guess I'd agree with that. I'd rather Timani start and only one of Poey or Hoops starting. But, i think on form Hooper starts.

I hope he sticks with Coleman and Arnold. The future Aus locks building a bit of a partnership. Douglas a decent bench option.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Caught the tail end of a news report on ABC tonight that seemed to indicate Cheika has already decided to play Izzy at 13 on the weekend. Anybody else see this, or did I misconstrue what was said?

If true, then I'd say he has decided to go all out in attack in the backline by favouring Izzy at 13 over the more experienced and qualified defender there in Kuridrani. I hope that is the case, and that Cooper is at 10 with Naivalu on one wing and probably Speight on the other. DHP to No 15 of course.

RedCard

Peter Burge (5)
I think this is Australia's game for the taking. I usually (and wrongly) have a bit of confidence that a win is a possibility but I don't see Wales staying in the game for the final 1/4. We are always slow starters when any set of internationals start and have lost to many key players for this game..... Warburton, Faletau and now Alun Wyn Jones. Beyond this we do have quite a few players in form for a change so not all doom and gloom.

Would like to see some of our youngsters get game time such as Sam Davies at 10 but not holding my breath. Also Scott Williams getting the 12 starting spot would expand our game. Haven't got much faith in change happening and not moving far enough away from our outdated power game.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Just saw that it's been confirmed Genia hasn't been released for this game.

9. Phipps
21. Frisby

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Just saw that it's been confirmed Genia hasn't been released for this game.

9. Phipps
21. Frisby

That's also probably more indication Foley will start at 10 given his combination with Phipps and the fact he was preferred last test.

:(

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
What about the fact that they both played really well?

Think Foley's performance is a little overstated.

Foley threatened the line superbly. Was very impressive in that department indeed.

But then there's his kicking game, and that didn't improve at all. It actually cost us points once again.

So do you pick the guy who's a threat in attack but costs us points with his kicking (Foley), or do you pick the guy who doesn't have a great running game but is a better playmaker and kicker (Cooper)?

I'd prefer the later because like I said, his weakness doesn't cost us points. But it is a close call.

Phipp's passing at times was so slow - Refer to the Hodge chargedown. His speed at the ruck is superb but again, what's with the slow lobbing passing he brings out?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
It helps to have blue glasses on to see that Phipps/Foley had good games in Bledisloe 3.

Phipps was not at his usual speed to the breakdown and his passing game overall is really not what we should want to see from a test No 9. He does not provide any variety in options at the scrum or breakdown. He is in fact a player of very limited talent.

Foley is also limited in what he does well. He can and does challenge the defensive line and is capable of making linebreaks. But that's where he stops being a threat. He doesn't manage the backline play, set up his outside backs with creative plays or have the versatility of a good kicking game to be a class No 10.

The sooner we can produce a quality No 9 to back up Genia when he's available (please stand up one of Gordon or Louwrens), and the sooner our coaches work out that BF is at best a bench option, the better it will be for the Wallabies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I thought Phipps had a pretty good game and sped up our phase play well. It certainly put the ABs under more pressure than they have seen for quite some time.
I still reckon he will revert to 10 - Cooper and 12 - Foley. Personally I would like to see TK at 12 and Folau at 13 no matter who is at 10.