• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2018 Spring Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I would guess that Folau comes back into 13. How far off is Kurindrani?
It would not be bad to see how Petaia goes at that level. Hopefully he gets plenty of time against Italy.
I’d love to see a 12. Kerevi 13. Petaia combo against Italy. Kerevi would be able to coach him and help calm the nerves.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
We only just beat Italy at home last year with a pretty much full strength side last year. They were trailing by a point with 10 to go.

So with our form I wouldn't be fucking around too much against them in Rome.

Then again Petaia could mimic the Messiah's own debut and have his first start off the bench against Italy, scoring a try in the closing minutes to win the game.

B

Bobby Sands

I’d love to see a 12. Kerevi 13. Petaia combo against Italy. Kerevi would be able to coach him and help calm the nerves.

I think Petaia is a better option on the wing than almost anyone we currently have available. He will blow past Maddocks, Koribete, and Naivalu and find a spot in the XV for the world cup. Could absolutely get a run at 13.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
He, and every other winger, will struggle if we make him do what Koroibete has to do and run a mini marathon every game defending all over the pitch.

But I agree with your sentiment.

But then he does need to survive the 2nd year curse. (I think he will - but it has claimed plenty of others.)

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I think Petaia is a better option on the wing than almost anyone we currently have available. He will blow past Maddocks, Koribete, and Naivalu and find a spot in the XV for the world cup. Could absolutely get a run at 13.
No doubt he’d do well on the wing. I just think this tour without TK and with Beale out of form at least in the Italy game it would work well with Kerevi at 12 and Petaia at 13.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Our last world class 13 (Mortlock) moved like a freight train in the last few years playing there. As long as AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) can hit the line with pace, draw + pass then I'll be happy.

I can't believe you said the words AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) + pass in the same sentence.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Koroibete is very good and under appreciated. I think Petaia is a more natural rugby player and has enormous potential as an outside back.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yes. He has 13 stamped all over him but like several great outside centres before him he will most likely be initiated on the wing.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Potential does not win Test matches. His day will come, soon. But he is not a winger, IMHO. He looks like a ball player to me, and potentially a very good one.
Neither does banging your head against a brick wall with the same lineup that has been failing for the most part.
Without changes in playing personnel and coaching direction there is no reason to suggest our results will improve. There are a few areas where improvement can be gained and 13 is one of them.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I see that today is their last in Japan. Is the whole trading squad moving to Wales or will we have a refined squad?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hoping to see Pocock wearing either 6 or 7 this tour. I don't mind keeping the pooper going though, they're still miles ahead of the other backrow options. It won't necessarily change much about our structure in general play, but New Zealand really targeted our defence off the scrum last weekend and both Hanigan and Dempsey were found out defending at 6. Hooper and Pocock are the best defenders we have and playing them in their natural positions on the side of the scrum should help fix that problem.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Hoping to see Pocock wearing either 6 or 7 this tour. I don't mind keeping the pooper going though, they're still miles ahead of the other backrow options. It won't necessarily change much about our structure in general play, but New Zealand really targeted our defence off the scrum last weekend and both Hanigan and Dempsey were found out defending at 6. Hooper and Pocock are the best defenders we have and playing them in their natural positions on the side of the scrum should help fix that problem.

Pocock defended at 6 when Lukhan was playing. I don't mind it for Luhkan, who is never going to be that mobile off the back of the scrum, but for lighter guys, who are meant to be mobile, I'd like to see them actually trying to get better at defending in position before we hide them.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Can Dempsey defend ok at No 8? Think I saw him play 8 in an NRC game or two.

If Hooper must be retained at 7, maybe 6 Pocock, 7 Hooper and 8 Dempsey could be the go?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Can Dempsey defend ok at No 8? Think I saw him play 8 in an NRC game or two.

If Hooper must be retained at 7, maybe 6 Pocock, 7 Hooper and 8 Dempsey could be the go?
But if all goes well and a genuine option at 8 emerges (say Naisarani) we won’t be able to shift Dempsey to 8. I’d like to see if whoever is at 6 on the EOYT learns something from the ABs test match before we start hiding players.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Hiding whom? Hooper? Surely the only lessons we learn from the ABs is how to lose in 100 different, easy ways.

Personally, I'd still go with 6 Cottrell, 7 Pocock, 8 Dempsey in the absence of Timu at 8 and until Naisarani is available or Valetini makes a case for the No 8 spot.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Hiding whom? Hooper? Surely the only lessons we learn from the ABs is how to lose in 100 different, easy ways.

Personally, I'd still go with 6 Cottrell, 7 Pocock, 8 Dempsey in the absence of Timu at 8 and until Naisarani is available or Valetini makes a case for the No 8 spot.

Hiding whoever is wearing 6 by defending them at 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.