• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I have nothing against Simmons but cannot understand how he could be 1/2 confirmed locks. Not only is he not currently a first choice, but even last year before Rodda got injured Cheika showed a preference towards him. I actually believe he’s fighting it out with Arnold for the 4th lock spot at wc time. Reasoning behind this is Lukhan Tui offers greater versatility to the squad, plus will most likely be first choice qld lock with Rodda by this stage next year with Douglas gone.

Phipps is another struggling to make the plane.

Happy for both to make it, but wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t.

It's going to be hard for any 9s behind Genia to really prove anything at Test level too much, unless he gets injured. They're just not going to get a lot of time on the field. Especially with no possibly "easier" Tests on the horizon to allow a bench player a longer stint on the field. So, much will be based on Super Rugby form this year and next. And we have seen in many cases how that does not always translate to Tests. I think he'll take 3 ultimately, with Powell in there.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't see Phipps being dropped now. If Cheika wanted to try another bench 9 this was the year. Phipps has been out for a large part of the season and was otherwise not showing the form of Gordon.

It'll be Genia/Phipps till after the RWC.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't see Phipps being dropped now. If Cheika wanted to try another bench 9 this was the year. Phipps has been out for a large part of the season and was otherwise not showing the form of Gordon.

Yep, while no one else is actually playing so well enough to force their way forward, experience wins

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Still a lot of Tests to go. Anything could happen. But I think only an injury will change the dynamic much.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This is why I see Simmons and Phipps as being so locked in to our RWC squad.

Simmons starts if Coleman isn't there and is our second lineout caller. If Arnold is to come back in for the third Irish test and it isn't due to injury I almost guarantee it will be a swap with Rodda.

Phipps has heaps of experience and is very well suited to that bench role because of his speed of play. If Cheika was seriously considering alternative plans then Phipps wouldn't be in the squad right now. The way I see it, Cheika could easily opt to just take Genia and Phipps to Japan although theoretically Giteau was the third choice halfback and we don't really have a player like him in this squad.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah if you want to be the third 9, it maybe worth while developing your utility skills, you may only get some time on the wing

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
This is why I see Simmons and Phipps as being so locked in to our RWC squad.

Simmons starts if Coleman isn't there and is our second lineout caller. If Arnold is to come back in for the third Irish test and it isn't due to injury I almost guarantee it will be a swap with Rodda.

Phipps has heaps of experience and is very well suited to that bench role because of his speed of play. If Cheika was seriously considering alternative plans then Phipps wouldn't be in the squad right now. The way I see it, Cheika could easily opt to just take Genia and Phipps to Japan although theoretically Giteau was the third choice halfback and we don't really have a player like him in this squad.
Joke, right?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Joke, right?

I don't think so.

We only had two halfbacks in the squad. There had to be some thinking as to who would play reserve halfback should there be a short term injury where you want to keep that player in the squad (and cover for the game you're about to play).

Any longer term injury you have to replace the injured player.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I don't think so.

We only had two halfbacks in the squad. There had to be some thinking as to who would play reserve halfback should there be a short term injury where you want to keep that player in the squad (and cover for the game you're about to play).

Any longer term injury you have to replace the injured player.

That's correct and Sio was the 3rd hooker

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
I like that squad AD. Exceptions are that I would have Gordon or maybe Sorovi in place of Phipps, and I'd include Banks somewhere.
as others have already alluded, Phipps will be there because of his experience andthe fact that Cheika picked him in this squad with little form on the board because of injury. I can't see Simmo making it as the yoynger locks have more to offer around the park and I expect the Reds pair to improve theirfundamental skills under Thorn.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
as others have already alluded, Phipps will be there because of his experience andthe fact that Cheika picked him in this squad with little form on the board because of injury. I can't see Simmo making it as the yoynger locks have more to offer around the park and I expect the Reds pair to improve theirfundamental skills under Thorn.

As they used to say when I was still in the workforce, 50 years of experience means nothing if it is just doing the same thing over the 50 years. The total of Phipps' experience amounts to spraying his passes all over the shop. That sort of experience is of no use to anyone. And it seems he doesn't have to get better because he continues to be selected without showing any improvement in his game.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

I think with another season Sorovi will pass by Phipps as the backup 9

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
On his present form, I can see that being a possibility. Would help (sarcastically) if he moved to the Tahs next year though.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think with another season Sorovi will pass by Phipps as the backup 9

I think Gordon & Raru (in no particular order) should be the options because those two have the solid kicking, effective games we need to nourish

Phipps is a place holder

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I love that after a few Super Rugby games and I believe one start, people are talking about Sorovi for the RWC squad next year.

Yeah. I can’t fathom it to be honest. The guy was playing 2nd grade a couple of years ago. Let him find his feet before we’re picking him in World Cup squads.

Status
Not open for further replies.