• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Does anyone who wants Foley over Christian really want the best for the Wallabies? It reminds of partisan rubbish from Kentucky (Mitch McConnell etc) party before country etc.

Thanks for your input to the conversation, effortlessly grasping the wrong end of the stick again. Wasn't advocating for Foley ahead of Leali'ifano at all, was challenging the post previously, while stating, clearly, that Leali'ifano was the first choice.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Does anyone who wants Foley over Christian really want the best for the Wallabies? It reminds of partisan rubbish from Kentucky (Mitch McConnell etc) party before country etc.

I don’t like Foley as 5/8 for Wallabies... but everyone is entitled their opinions and have reasonable grounds to back one player over another without taking jabs at each other.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
For me I think banks is unlucky but whilst good super rugby player not convinced at test level yet. Happy to be convinced but for me banks like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and DHP are likely to be fringe players who play against the tier 2 sides in RWC pool games.

I also think it is healthy having lilo and foley competing for 10 spot and while lilo ahead at this point if he was to get injured or drop form I am glad we have foley as backup rather than Quade. I think next year without both lilo and foley people might start to wish any of those two were around as buggered if I see anyone ready to fill the wallaby 10 position next year.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Props
Allan Ala'alatoa
James Slipper
Scott Sio
Sekope Kepu
Taniela Tupou

Hookers
Folau Fainga’a
Jordan Uelese
Tolu Latu

Locks
Adam Coleman
Izack Rodda
Rob Simmons
Rory Arnold

Back row
David Pocock
Isi Naisarani
Jack Dempsey
Lukhan Salakaia-Loto
Michael Hooper

Halfbacks
Nic White
Will Genia

Flyhalf
Bernard Foley
Christian Lealiifano

Centres
James O’Connor
Jordan Petaia
Matt To’omua
Samu Kerevi
Tevita Kuridrani

Outside backs
Dane Haylett-Petty
Kurtley Beale
Marika Koroibete
Reece Hodge

Utility squad
Adam Ashley-Cooper

Having borrowed this from another thread/post and re-read it I'm sort of alright with it. Personally, I would have liked to see maybe one more outside back with a bit of strike (for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Hodge) + Pete Samu in there for Dempsey or Simmons (because LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) more than adequately covers 2nd row) but other than that it's fine.

Despite Hodge's kicking for touch being absolutely class, I haven't seen enough from him in ball carry. I'd prefer to see us have a go at two strike players on the edges. With both JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale likely to start often, I think there is enough passing and kicking threat already that we can afford to select a 2nd touchline missile. I'd have been keen to have a look at Pulu earlier this year, but for now Petaia could probably make a good fist of it.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
For me I think banks is unlucky but whilst good super rugby player not convinced at test level yet. Happy to be convinced but for me banks like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and DHP are likely to be fringe players who play against the tier 2 sides in RWC pool games.

I also think it is healthy having lilo and foley competing for 10 spot and while lilo ahead at this point if he was to get injured or drop form I am glad we have foley as backup rather than Quade. I think next year without both lilo and foley people might start to wish any of those two were around as buggered if I see anyone ready to fill the wallaby 10 position next year.

RN it is precisely for the minor games that imo players like Banks, Powell, Valetini, Wright etc should be in the squad. These are the near future starting Wallabies and each is certainly more than capable of playing and winning against the likes of Uruguay and Georgia. There is tremendous upside in having the next generation there to benefit from those sorts of opportunities, but in no sense of reality can I see the benefit of the likes of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) either immediately or into the future.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
You guys are forgetting the the QRU.

Player potential is nothing compared to the spectacular retarding force of that organisation

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Tahs are surely about due to unearth a new batch of rising stars as well, i think there are some quality players in the current squad but they've unfortunately just plateau'd in development under the previous coaching set-up.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Foley is Giteau claused, still available.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
RN it is precisely for the minor games that imo players like Banks, Powell, Valetini, Wright etc should be in the squad. These are the near future starting Wallabies and each is certainly more than capable of playing and winning against the likes of Uruguay and Georgia. There is tremendous upside in having the next generation there to benefit from those sorts of opportunities, but in no sense of reality can I see the benefit of the likes of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) either immediately or into the future.

Fair point. Hard to argue against that. We have been told AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) trained the house down so maybe the powers that be believe AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) can offer potentially more than we amateur pundits think. I had not seen enough in Super Rugby to think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) had done enough but maybe in Wallaby squad showed something more. SBW is a player who is similar age at 34...1 year younger...who I thought was past it. Look I am not saying I would have chosen AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) but equally I have seen he still has a lot of rugby smarts that maybe like SBW I might be wrong and selectors seen something we haven't. I hope AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) starts against Samoa so we can really see what he offers either way as the brief minutes off the bench in eden park AB game gave us nothing to really judge him on (should have been brought on earlier was my view).

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I’m just putting myself through the pain of rewatching last weeks game and I don’t think Bernard has ever played as badly as Lilo did for 50 minutes before they did the sensible thing and hooked him. Neither are great but I think if Foley puts in a redemptive performance v Samoa we are likely to see him starting in the first couple of pool games v Fiji and Wales.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I’m just putting myself through the pain of rewatching last weeks game and I don’t think Bernard has ever played as badly as Lilo did for 50 minutes before they did the sensible thing and hooked him. Neither are great but I think if Foley puts in a redemptive performance v Samoa we are likely to see him starting in the first couple of pool games v Fiji and Wales.

For Samoa I would almost prefer they start Foley and have Lilo on the bench. Lets see what both offer and compare. Lilo as Cheika said is marginally in front and Foley after Lilo's last game against AB's at eden park certainly worth seeing Foley in action.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
For Samoa I would almost prefer they start Foley and have Lilo on the bench. Lets see what both offer and compare. Lilo as Cheika said is marginally in front and Foley after Lilo's last game against AB's at eden park certainly worth seeing Foley in action.
I’d agree with that. We certainly know what To'omua offers and Lilo can cover 12 more than adequately.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
You posted an opinion as fact. I disagree with your premise. What else is there to say?

Foley is not an international standard goal kicker - statistical fact
Foleys exits from our 22 are a weakness in his game - statistical fact
Foleys tackling is average at best - statistical fact
No opinions there
I deliberately did not buy into the best 10 debate as it’s been done to death.
All options in that position have weaknesses.
And the weaknesses mentioned in the post you called a load of rubbish are actually valid criticisms.
You’re doing a pretty good job of grasping the wrong end of the stick yourself.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Oh no, Foley has definitely played worse than that........ he’s had some absolute howlers.

But, Lilo certainly hasn’t cemented his place yet......... he’s only just ahead on form.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Foley is not an international standard goal kicker - statistical fact
Foleys exits from our 22 are a weakness in his game - statistical fact
Foleys tackling is average at best - statistical fact
No opinions there
I deliberately did not buy into the best 10 debate as it’s been done to death.
All options in that position have weaknesses.
And the weaknesses mentioned in the post you called a load of rubbish are actually valid criticisms.
You’re doing a pretty good job of grasping the wrong end of the stick yourself.

Show some stats then.

Status
Not open for further replies.