• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Meakes is in Sth Africa (on his Instagram), Hanigan was sailing today on the harbour with the rest of the Wallabies (someones Instagram, I can't remember)
Urgh. Seriously? How's he not in the frame for extended wallabies squad? Coach is clueless. Bring on the selection panel. (They havent started yet have they?)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I see 9. Genia, 10. Quade, 12. To'omua, 13. TK as a pretty balanced combination. Kerevi off the bench to run over tired pricks.

Using the premise the Genia is the key playmaker (sort of the french 9), driving the forwards, hitting the edges, playing around the corners until we get quick ball and Quade sees a mismatch, I would want as many hole runners/poachers as we can fit in so .......

9. Genia,
10. Quade,
11. Maddocks
12. Kerevi,
13. TK
14. Folau
15. DHP

If you want another kicker, Beale replaces DHP @ 15

The issue I have is "if" this model is used, who is cover for Genia who can keep the system working?

I come back to Phipps who has done that kind of forward driving work finishing for the Wobs before

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It's by no means a final squad, Cheika said something along the lines of he wants Hunt to prove himself at Super level and then he'll consider him. I assume it would be the same for other fringe players.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The issue I have is "if" this model is used, who is cover for Genia who can keep the system working?

I come back to Phipps who has done that kind of forward driving work finishing for the Wobs before

It’s not Sorovi. Powell maybe. Like you I’m back to Phipps.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Using the premise the Genia is the key playmaker (sort of the french 9), driving the forwards, hitting the edges, playing around the corners until we get quick ball and Quade sees a mismatch, I would want as many hole runners/poachers as we can fit in so ...

9. Genia,
10. Quade,
11. Maddocks
12. Kerevi,
13. TK
14. Folau
15. DHP

If you want another kicker, Beale replaces DHP @ 15

Certainly prefer Naivalu or Koroibete over Maddocks for pure finishing/hole punching.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Certainly prefer Naivalu or Koroibete over Maddocks for pure finishing/hole punching.

I don't agree. Over the past two seasons, Maddocks has been so much more damaging than both of them. He gets heaps of tries. I generally chalk it up to being in the lucky spot, but I think it's too many just to be a winger on the end of a good backline. I think he picks really good lines and knows his positioning much more than the other two. Also, I haven't seen nearly as many glaring defensive errors by him.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I like the 3 15s option at test level, it negates opposing kicking options and Maddocks is a try poacher with good hands.

Also having him and Folau potentially on the either end of kick passes will stretch compressed defenses and that opens up options elsewhere

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Well, if it's the extra fullback you are after then its Banks. I'm not at all sold on Maddocks.
Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 10.38.33 am.png

Thoughts on their performances so far?
So they have roughly the same tackle completion and metres/run. But Maddocks has more clean breaks and 4 more tries than Banks does, and Banks has played one more game than him.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
All that shows is that Banks is a fullback in an underperforming team and Maddocks sits on the wing and finishes tries for a performing team.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If you're picking them to play wing though, that's what is relevant. Is Banks going to be a better winger than Maddocks for the Wallabies?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If you're picking them to play wing though, that's what is relevant. Is Banks going to be a better winger than Maddocks for the Wallabies?
We are picking them to play the second fullback role. In that context i would argue, yes, Banks is more suited.

Maddocks is too small for test rugby and it showed last year where he failed to even threaten where a bigger winger would have. Sefa or Koro are both better finishers, and Banks is a better fullback.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We are picking them to play the second fullback role. In that context i would argue, yes, Banks is more suited.

Maddocks is too small for test rugby and it showed last year where he failed to even threaten where a bigger winger would have. Sefa or Koro are both better finishers, and Banks is a better fullback.

Maddocks is bigger than Banks.

They'll be playing on the wing though. So whilst they are fulfilling a second fullback sort of role, they're not actually playing fullback. They're playing on the wing.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'm not massively sold on either, to be honest. Tom Banks could be great, but he also could be Jesse Mogg 2.0 - good at Super level but just a bit too light for test footy.

Maddocks may have a bit more potential, but like Banks he might be 10kg too light as well.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well, perhaps Maddocks is better suited to a wing role. They are very similar, regardless. And i wouldn't pick either.

Edit: ALSO think it's kind of moot as Cheika will pick Koro as he is exactly the type of player Cheika loves.

Double edit: Our outside backs were also not an issue at all last year. I think DHP, Folau and Koro is our first choice.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
To paraphrase Tom Moore:
'Fellas, if Folau and DHP go down we're fucked, and we don't practice fucked.'
Our fullback options are, realistically, Folau and DHP. We should have a plan for what happens if they both go down, but we should also do whatever we can to never need that plan.

I'd be including Maddocks as he probably offers more on the wing than Banks, and that's where they're going to be playing if they get in. You're more likely to see Foley at fullback.

Status
Not open for further replies.