• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It was a great chat. A rough breakdown of what we discussed - we talked about Foley's form at 10, the aerial skills of Folau, the resurgance of Ned Hanigan, Nick Phipps defensive tenacity, a few interesting observations about Harry Johnson-Holmes and Chris Talakai, and then a long debate on Kurtley Beale (misunderstood genius or wayward superstar?).

Definitely worth a listen.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I think form is irrelevant.

Foley will be 10 for the major games without a doubt irrespective of anything at all.

QC (Quade Cooper) and/or Lilo will get a fringe test playing with a team of guys who had previously heard each other's names mentioned in a conversation somewhere prior to the match - an environment that QC (Quade Cooper) just repeatedly fails in, while I think Lilo is the more mature player and can deal with better.

If it were me, I'd have Lilo as 10 ATM and he'd give great service.

But it's not me, so it'll be Foley. Pointless even discussing it, it's not going to be any other way.

Sadly, I agree 100%. The cynic in me knows that despite the arrival of messrs Johnno & Snoz, the XV will not change much regardless of form :(

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Sadly, I agree 100%. The cynic in me knows that despite the arrival of messrs Johnno & Snoz, the XV will not change much regardless of form :(

Mmmmm. I think you underestimate Johnson. He is not being paid to act as a sidekick to facilitate Chubby's fetishes.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Foley and Cooper are really the only logical 10 options and both should and I expect will be in the test squad. Lilo has had probably one really strong game early in the year against the Chiefs and has been pretty poor yet. The Brumbies backline is certainly struggling.

Form as the season progresses is going to be relevant. I think Cooper will need to be obviously ahead of Foley to have a chance of starting the test season in the 10 jersey. If it is at all close Foley will get the position.

It will be interesting to see how the Rebels bounce back this weekend. The gloss has certainly come off their early season form after a tough trip to South Africa. The Reds in Brisbane is by no means an easy game.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Rory is actually ahead of Carter in lineouts won and like you I would have him ahead of him in general. Carter started well and has been tapering off, I only left him there because he was exiting the 23. But I do think it's pertinent to have Arnold there in his place so I will actually make that change.
It's interesting what the stats say. I reckon the Brumbies linout has spluttered pretty badly at least twice - against the Rebels in game 1 and against the Reds last week. To be fair to Arnold he was off the field after the first one or two losses on the weekend.

What are the stats around lineouts lost per team?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was another I forgot about but he is well down in the stats regardless of whether you view him as a lock or a 6. I'd put him Derp's box with Coleman in that he shouldn't have a mortgage on a squad spot when you consider the current form of 5/6 hybrid options such as Jones, Phillip, Holloway and Hanigan.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
From the official site, The Rebels are 2nd with 93.1%, Waratahs 5th with 90.3%, Reds 6th with 88.6% and Brumbies 9th with 88%.

I'm certain the Brumbies had the best % of the Australian teams until the weekend.........

I hope it was just an anomaly because they were generally awful in almost everything they did that game......... eg. not a single Folau Fainga'a rolling maul try.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
It was a great chat. A rough breakdown of what we discussed - we talked about Foley's form at 10, the aerial skills of Folau, the resurgance of Ned Hanigan, Nick Phipps defensive tenacity, a few interesting observations about Harry Johnson-Holmes and Chris Talakai, and then a long debate on Kurtley Beale (misunderstood genius or wayward superstar?).

Piss take?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'm certain the Brumbies had the best % of the Australian teams until the weekend...

I hope it was just an anomaly because they were generally awful in almost everything they did that game... eg. not a single Folau Fainga'a rolling maul try.

Ah yes, the classic FFRMT. A travesty when it doesn't feature.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Foley and Cooper are really the only logical 10 options and both should and I expect will be in the test squad. Lilo has had probably one really strong game early in the year against the Chiefs and has been pretty poor yet. The Brumbies backline is certainly struggling.

Form as the season progresses is going to be relevant. I think Cooper will need to be obviously ahead of Foley to have a chance of starting the test season in the 10 jersey. If it is at all close Foley will get the position.

It will be interesting to see how the Rebels bounce back this weekend. The gloss has certainly come off their early season form after a tough trip to South Africa. The Reds in Brisbane is by no means an easy game.

I heard a description of the difference between Foley & Cooper. Cooper will give you 9/10s and sometimes 5/10s

Foley will give you 8/10s to 6/10s

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I heard a description of the difference between Foley & Cooper. Cooper will give you 9/10s and sometimes 5/10s

This was pretty much the reason I think Deans originally moved on from Cooper. He didn't want the fate of the team (and his coaching career) sitting in the hands of one player. This was exacerbated by the fact that Deans certainly wasn't going all in on that position by structuring his team around what might suit Cooper the best.

Cheika very much wants the 10 to play a role (and often an understated role) that means the team doesn't live or die on their performance. I'd argue that this is a big reason also why Thorn was keen to move Cooper on.

To contradict that though, I don't think the Rebels are really asking Cooper to do anything more than they would ask of another 10. They're playing a flat attack and Cooper has started the season well (and alongside him Genia has been outstanding and Meakes very good until perhaps the Sharks game). I think Cooper is a much better prospect to fit into Cheika's game plan now than he was in the past.

Cooper is still prone to some brain fades such as giving away a try against the Lions by not grounding the ball but he isn't taking as many crazy risks and playing a higher percentage game in general.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Can't tell if that's a discussion about the Wallabies or the Waratahs. Think I'll give it a miss. :)

Now, I really would be interested in a discussion of the Wallabies prospects (players and game-wise) with Schnoz and Johnson, the other two selectors.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

McKenzie used to say the same (ala Quade) but he'd manage it from a team perspective so that he didn't fill it with hit & miss players or conservative players, he balanced the team with both. Ala the Fainga'a and QC (Quade Cooper) combination. Pete Hynes and Digby. Radike and Beau. etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.