• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
I think Liam Wright will be our best 7 in two years time. Signing Hoops until 2023 could come back to bite as Wright just has so many great attributes and surely his value will skyrocket. Bigger body than Hoops, great leader, more useful at set piece time and has good rugby smarts.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think Liam Wright will be our best 7 in two years time. Signing Hoops until 2023 could come back to bite as Wright just has so many great attributes and surely his value will skyrocket. Bigger body than Hoops, great leader, more useful at set piece time and has good rugby smarts.

I'm a massive fan and I hear he's a very hard worker off the field (analysis etc) but he'll face a battle with McReight I reckon.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I think the two things are mutually exclusive. Even if Wright does become our best 7 in 2021, Hooper will already be 3 years into the 5 year contract and a lot of the value will have been realised.

RA is pretty conscious that there is a lot of generational change happening after this RWC and are trying to lock in a number of key players they think are still a strong chance of being there in 2023 but will help provide continuity after this RWC.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
We had Cheika on the latest podcast.

Worth a listen to hear some of the ways they are prepping for the RWC.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/podcast-304-live-from-the-airport-lounge-feat-michael-cheika/

Just listened. I should do it more often, very good work guys.

A few thoughts listening to it:
- I always forget how much more consideration Cheika/coaches give to younger uncapped players than older ones. Go for the young one who isn't setting the world on fire yet but hasn't developed completely. As opposed to the older player who is going pretty well but has been around for a while. For example I was so desperately wanting Cheika to say Billy Meakes when asked about uncapped players he's watching, but instead he name dropped Naisarani, Petaia, Maddocks, Hoopert, Wilkin and I think he was referring to Fotuaika.

- Definitely get the feeling he is talking to more international based people than just Taf and To'omua. He said he was speaking to people who had initially said they're not coming home. So, that's not Taf and To'omua as both are Wallaby eligible. Skelton? I wonder who else.

- With the very helpful gift of hindsight I'm not surprised about Waratahs hitting some form. They're the incumbents, of course players like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) & Foley were going to start off slow and build into the season. I've done a complete 180 on my opinion of them now. They will be very dangerous, I'm peeved the Rebels didn't catch them earlier in the season.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I see Hunt has been named at 13 this week, another hard hitting performance and I think he will come into serious contention for the 13 spot. Kurindrani has a lot of fans (I am one of them) but his performances the past 18 months have been very lackluster. He’s at risk of been the Foley equivalent to the 13 jersey as Foley has been to the 10 jersey, with lack of competition winning the jersey more than him earning the jersey.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Can't tell if that's a discussion about the Wallabies or the Waratahs. Think I'll give it a miss. :)

Your loss BR - he gives some really interesting insight into Darryl Gibson and Mike Cron, and we also get to chat Simmons, Holloway, Dempsey and of course Mitch Short, the Tahs 3rd string 9. A bit disappointed we didn't get to the development of Cam Clark, actually.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
I'm a massive fan and I hear he's a very hard worker off the field (analysis etc) but he'll face a battle with McReight I reckon.

McReight looks as if he has the potential to be as good a pincher as Wright (he made some good steals in last year's NRC). McReight's real strength looks to be his outstanding link play and he uses his impressive speed to get around and be a real try scorer, eg. u20s try last year v NZ in France, he'll be well suited to Super Rugby and the Reds attacking off turnover ball.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)

If Check has gone, maybe. Remember we let an even better openside breakaway get away not that long ago.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
If Check has gone, maybe. Remember we let an even better openside breakaway get away not that long ago.

You are of the opinion that a different coach would have selected Gill ahead of Hooper or Pocock? For the record Deans debuted both Pocock and Hooper and Mackenzie made Hooper captain. It was shit timing for Gill, nothing else.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
I think the two things are mutually exclusive. Even if Wright does become our best 7 in 2021, Hooper will already be 3 years into the 5 year contract and a lot of the value will have been realised.

RA is pretty conscious that there is a lot of generational change happening after this RWC and are trying to lock in a number of key players they think are still a strong chance of being there in 2023 but will help provide continuity after this RWC.
I think they are linked. They'll be paying a million a year still in years 4 & 5. Either hoops will be the best 7 in the country then, or theyre paying a million bucks for a bench warmer at best or starting him BECAUSE theyre paying him a mill.
Whichever of those its money that wont be available to pay whomever is the best 7 in 4 years time
Hell of a gamble. Exodus of good 7s coming i fear.
The fact he isnt even our best 7 now just notches it up yo ludicrous
Good on hoops though, better negotiator than me

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Maybe its confirmation bias but Cheiks didn't fill me with anything remotely resembling confidence.

Nice guy and good on him for doing the pod and good work as always by the GAGR team making it happen.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
OK barring injury, or drastic loss of form, i'm settled in the following positions. A few yet to be chalked in...

1. Sio/Slipper. Either or starting, doesn't matter.
3. Thor/AAA. Preferably AAA starting.
4. Rodda
5. Arnold
6. Jones
8. Fuck anyone who isn't on the McCaffrey train, i'll fight you
9. Genia
10. Cooper clear by a few lengths atm, Lealiifano next up.
12. Kerevi
13. Kuridrani
14. Folau
15. Banks/DHP

17. Sio/Slipper
18. Thor/AAA
19. Coleman/Tui
20. Samu - at least one bloke playing in the side should have experience of winning something.

Fainga'a the front runner at 2. Latu too stupid and Nau is cooked. Rangi looking energetic....

I'd be alternating Hooper and Pocock at this point. Cant start both, both 80 min players.

Naivalu/Koriobete and Maddocks options for vacant wing.

Reserve backs to be a HFC decision. Hunt/Meakes/Lilo for the inside back option, various outside backs for the other.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
8. Fuck anyone who isn't on the McCaffrey train, i'll fight you.
If you’re suggesting he’s been playing better than Naisarani at 8 all season, you might have a few black eyes.

I’m loving what McCaffrey has been doing but I think he’s fighting with the likes of Samu for the backrow forward spot on the bench

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
Just having a crack at naming my Wallabies team, prepared to cop flack for the amount of Waratahs and selection of Swinton (anyone who supports the Waratahs gets belted it seems) but I think the Ben Darwin philosophy of cohesion is so important.

1. Sio 2. Fitzpatrick 3. Alalaatoa 4. Rodda 5. Simmons (vc) 6. Hanigan 7. Hooper (c) 8. Dempsey 9. Phipps 10. Foley (vc) 11. Kerevi 12. Beale 13. Ashley-Cooper 14. Haylett-Petty 15. I Folau

16. Polota-Nau or Hugh Roach 17. Kepu 18. Tupou 19. Swinton 20. Pocock 21. Gordon 22. Hodge 23. Magnay

Genia and Cooper are too polarising and I'd need to be 110% sure that I could trust them to follow Hoops and not try and run the show themselves. Kerevi and Magnay to play the Naiyaravoro role of big meat on the left wing. Swinton selection is to add enthusiasm plus I rate him very highly and would also take Scott-Young and Liam Wright to the World Cup to encourage them to stay in Aussie rugby.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Just having a crack at naming my Wallabies team, prepared to cop flack for the amount of Waratahs and selection of Swinton (anyone who supports the Waratahs gets belted it seems) but I think the Ben Darwin philosophy of cohesion is so important.

1. Sio 2. Fitzpatrick 3. Alalaatoa 4. Rodda 5. Simmons (vc) 6. Hanigan 7. Hooper (c) 8. Dempsey 9. Phipps 10. Foley (vc) 11. Kerevi 12. Beale 13. Ashley-Cooper 14. Haylett-Petty 15. I Folau

16. Polota-Nau or Hugh Roach 17. Kepu 18. Tupou 19. Swinton 20. Pocock 21. Gordon 22. Hodge 23. Magnay

Genia and Cooper are too polarising and I'd need to be 110% sure that I could trust them to follow Hoops and not try and run the show themselves. Kerevi and Magnay to play the Naiyaravoro role of big meat on the left wing. Swinton selection is to add enthusiasm plus I rate him very highly and would also take Scott-Young and Liam Wright to the World Cup to encourage them to stay in Aussie rugby.
Surely a pisstake, Roach on the bench? Well, I guess he was great at club level last year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Newsome unlucky to miss out

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
Surely a pisstake, Roach on the bench? Well, I guess he was great at club level last year.
Can throw a line out. Fitzy and Roach are the best throwers and know Simmons the best. Fainga’a, Paenga-Amosa and Uelese have all been professional for less time than Fitzy and Roach as well. Don’t think the Tahs would’ve beaten the Crusaders on the weekend if their line out wasn’t so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.