• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It used not to concern us at all which of the NH sides we met and where they were in their respective cycles of success. Now any one of the home nations (does that include Ireland?) scares the pants off us.

Given 4 of the 6 Rugby World Cups we didn't win we were knocked out by a European side (3x England, 1x France), maybe we should have been more concerned?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
It used not to concern us at all which of the NH sides we met and where they were in their respective cycles of success. Now any one of the home nations (does that include Ireland?) scares the pants off us.
They are mostly way better than they used to be though. Every team, including the All Blacks look at them nervously now

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I agree.

I think the expectation still has to be that we make the semi-finals.

Losing in the quarters is a failure (even if it means we only lost games we were not favoured to win).

Making the semi finals is a success.

Making the final or winning is obviously a massive over-achievement.

Success is winning. Anything less is a failure. The only metric then is how much of a failure it is.

No team should be planning on "competing" or "happy just to be there" et al.

#bringbillhome

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Success is winning. Anything less is a failure. The only metric then is how much of a failure it is.

No team should be planning on "competing" or "happy just to be there" et al.

#bringbillhome

The two things aren't mutually exclusive. You can go with the full intention of winning but not winning doesn't mean it is a failure.

You have to judge things with a level of common sense over pure rhetoric. It's ridiculous to suggest that 19 of the 20 countries at the 2019 Rugby World Cup will have to judge their tournament as a failure because they didn't win.

If a minnow makes it to the semi finals should they be judging their tournament as a failure which wildly exceeded expectations and was their best result ever? That makes no sense.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think the first big tick would be for the Wallabies to make it out of the group in first place. If they can manage that, the draw is reasonably good through to the final if they play up to potential. Finish second and in all likelihood they'll get dusted by the Poms and Eddie fucking Jones, which nobody wants to see.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I reckon we’re good for one big performance. In 2011 it was knocking over SA in the quarters and in 2015 knocking over England in the pool. I’d back us to give England a good run for their money if we got them in the quarters but not to make it any further. If we get through the quarters unscathed against France I’d back us over Ireland in a semi but to fall down in the final.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Ok so last RWC was a decent performance. Fair enough.

So maybet Gits in the lockerroom will help lead us back to those heady heights if 2015 when we could at least beat scotland, just.

At least with Gits on the sideline he cant crab across field.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
The two things aren't mutually exclusive. You can go with the full intention of winning but not winning doesn't mean it is a failure.

You have to judge things with a level of common sense over pure rhetoric. It's ridiculous to suggest that 19 of the 20 countries at the 2019 Rugby World Cup will have to judge their tournament as a failure because they didn't win.

If a minnow makes it to the semi finals should they be judging their tournament as a failure which wildly exceeded expectations and was their best result ever? That makes no sense.

re: minnows it goes without saying. Any tier 1 nations goal would be winning.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Pretty sure our worst year in living memory was last year with le cheik at the helm. So yes it has gone south under his watch.

I wasn't referring to the last couple of years of Australian rugby results, I was referring to the ascendancy of Northern Hemisphere rugby over the last 30 years

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Sooo, if Israel is turfed from the game they play in heaven, what is our back up plan?
DHP or Hodge at fullback. With Maddocks/Koroibete/Hodge on the wing? Beale in there somewhere perhaps. Petaia would be a handy return from injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.