• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Don't hate the idea of Beale on the wing but i seriously doubt it will ever happen.
I could envisage a scenario where DHP and Beale swap around the traditional positioning on attack and defence so it would really depend just on who wears what jersey number. Dual fullbacks.

I think with K-K in the centres we need a second playmaker other than DHP, however several argue that Genia is the second playmaker.

Re the ‘experts’ selections a couple of pages back, they are never right, or not the controversial calls anyway. I know he’s not on the panel this time but Horan was the worst, especially when it came to forwards, he really had no idea.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I agree he is underwhelming, but if we are looking for a back up inside back 10/12 I think he will get the nod (I would take Lilo) I think JOC (James O'Connor) is competing with Beale & Hodge

Of those three I personally would choose Hunt.

Then JOC (James O'Connor) - to be proven.

Then To'omua.

Then Hodge.

Then daylight.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think Beale is either at fullback or fulfilling the same sub role he had at the last RWC.........

DHP and Banks both being a bit more flexible for a fullback/wing role...............

I wouldn't have Maddocks there, but if he was I'd only consider him for the wing.

And then of course Hodge covers everywhere, and I don't see any room for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Id be surprised if oconnor had signed with RA without some assurance frin cheika that he'll be in the squad

S

Show-n-go

Id be surprised if oconnor had signed with RA without some assurance frin cheika that he'll be in the squad

On the flip side I can’t see Thorn signing him to the reds if any such assurances were asked for

S

Show-n-go

How would thorn know what discussions took place between oconnor and cheika?

I was meaning with JOC (James O'Connor) and his employment with the reds

If he was asking for assurances to be in a wallaby squad logic would also dictate that if that were the case he would have also sought assurances about his involvement in the run on side/match day 23 for the reds

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
James O'Connor signed with Queensland from 2020, he's on a plane to Australia and is immediately eligible to join the Wallabies training squad.

Big news.

Hopefully his head is properly screwed on and he fulfills the deep deep pool of talent he was blessed with.

This would have been exciting news about 6 years ago

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
This applies to Maddocks as well, IMO. He got bulldozed in his few appearances at test level. Very skeptical of his ability to step up.

I think a test level winger needs to be explosive and powerful in contact like Koroibete, Naivalu even Hodge

I think Maddocks will come good physically if he's given a bit more time - only 22 (Mogg debuted around 25 I think - Banks is 25 or 26 now) and considerably taller than both Mogg and Banks. Still lots of growing into his body to do at 22 and already thicker in the torso than Banks/Mogg too.

Or being involved with the Wallabies for too long breaks him mentally and we end up with our own miniature Alex Cuthbert.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I was meaning with JOC (James O'Connor) and his employment with the reds

If he was asking for assurances to be in a wallaby squad logic would also dictate that if that were the case he would have also sought assurances about his involvement in the run on side/match day 23 for the reds

I don't think JOC (James O'Connor) is the same caliber as he was before the first time he left Australia but he'd had to have fallen a very, very long way to not get into the Reds 23 on merit.

S

Show-n-go

I don't think JOC (James O'Connor) is the same caliber as he was before the first time he left Australia but he'd had to have fallen a very, very long way to not get into the Reds 23 on merit.

I 100% agree, was just making the point I don’t think he was given any assurances by anyone, especially given his past

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
I 100% agree, was just making the point I don’t think he was given any assurances by anyone, especially given his past

He's been recruited back by Cheika/Johnson so would be confident of being part of the Wallabies - sounds like they have put a lot of effort into bringing him back and he will see with the experience of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) that when they entice you back they select you. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a case of Leroy Houston though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree he is underwhelming, but if we are looking for a back up inside back 10/12 I think he will get the nod (I would take Lilo) I think JOC (James O'Connor) is competing with Beale & Hodge

I agree that Lilo should be the backup 10 and if that's the case and To'omua is now not your second choice 10 and not in your planned 23 then someone like JOC (James O'Connor) might be a better squad fit as he can play 11-15.

Liam Wright at 8 is just picking the Pooper with all the problems that entails without the advantages that Pocock gives you.

That's not going to happen. The only reason Wright would go to South Africa is if Samu doesn't make the trip and the only other 7 option they have there is Dempsey (who isn't a 7). It would be as an emergency in case Hooper can't play, not an option to select alongside him.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Surely he is the replacement for Samu Kerevi at 12?
I think so. Cheika has always been good at identifying short comings and scrounging for cover. The odds of Kerevi making it through 15 tests wouldnt be so high you could make it without cover.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Liam Wright at 8 is just picking the Pooper with all the problems that entails without the advantages that Pocock gives you.
The only reason you would do it is because Hooper is not a fetcher so you put a fetcher at 8 rather than a line bender.
We should have 4 possible lineout targets, so to me that means Jones or LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6 and McCaffery or Isi at 8.
If we only have the two jumpers we will get rogered silly at the lineout.
Banks or DHP at FB as with no Izzy the bomb will be a choice tactic and I don't want to see the ball bouncing 20 yerds off KB (Kurtley Beale)'s chest constantly. Whoever, doesn't start at FB should be on the wing as a kicking option.

Prop: Sio, Slipper, Ala'alatoa, Kepu, Tupou
Hooker: Fainga'a, Uelese, BPA
Lock: Rodda, Arnold, Philip, Simmons
Backrow: Hooper, Jones, Naisarani, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Samu, McCaffrey
Scrum Half: Genia, Phipps, Powell
Fly half: Leali'ifano, Cooper
Centres: Kerevi, Kuridrani, Meakes, CFS????
Back three: Koroibete, DHP, Banks, Speight, Beale, Hodge

It is a difficult squad to pick because there is no obvious backup to the starting K+K centres.

Best squad I've seen yet. Pretty clear that fans generally have now discarded Adam Coleman. On form, there's no argument, but on experience, surely he will be considered along the same lines as the Beale supporters point to his 580 odd tests when he is not the form No 15 in the Aussie conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.