• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
So do we now judge "6s" by their ability to not be skinned on the outside by Bridge? That would limit our options to ................ no one
It's pretty incredible the heat LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is copping for this compared to what CLL is getting for the single worst play of the whole game (how many times do you reckon the coaches mention no shallow aimless mid-field kicks to the ABs back 3, especially from full back when no one else can advance in the defensive line.)

Edit Actually Kerevi's quick tap from his own 15m line with absolutely no support which was immediately turned over for a try was probably the worst, but given the time and score I'll give a pass on that one

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's pretty incredible the heat LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is copping for this compared to what CLL is getting for the single worst play of the whole game (how many times do you reckon the coaches mention no shallow aimless mid-field kicks to the ABs back 3, especially from full back when no one else can advance in the defensive line.)

He's certainly getting a bit of a free ride at the moment. In my view he had one solid game against Argentina where he did his job but not a lot more, a good game in Bled 1 and a terrible game in Bled 2.

I feel like there'd be complete outrage if Foley was reinstated but realistically it's probably a coin toss at the moment on who is going to do a better job.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Jones is like Simmons in that he is better off starting as they have positve set piece and workrate, however limited impact as finishers. Either start or not at all. Opposite was Mcmahon, who was far more damaging off the bench then he was as a starter.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He's certainly getting a bit of a free ride at the moment. In my view he had one solid game against Argentina where he did his job but not a lot more, a good game in Bled 1 and a terrible game in Bled 2.

I feel like there'd be complete outrage if Foley was reinstated but realistically it's probably a coin toss at the moment on who is going to do a better job.
I think the sad reality is that we just dont have a 10 capable of winning a major trophy.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the sad reality is that we just dont have a 10 capable of winning a major trophy.

It's certainly not one of our strongest positions which is obviously troubling because it's such an important one.

I don't think a substantially better 10 would suddenly improve our results by a substantial margin though. Consistency of our forwards is the most important thing. In the 2015 RWC we strung together quite a few strong performances and made the final.

Our forwards were brilliant against the All Blacks in Bledisloe 1. It's going to take a few performances like that in key games to make a similar run at this RWC.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
What are you going to do at blindside?

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) really is not up to this level. Sorry. He shows odd glimpses but when it gets nasty and tight he is nowhere to be found. That is EXACTLY the time your blindside should come into their own. Look at all the great blindsides over the years. Finegan, Kaino. Tom Wood, Juan Smit. Immovable objects in the tight when the chips were down, link between forwards and backs when the game loosens up. this is why I would start Pocock with Hooper immediately when he's fit. Screw height. Work out the lineout. A good coach will figure it out.

It's going to be Brutal against the likes of Wales at the breakdown. This is where they WILL attack you guys. What they did to Ireland in the final 6N games this year was incredible. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) will be a liability in that battle.

He is fine tight, in fact it is his natural inclination. At 6 he is playing wider and in the train tracks. Wider is his challenge. Personally I’d drop Jones and place LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) as finisher/back up 4, 5, 6. I’m guessing Pocock will get a starting gig which might force the change I’m talking through.

B

Bobby Sands

Cheik now like the rest of us prefers Lilo. Foley had a good run. Curtains.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Look I usually don't buy into this one player better than another stuff but today is a slow one. This simply isn't true. He doesn't need to be tall? Bullshit. He's not dynamic enough? he's plenty dynamic enough. We had Fardy with two short backrowers. How did our lineout go then? Are the two guys you want in the side short and at the brumbies? You bet!

Our lineout with Fardy was quite good actually, hence going a long way in the last WC. WE fell to shit after that with Fardy gone and the backrow mesed up. 3 jumpers is sufficient if your 8 can also jump a bit. With Naisirani, we've got a good option, so there is less onus on the 6 to be a main lineout option = if there are players a little shorter but with more power/explosiveness or other skill sets that they perform better than LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) then they should be included.

Jones looked good early in Souprugby but faded a bit, but he hasn't really had much gametime to show his wares in test rugby, neither has Valetini. Valetini is the most rounded of the 3 options, and I think would complement Hooper and Naisirani the most, if Pocock isn't starting.

With Naisirani, I think we can afford to play Pocock and Hooper - it didn't work with another short arse in the backrow, but with Naisirani a genuine option at the lineout then he is needed back on the field if healthy.

As a pack, I think this could be our best but Valetini needs to play against Samoa to see how he goes and form obviously determines is place over Jones or Wright.

Sio
Latu
AAA
Rodda
Arnold
Pocock
Hooper
Naisirani

Backs

White
Lilo - (Holy shit i'd love to see what Cooper could do with this backline and that forward pack)
Koiro
Kerevi
Beiber
Petaia/Hodge
Banks

Bench -

Slipper
Fainga
Thor
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
Valetini
Genia
Foley/To'omua
Beale - has the most impact off the bench and Banks is a much better defender/safer under the high ball.

..........or start Valetini and let Pocock dominate rucks for the final 30 and then kick into the corners for a lineout drive off his penalties. That to me is the most balanced forward pack to go into the big games with and as long as they run the ball the way they did in Perth then we'll have plenty of go-forward and tries.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I really can't see Valetini being named in the squad tomorrow. He may get a run against Samoa but he'd only be a chance to come into the RWC squad if there was an injury.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
They may take Wright. He had a few minutes against the darkness in NZ which didn’t show much, but he’s big enough to be an effective 6 and can also play 7.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah, but i'd still love to see it - kids a beast
Keep him on ice IMO.

Post RWC we'll have a new coach and a raft of departures. A new era. I think there are quite a few who will really come into their own next year.

I don't feel terribly excited about this team or their chances, but i do feel excited by our prospects moving forward. Guys like Tupou, Petaia, McReight etc.

Just waiting on that star 10 to emerge to tie it all together.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Wallabies squad for the 2019 Rugby World Cup

Forwards

Allan Ala'alatoa (34 Tests, Brumbies, 25)*

Rory Arnold (22 Tests , Brumbies, 29)*

Adam Coleman (33 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 28)*

Jack Dempsey (11 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 25)*

Folau Fainga’a (11 Tests, Brumbies, 24)*

Michael Hooper (c) (95 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 27)

Sekope Kepu (105 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 33)

Tolu Latu (15 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 26)*

Isi Naisarani (4 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 24)*

David Pocock (77 Tests, Brumbies, 31)

Izack Rodda (21 Tests, Queensland Reds, 22)*

Lukhan Salakaia-Loto (15 Tests, Queensland Reds, 23)*

Rob Simmons (97 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 30)

Scott Sio (58 Tests, Brumbies, 27)

James Slipper (90 Tests, Brumbies, 30)

Taniela Tupou (15 Tests, Queensland Reds, 23)*

Jordan Uelese (3 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 22)*

Backs

Adam Ashley-Cooper (118 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 35)

Kurtley Beale (87 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 30)

Bernard Foley (69 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 29)

Will Genia (104 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 31)

Dane Haylett-Petty (32 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 30)*

Reece Hodge (37 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 24)*

Samu Kerevi (29 Tests, Queensland Reds, 25)*

Marika Koroibete (23 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 27)*

Tevita Kuridrani (60 Tests, Brumbies, 28)

Christian Lealiifano (22 Tests, Brumbies, 31)*

James O’Connor (47 Tests, Queensland Reds, 29)

Jordan Petaia (uncapped, Queensland Reds, 19)*

Matt To’omua (46 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 29)

Nic White (26 Tests, Rugby Australia, 29)*

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
why would AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) be taking Banks spot, I would suggest DHP and Banks competed for the same spot, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (if you think he deserves to be there or not) would be covering different positions as well as the wing overlap.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He is fine tight, in fact it is his natural inclination. At 6 he is playing wider and in the train tracks. Wider is his challenge. Personally I’d drop Jones and place LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) as finisher/back up 4, 5, 6. I’m guessing Pocock will get a starting gig which might force the change I’m talking through.

With the picked squad, I don't think the plan will be taking the ball wider than twelve 99% of the time, that will keep it closer to the pigs and suit LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) or Pocock. It means the pigs can hunt closer to limit turnovers

I expect a 1,000 lines being run from Kerevi, Koro & 13 through those channels

Reactions: dru

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Stiff for Banks and Jones. Praying Genia doesn't put his head in the wrong place when tackling some big brute of a Georgian

Status
Not open for further replies.