• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Another positive from a (thus far) disappointing campaign - Michael Hooper has clearly taken a step up as a leader.

Tactically I think he's making the right calls, and his composure was key in the second half of the Fiji game.

I am also becoming a fan of his referee communication. The conversation he had with Poite after the Kerevi penalty was robust but respectful, and far better than he's been previously.

While many were critical of him last season (myself included), I think he's gone to another level in this Cup and it's great to see.

I'm going to disagree there on Hoopers ref communication. I still think it's his one downside, and he often still comes across arrogant and argumentative. I think Cheika's rubbed off him a bit and he's just too emotional to address them respectfully.

Although I do agree he's getting better, and probably still the best option unless Poey was first choice. And I agree the calls he makes are generally the rights ones. I also think the Captain role is pretty over-rated, I think it generally has little bearing on the games - unless of coarse they are really bad (like when Moore was often ignored), or really good (like McCaw or Mowen was often listened too and could get 50/50 going there way).

I rate him as above average but still work to do. In comparison I think K.Read is probably at a similar level who I think it over-rated as leader.

Bobas

Darby Loudon (17)
What a cheap shot. It's hard to imagine ANY coach would have picked him for the Wallabies in 2019.
We selected James O'Connor out of no-where and that injured guy from the reds. I think there are 5-10 unlucky players who I could have been in the 31 man squad and Cooper is one of them.

Reactions: dru

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Perhaps I'm just being dense, but I'm still at a complete loss as to the hype around Mack Mason. He must've gone to a very good school to have been identified so early as a star on the basis of what appear to be such modest talents.

It concerns me that the Brumbies have been allowed to stockpile Lolesio, Künzle and Pasitoa (with the ACT schoolboys flyhalf whose name escapes me in their academy) while the Waratahs are staring down the barrel of a whole season with no choice but to start Mason at 10. I sincerely hope he proves me wrong.

Well that's the question, he did show hints of potential early on but we just haven't seen him given much game time at Super level to really guage where he is at. I personally didn't think there was any more or less hype than some of these other young players people are get carried away with.

He's playing ok in NRC and being paired with Gordon is giving those two a chance to develop a partnership, then there is Will Harrison who has potential paired up with Mitch Short and Michael McDonald for the other NSW NRC team, so the Tahs are getting a sense where their stocks are at.. future Wallabies, who knows, alot of these players need put in a season or two of performances at Super level first.

Canberra definitely have some interesting prospects on the books.. I liked the look of Lolesio when I saw him play for the Vikings.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We selected James O'Connor out of no-where and that injured guy from the reds. I think there are 5-10 unlucky players who I could have been in the 31 man squad and Cooper is one of them.

Let's agree to disagree. I don't think any coach selects Quade Cooper in 2019 given his current season play and history.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't rate Mason either but the Tahs are at least as well stocked with Harrison and Donaldson. I'm not sure Lolesio or Kunzle are further developed than Harrison. None of them are options I'd like starting in Super Rugby in 2020 (same goes for the Brumbies options).
Not starting young players hasn't done much for our 10 stocks. May as well try starting them.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I am looking forward to not having to listen to Cheika whine about the fucking ref, I tell ya.

If I've had a few and I'm pissed off my team just lost and I have a bit of rant about a red stuffing this or that decision it's fine because I'm just some knob in the pub.

From our international coach after damn near every match? He's usually wrong, too.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Nah 50/50 call between Cooper and Foley.

In reality I think this was 0/100 and that is after Foley had a pretty poor season.

Cooper hadn't played a test for two years, had just had a season not playing and then his form fell away badly in the back half of the season as the Rebels fell apart.

I don't really understand how anyone could have thought that Cooper was in the picture for the RWC squad.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I am looking forward to not having to listen to Cheika whine about the fucking ref, I tell ya.

If I've had a few and I'm pissed off my team just lost and I have a bit of rant about a red stuffing this or that decision it's fine because I'm just some knob in the pub.

From our international coach after damn near every match? He's usually wrong, too.

He is just too emotional. He is really not a good ambassador for Australia, it's making us look like a bunch or whinges. I really hate how he came and out said "everyone is against Australia" - I don't think that is the case at all.

I will be more then happy to stop listening to that kind of garbage next year.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
In reality I think this was 0/100 and that is after Foley had a pretty poor season.

Cooper hadn't played a test for two years, had just had a season not playing and then his form fell away badly in the back half of the season as the Rebels fell apart.

I don't really understand how anyone could have thought that Cooper was in the picture for the RWC squad.

I think its a bit of .... "if you keep trying the same thing you get the same results" mentality. I think it was clear the wallabies weren't performing and Foley was a big part of that the last 3 years. Now that Cooper had returned - who was pretty much the only other option (many had ridden Lilo off after his battle with cancer) then they expected a change.

Which does make sense. Cooper had all the opportunity to get himself in the frame, I was very disappointed he was unable to do so.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Quade was always the most susceptible to pressure anyway. Somehow I don't think he would have dealt with the shit Foley and Lilo have copped any better.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
He is just too emotional. He is really not a good ambassador for Australia, it's making us look like a bunch or whinges. I really hate how he came and out said "everyone is against Australia" - I don't think that is the case at all.

I will be more then happy to stop listening to that kind of garbage next year.

Is there any way we can make Pocock our Australian Rugby Ambassador post RWC? :)

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Cheik'a's passionate approach and immediate anti-ref tirades are appropriate at some levels where simple logic is all that is required. Lower level rugby operates on a lot of emotion which can take the place of missing skills and team strategy.
However, RWC and test match rugby require coaches who are deep thinkers because all countries analyse the game with intensity. Cheiks emotive outbursts hide any deep analysis he is capable of.
Cheika doesn't deliver the aura of a man in charge of his own emotions, especially when he speaks about referee mistakes. Refs will unconsciously rule against Oz in all 50/50 decisions because they are human.
However his passion is useful on those occasions when a stirring speech is required before a game.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I wonder whether Chubby goes off the deep end to take the pressure of his team? Or does he just do his block.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
What a cheap shot. It's hard to imagine ANY coach would have picked him for the Wallabies in 2019.
I dunno. The way that reads to me is that it was made clear to him he wouldn’t be part of it going forward and so he moved on. It doesn’t seem that overly derogatory to Cheika - more just stating a fact. Honestly I think he at least deserves some credit for how little he has said to the media.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
Not starting young players hasn't done much for our 10 stocks. May as well try starting them.

I think Lolesio is already rather a lot better than many seem to have realised. He gives the impression that he is mentally strong, which is a huge advantage for a young flyhalf. Kuenzle has the makings of a cracking first chair, but Lolesio can conduct the whole orchestra. I hope McKellar gives him the time and support he needs to make the step up this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.