• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Agree however there was talk that Lealiifano was struggling to recover. Nard got a chance and had a mare. To'omua played well off the bench (but more like a 12) and probably got the start that Lealiifano or Nard would have had if they weren't injured (ill/not recovered/resting) or out of touch.

As much as we potted the selectors for it, there is an argument to suggest their changes at 10 were entirely rational, IF you assume Lealiifano was struggling as badly as we were told after the Fiji game.

The changes at 9 made far less sense, though.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
I never want to see someone kicked when they're down but Cheika has spent the last 6-odd years bullying anyone with a microphone and contrary opinion. Reap what you sow etc etc

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
yes, because I had heard from multiple sources that he was one of the ones who couldn't stand Cheika. Which he partially acknowledges I guess

I think it is always a complicated relationship between any coach and the players. The ones he is supporting\picking vs those on the outside

I am not sure if you have to love the coach

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Anyone remember the quote about coaches being in charge of 15 players who hate them and anther group who are just waiting to hate the coach?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A bit of class from To'omua, well done.
As opposed to Quade, who previously used social media to slag off at Deans, then Thorn, now Cheika, or simply, anyone who didn't select him!

Yeah, it is a bit that 3rd divorce, by then you may be the problem

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
As much as we potted the selectors for it, there is an argument to suggest their changes at 10 were entirely rational, IF you assume Lealiifano was struggling as badly as we were told after the Fiji game.

The changes at 9 made far less sense, though.

Was it though? Only two scrumhalves and they basically played the same.
- White 3 starts v Genia 2 starts
- White 199 total game minutes v Genia 201 total game minutes

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

I think Barbarian is saying, the selection of Genia for the Welsh and Poms was silly. Both teams knew exactly how Will takes a couple steps from the ruck to pass and took advantage of that. However, White predominately passes from the base.

So, if Chieka and his assistants did their homework, they would know the Welsh 9 shoots up in defence to intercept. So you play White for that game and not Genia.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I think Barbarian is saying, the selection of Genia for the Welsh and Poms was silly. Both teams knew exactly how Will takes a couple steps from the ruck to pass and took advantage of that. However, White predominately passes from the base.

So, if Chieka and his assistants did their homework, they would know the Welsh 9 shoots up in defence to intercept. So you play White for that game and not Genia.

If the coaches did their job, Genia would have been wearing a remote controlled shock collar at training all year and anytime he so much as half stood up before passing he got a 30 second long shock.

Likewise if he didn't put the ball out in front of his target so the speed of the movement was retained.

Likewise everytime he passed it to a runner who was stationary.

Edit: and everytime he gesticulated at the ref instead of burying his head into a ruck and avoid turning the ball over.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Yes, the squad would imo have definitely been improved with a third half back to take some of the workload. The No9s must run at least twice the distance of the next runner in a match.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Under a fair and impartial head coach, the Brumbies will still supply a major part of the forwards pack for the next 2 - 4 years, Sio, Fainga'a, Ala'alatoa, Slipper, Valetini, Swain and Samu will be there or thereabouts. They will also have some handy backs who will be likely to figure in conversations as well; Powell, Kuridrani, Banks and Simone, maybe Tom Wright too.

The Reds have some fantastic talent coming through but imo will be another 2-3 years before most reach Wallaby level. Rodda, Hoopert, Mafi, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Hockings, Wright, JOC (James O'Connor) and Petaia will be in contention from next year, but the real golden age might not arrive until the likes of this year's U20s reach the next level.

Rebels will contribute to the next swathe through Leota, Ha'angana, Hosea as well as more established players like Maddocks.

Tahs will have some strong u20s talent coming through as well in Harris, Harrison and Nawaquanitawasi. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Tom Robertson and Dempsey are also players who will feature from next year.

I think the spoils will be shared around quite a bit as the next crops of Wallabies are put together towards 2023.
hilarious.
Just can't stop laughing, it's so hilarious Reg.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Under a fair and impartial head coach, the Brumbies will still supply a major part of the forwards pack for the next 2 - 4 years, Sio, Fainga'a, Ala'alatoa, Slipper, Valetini, Swain and Samu will be there or thereabouts. They will also have some handy backs who will be likely to figure in conversations as well; Powell, Kuridrani, Banks and Simone, maybe Tom Wright too.

The Reds have some fantastic talent coming through but imo will be another 2-3 years before most reach Wallaby level. Rodda, Hoopert, Mafi, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Hockings, Wright, JOC (James O'Connor) and Petaia will be in contention from next year, but the real golden age might not arrive until the likes of this year's U20s reach the next level.

Rebels will contribute to the next swathe through Leota, Ha'angana, Hosea as well as more established players like Maddocks.

Tahs will have some strong u20s talent coming through as well in Harris, Harrison and Nawaquanitawasi. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Tom Robertson and Dempsey are also players who will feature from next year.

I think the spoils will be shared around quite a bit as the next crops of Wallabies are put together towards 2023.
Darcy Swain is a strange one to include on the list. He's alright but given the locking talent we have already that are well ahead of him and the younger talent coming through it's hard to see him becoming a core member of the Wallabies in the next RWC cycle.
Said at the time I might remind you of this BH. Now seems as good a time as any.

Status
Not open for further replies.