• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Sully that's a fine sentiment but does history support it as a necessary way to go? How many tests did Lynagh play outside a Qld halfback? Genia/Cooper was an excellent partnership but not exclusive to either one. Similarly, Gregan and Bernie. I suppose had the partnership benefits been paramount in the past, people like Ben Darwin wouldn't be spruiking cohesion as the panacea to our problems right now.

I see no issue with a combination of White and To'omua or O'Connor in the upcoming tests if that's what Rennie wants.
Im pretty sure he just uses cohesion as a predictive factor. i.e. you are more likely to succeed where your team is more familiar with itself. You still wouldn't pick an inferior player because he has a partnership at club level. There's also a whole bunch of different ways to build cohesion.

He didn't talk about it but i think Japan is a great example of a highly cohesive team. They achieved it by being in camp for ages.

I think Rennie should choose his favored halves and let them learn to play with each other over the next few years. This also means allowing them to fail.

If i was building a team i would have my halves as McDermott, Gordon, Harrison and Lolesio.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Im pretty sure he just uses cohesion as a predictive factor. i.e. you are more likely to succeed where your team is more familiar with itself. You still wouldn't pick an inferior player because he has a partnership at club level. There's also a whole bunch of different ways to build cohesion.

Yeah, the specific measure is cohesion x talent. The focus is largely on cohesion because it's easier to measure and easier to change at an organisational level.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Talent will almost always trump cohesion. But cohesive talent will trump just talent. People are forgetting you still search for the talent to become cohesive with first.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
If you had to build the team around one of the ‘spines’, which would you pick?

Brumbies: Fainga'a . Samu . White . Kuenzle . Banks .
Reds: BPA . Wilson . McDermott . JOC (James O'Connor) . Campbell .
Tahs: Horton . Dempsey . Gordon . Harrison . Maddocks .
Rebs: Uelese . Naisarani . Tuttle . To'omua . DHP/Hodge .
Force: Ready . Stowers . Prior . Lance . McGregor .

You have to feed in some experience. The combinations can be spread between starters and finishers. You don't need to simply adopt the spine from one team.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
So after that effort from the Force, I think Andrew Ready has got to be in the mix at Hooker. He's very good at linetout and scrum, he gets over the ball and makes tackles. He's gotta be at worst in our top 3 hookers.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Additionally, I think To'omua pretty much has proven now he is not a flyhalf. The Rebels were better with a worse player on the field in Deegan (worse than more or less than all the backs).

For the Reds vs Brumbies I think all the Reds back row really stood up, Willson was fairly quite, but both Wright and McReight were VERY good. McReight is SERIOUSLY GOOD -- like Pocock good!

O'Connor locked in the 10 spot (especially with To'omua playing poorly), that probably means Tate should be locked in at 9 (or at least on the wing! /s). Tupou has it all over AAAAA. And Blyth showed why he's gotta be in that lock conversation.

Not too many of the Brumbies really did themselves too many favors but that's to be expected given the circumstances. The Reds really controlled that game from the kick off.

Samu was classy as always, Banks probably has done enough to secure the 15 position (although Campbell showed in a year or two he'll be under-threat).

Hooker is probably still an open question.

I'd say at this point the guys locked in look something like this:
1. ???
2. ???
3. Tupou
4. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
5. ???
6. ???
7. ???
6/7/8. Samu
9. McDermott
10. O'Connor
11. Koroibete
12. To'omua
13. Petaia
14. ???
15. Banks

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Banks is definitely not locked in....

I don't think he played too badly tonight, but was definitely outplayed by Campbell.

I'd say the fullback position is DHP's to lose.

It's not popular but I still like Hodge at 15. I guess DHP will take it.

Jock Campbell is super awesome way better than many realise. But don't think he'll make the squad let alone the 23. This year. Watch this space.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah, fair I'd not disagree on Banks, but who would you have instead?

Maddocks hasn't got any more games, and DHP has been injured and when he wasn't he wasn't particularly good, and it's too soon to pick Campbell. Maybe Hodge???

I don't think Sio is quite there. Let's just hope someone really lays claim to it.

B

Bobby Sands

6. Liam Wright

Also FWIW I absolutely love Samu as a player. Think he should start ahead of Wilson, because he’s earned a good shot at the jersey.

I strongly believe in making players earn it, which is why I don’t mind too much Hooper playing ahead of Fraser as well.

I do think we will be much more successful with Fraser at 7 in time though. He just wins.

B

Bobby Sands

It's not popular but I still like Hodge at 15. I guess DHP will take it.

Jock Campbell is super awesome way better than many realise. But don't think he'll make the squad let alone the 23. This year. Watch this space.

I genuinely think Campbell is better than Banks.

But I agree Hodge is probably the best currently.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
If we are going to blood a few young guys then we need plenty of experience and stability elsewhere. With no one else really banging down the door, I’d suggest we go with DHP.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah, fair I'd not disagree on Banks, but who would you have instead?

Maddocks hasn't got any more games, and DHP has been injured and when he wasn't he wasn't particularly good, and it's too soon to pick Campbell. Maybe Hodge???

I don't think Sio is quite there. Let's just hope someone really lays claim to it.

This is my answer. Though I suspect it will be Maddocks or DHP.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I really think all of Willson, Wright and McReight are all viable Wallabies starters. And while I think Wright probably just edges out McReight right now it'd be 51/49 to Wright, but in another game or two it'd be as close 50/50 as possible. But frankly you could probably pick out any 3 Australian backrowers at random and you'd just as likely to get it right as anyone guessing about it on here. And I still think Hooper ought to be riding the bench -- especially if we get another game or two like we just did from Wright & McReight.

Morphett22

Bob McCowan (2)
I think it’s fair to suggest Wrongerz-Hoops-Samu are the three form players in their positions, however, that back row concerns me. Lacks a bit of bulk to make metres in tight and, although Wright and Samu are serviceable, I don’t see us having much of a lineout regardless who you pick at hooker and across the back row. McDermott ahead of White for me after tonight, lack of a full back is a huge concern.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The lineout is definitely a concern, though Wright and Samu do get the ball thrown to them regularly. I think Samu is an underrated ball carrier, he's more than useful in close to the ruck for mine.