• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I think we will see Kerevi and a lock (Rodda/Skelton/Arnold). Depending fitness I think he will be happy with Simmons, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Philip as 3 of his 4 options, with one person in to fill the gap. Kerevi to come in as beyond To'omua and JOC (James O'Connor) there is a big gap to the next best 12 option. Kerevi is also potentially the worlds best 12, so I see Rennie wanting you try his hand at making that happen. Aus genuinely lacks players that could be in the conversation. Latu over the other hookers I can’t see, he might be currently a better player than the options available but the talent difference to the chasing options is small. The upgrade isn’t worth the waste of a spot that could be filled by others.

Kerevi is very good on his day, but there is a big problem with Rugby if a player who lacks so many basic skills that are required for the position can be the best.

If required, a 12 need to be able to distribute the ball with a good passing game and also possess a good kicking game that can be relied on for consistently good kicks.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Apparently Australia A fixtures been lined up to be played against Argentina. Would love to see who would make that team

It's a great decision, particularly with all the young talent we have coming through

Depends a bit on what the wallabies 23 is going to look like and whether those will be off playing a Bledisloe at the same time. Assuming there isn't too much restriction on that availability I'd probably look at something like this:

• I'd look at a Tahs and a Rebels front row of Bell, Horton and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) and Orr, Uelese (if he's not in the wallabies 23) and Pone and give each set 40 minutes. If Uelese is in the wallabies 23 than probably BPA to give those guys the best scrummaging alternative to work with.
  • Locks will depend on how many are being pulled in from overseas but probably some combo of Phillips, Blyth and Hosea.
  • 6 is wholly dependent on who makes the wallabies 23 and I'd probably just play the next cab off the rank there (one of Wright/Valetini/Stander/Dempsey)
  • Mcreight in 7 is just about certain and I'd have Wilson in 8. Both these guys look like the future, this is a great opportunity for their development
  • Starting halves would be Gordon and Harrison, give the young guy the best chance at 10 by maintaining his club partnership there.
  • For the centres I'd have Simone at 12 and then 13 is a choice between giving Kuridraini a chance to regain some form and Taking a look at Paisami at a higher level, my preference being Paisami.
  • Wingers would be Ramm and whichever of Daugunu and Wright is not going to be in the wallabies.
  • 15 (I think it's a pretty safe assumption one will be at this point). For fullback I'd give Campbell a run. He's been in scintillating form but it's unclear how his game will go at test level, so this is a good opportunity to take a look at it a level closer.
And for the bench:
  • Bench front row I've already mentioned, lock and backrow is whoever is left.
  • At halfback I'd have McDermott, with the idea that he'd play the role they want him to play in the wallabies test a few weeks later.
  • Lolesio as back up 10 (assuming he's fit), rounded out with one of Maddocks, Godwin, CFS and Banks, depending on who is left.
  • Could also do 6/2 to take a look at an extra lock.
So given all that I'd have:
  1. Bell
  2. Horton
  3. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
  4. Phillip
  5. Blyth
  6. L. Wright(c)/Valetini
  7. McReight
  8. Wilson
  9. Gordon(c if L. Wright is not there)
  10. Harrison
  11. Daugunu/T. Wright
  12. Simone
  13. Paisami
  14. Ramm
  15. Campbell
  16. Uelese/BPA
  17. Orr
  18. Pone
  19. Hosea
  20. Valetini/Dempsey/Stander
  21. McDermott
  22. Lolesio
  23. Maddocks/Banks/Godwin/CFS
If it has to be fully separate from the Wallabies 23 (or more) off playing the Bledisloe tests than who knows. Either way I'm really happy they're bring Australia A back.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's a great decision, particularly with all the young talent we have coming through

Depends a bit on what the wallabies 23 is going to look like and whether those will be off playing a Bledisloe at the same time. Assuming there isn't too much restriction on that availability I'd probably look at something like this:

• I'd look at a Tahs and a Rebels front row of Bell, Horton and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) and Orr, Uelese (if he's not in the wallabies 23) and Pone and give each set 40 minutes. If Uelese is in the wallabies 23 than probably BPA to give those guys the best scrummaging alternative to work with.
  • Locks will depend on how many are being pulled in from overseas but probably some combo of Phillips, Blyth and Hosea.
  • 6 is wholly dependent on who makes the wallabies 23 and I'd probably just play the next cab off the rank there (one of Wright/Valetini/Stander/Dempsey)
  • Mcreight in 7 is just about certain and I'd have Wilson in 8. Both these guys look like the future, this is a great opportunity for their development
  • Starting halves would be Gordon and Harrison, give the young guy the best chance at 10 by maintaining his club partnership there.
  • For the centres I'd have Simone at 12 and then 13 is a choice between giving Kuridraini a chance to regain some form and Taking a look at Paisami at a higher level, my preference being Paisami.
  • Wingers would be Ramm and whichever of Daugunu and Wright is not going to be in the wallabies.
  • 15 (I think it's a pretty safe assumption one will be at this point). For fullback I'd give Campbell a run. He's been in scintillating form but it's unclear how his game will go at test level, so this is a good opportunity to take a look at it a level closer.
And for the bench:
  • Bench front row I've already mentioned, lock and backrow is whoever is left.
  • At halfback I'd have McDermott, with the idea that he'd play the role they want him to play in the wallabies test a few weeks later.
  • Lolesio as back up 10 (assuming he's fit), rounded out with one of Maddocks, Godwin, CFS and Banks, depending on who is left.
  • Could also do 6/2 to take a look at an extra lock.
So given all that I'd have:
  1. Bell
  2. Horton
  3. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
  4. Phillip
  5. Blyth
  6. L. Wright(c)/Valetini
  7. McReight
  8. Wilson
  9. Gordon(c if L. Wright is not there)
  10. Harrison
  11. Daugunu/T. Wright
  12. Simone
  13. Paisami
  14. Ramm
  15. Campbell
  16. Uelese/BPA
  17. Orr
  18. Pone
  19. Hosea
  20. Valetini/Dempsey/Stander
  21. McDermott
  22. Lolesio
  23. Maddocks/Banks/Godwin/CFS
If it has to be fully separate from the Wallabies 23 (or more) off playing the Bledisloe tests than who knows. Either way I'm really happy they're bring Australia A back.
Pretty good summary, can’t argue with much of that.

Wouldn’t surprise me to see HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) as a LH cause I can see him been the 3rd choice in that space. The PONI squad had him at both sides

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) would be a decent choice as 5th prop because he can cover both sides, bit like how Kepu used to.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It will be the 23 blokes of the 46 man squad who aren't in the match day 23 won't it? Largely at least, there will be a a couple of injury cover you'd think.

The Aus are reporting that this fixture will be a warm up for Arg, they will also play a Super team, presumably the Tahs.

Highkicks

Herbert Moran (7)
Long time lurker, first post here. Hello everyone!

I feel like I might be in the minority here but I really struggle to see the point of an O'connor/To'omua 10/12 combo. Maybe they are being viewed as the "safe" option but possibly that's the perceived comfort of familiarity rather than an actual safe or, more to the point, the good option. Both of these guys, as it currently stands, don't have a good kicking game, are slow, don't have a long passing game, questionable decision making, aren't illusive and are not dominant in contact (take this with a grain of salt, obviously any player in contention for a Wallabies spot is an amazing player, just at the highest level they are not a standout in any of those facets). I can understand one being played at 10, as no one else has really outperformed O'Connor, aside from Lolesio and possibly having 2 uncapped players here is a bad idea but there is really no way of predicting that or comparing the alternative after the fact.

Both Simone and Stewart bring a lot more to 12 than either of the other two. They have been the most consistent performers at 12 all year and I think Simone is on form, the best 12 in the country at the moment (excluding the last game which was a bit of a shocker). Unlike O'Connor and To'omua, he has a fantastic passing game, a longer kicking game and is dangerous with ball in hand. The same can be said about Stewart, although they do have different strengths and weaknesses, Stewart is not such a threat with the ball at this stage and can definitely improve his discipline. Not to mention both have a higher tackle success rate than the other two, albeit marginally.

If Kerevi is also an option then I would almost certainly take him too. While maybe he can stifle a backline, I believe with maturity he can continue to develop into a more rounded player. When you are young and can run through entire teams, you are going to do so, as he ages hopefully he can bring more facets into his play. As it stands he doesn't have much of a long passing game but no one in Australia outside of Simone does.

Just to touch on the "safe" option mentioned before. A lot of the older established players at this level have experienced very little success and aren't dominant in many key areas of their position. I can't understand how they are perceived as safe just because of experience. Going off their history alone, it would be a safe to bet on a loss with many of them. If you're consistently playing well enough to be selected then you should be, you risk more by not starting players in form and demanding selection, as they can completely go off the boil or even leave for greener pastures and rightly so. Give them a chance, expect a few stumbles and don't overreact when they happen. If they are playing well enough to warrant selection then give them a fair chance, don't have them stuck behind mediocrity for a misplaced sense of security.

Didn't mean to write an essay for my first post but here we are. On topic I'd probably pick Latu and Kerevi, I actually think our second rows are in good order so long as Simmons isn't involved in the 23.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Kerevi is a bit of a one trick pony, the top international sides won't have much trouble containing him. If he were still here, he might be a good bench option, could create some chances when the game opens up towards the end. But if it means giving away one of the two spots, I would vote for a lock anytime. We have some adequate locks, for sure, with a lot of improvement in them, but we do not have a dominator. I would go with Arnold, he is as strong as anybody around, and Latu.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Kerevi has not played at any reasonable level since mid Feb apparently. I don’t think even if fit that he will add to the current crop. We are loaded with good options at centre. We need a bit of grunt and nous up front, particularly in the row.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Hi
tenor.gif

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Kerevi is a bit of a one trick pony, the top international sides won't have much trouble containing him. If he were still here, he might be a good bench option, could create some chances when the game opens up towards the end. But if it means giving away one of the two spots, I would vote for a lock anytime. We have some adequate locks, for sure, with a lot of improvement in them, but we do not have a dominator. I would go with Arnold, he is as strong as anybody around, and Latu.
I get what everyone says about Kerevi being a one trick pony and also that he might stifle our outside players.

But the comment here by you, and it is one many others have made, that international teams will contain him has been shown to be false. He might have one trick but he’s extremely good at it and he has demonstrated at test level that he will bust through even the best defenders and he does it often.

His problem is not beating the defence, it is that once he has done it he makes either poor options or poor execution of his option when linking with support and that he doesn’t free up his outside backs. He is also inconsistent in defence. I do think he (and many others) were judged harshly on their defence given the barn dance defence pattern that Cheika employed, but he was clearly not a consistently accurate defender like To'omua or Kuridrani (up until last week) and he makes poor reads.

I’d like to see Kerevi kept in the broader picture for the test squad. If my memory serves my correctly Nonu didn’t actually develop his skills base until his mid 20s and before then his game was much more power based. I did think we saw some improvement in Kerevi’s willingness to ball play last year, but his execution needs a lot of work. But if he can get that bit up to scratch and improve his defence - and I consider both those things to be coachable - then the natural gifts he brings will put him head and shoulders above any other contenders.

Of course, statements like that last one are much easier written down then done and in our last 15 years one thing we have been exceedingly poor at is addressing the skill deficiencies in our top line players.

Highkicks

Herbert Moran (7)
Kerevi has not played at any reasonable level since mid Feb apparently. I don’t think even if fit that he will add to the current crop. We are loaded with good options at centre. We need a bit of grunt and nous up front, particularly in the row.

I think there is a lot of potential for the 12's coming through but there is no one available that has dominated as much as Kerevi as it stands. Even if it is only in carrying, which is a fairly handy trick for a 12 by the way. Would be happy to see Simone given a chance though.

I assume you mean the 2row? LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Philip both play very hard, are aggressive and effective in contact. Honestly the way they have been playing is exactly what I'd want from the 2nd row. Running hard in tight, making lots of dominant tackles and hitting rucks. Only concern is whether Philip can replicate it at test level. It's hard to find stats but he also runs the lineout very well. Hosea, while young has also played well, possibly enough for a bench spot. Arnold would be great but I feel we are lacking more in other positions.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think there is a lot of potential for the 12's coming through but there is no one available that has dominated as much as Kerevi as it stands. Even if it is only in carrying, which is a fairly handy trick for a 12 by the way. Would be happy to see Simone given a chance though.

I assume you mean the 2row? LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Philip both play very hard, are aggressive and effective in contact. Honestly the way they have been playing is exactly what I'd want from the 2nd row. Running hard in tight, making lots of dominant tackles and hitting rucks. Only concern is whether Philip can replicate it at test level. It's hard to find stats but he also runs the lineout very well. Hosea, while young has also played well, possibly enough for a bench spot. Arnold would be great but I feel we are lacking more in other positions.
Which positions?
We have some serious front row grunt and an exciting group of back rowers. The engine room needs to be experienced and strong to match up with the other RC teams. Im a big fan of Hosea, Blyth and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and the best thing for them is to be mentored by a test lock at top of his game. Someone like Arnold.
I don’t see any obvious holes in the backs.

edit
With JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua we have two experienced test players to play at 12. After that we have the likes of Simone, Stewart and I would guess it is the best spot for Paisami.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Some people must be having a laugh.

Kerevi is a mile ahead of the consistent selections we have at 12 at SRAU level. All solid players that hopefully will get better but not near Kerevi’s level and to be honest don’t think they ever will be.

The way I always look at these selections is who would the opposition rather see in the lineup and Kerevi is the last selection they want to see there.

Highkicks

Herbert Moran (7)
Which positions?
We have some serious front row grunt and an exciting group of back rowers. The engine room needs to be experienced and strong to match up with the other RC teams. Im a big fan of Hosea, Blyth and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and the best thing for them is to be mentored by a test lock at top of his game. Someone like Arnold.
I don’t see any obvious holes in the backs.

edit
With JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua we have two experienced test players to play at 12. After that we have the likes of Simone, Stewart and I would guess it is the best spot for Paisami.

Hooker and 12 as mentioned. None of the hookers are in form and all are throwing pretty poorly. I'd say it's currently our weakest position.

I can't find the exact stats but LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) has 21 caps and Arnold either 19 or 26 - I think 26 more likely - either way there is not much difference there. Philip is 26 and also has 3 test caps. While not vastly experienced, they are hardly spring chickens in need of mentoring from any of the overseas 2nd rows. In fact I'd suggest they are perfectly capable of doing any mentoring themselves, if that's even needed or possible. Not saying Arnold is a bad option but we have at least 4 locks who have been playing consistently well in Australia.

12 I have already covered, my opinion of O'Connor and To'omua obviously differs to yours. The prospect of either of them at 12 or the 10/12 combo fills me with dread. Hopefully Simone gets a chance and steps up. Honestly I'm not a huge fan of bringing anyone from overseas in when the players who have chosen to stay here are playing well enough to be selected. I think Hooker is probably the one exception to this at the moment.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Kerevi is a mile ahead of the consistent selections we have at 12 at SRAU level. All solid players that hopefully will get better but not near Kerevi’s level and to be honest don’t think they ever will be.

The way I always look at these selections is who would the opposition rather see in the lineup and Kerevi is the last selection they want to see there.

This applies to Hooper too.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)

It depends on what the coach wants. Kerevi is a very good ball runner, but the likes of To'omua and JOC (James O'Connor) are better play makers. I would like JOC (James O'Connor) at 10, To'omua at 12 to set up the likes of Petaia on the outside backs rather than Kerevi who is more of a wrecking ball. We'll find out what the coach wants soon enough

Reactions: dru

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Kerevi in the 46 man squad to me is fine, coz he would be keeping out someone like...Godwin. Big whoop. Potential huge upside v piss all potential low side.