• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Interesting interview with Raelene Castle on Radio National.

https://radio.abc.net.au/programitem/pgeGQ8ROe7

She outlined that they (RA) feel they have done their holistic review (end of last year) and the the changes they have already made (appointing Scot Johnson, securing talent, information sharing with Super franchises etc) will breed future success and that the Scot Johnson lead review will just be a RWC campaign review/investigation.

I wonder if that give some credence to the Rennie almost being a given as the real review has already been done?

She also like many wanted to highlight the success of the U18 & U20's campaigns.

I'd be curious how much of any changes implemented under her tenure would have bearing on the U18/20's or are these the tail of some policies/actions Pulver implemented? I know there were some changes to player release for the U20 team and being eligible post school for U18's so I can see 'some' changes, but I'm obiously not close enough to know if these teams are the result of specific actions or just a period of rare talent that has very little to do with what RA have been doing?

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Wonder if Gill and McMahon are interested in coming home now

Who knows. I haven't seen much of them at their new clubs so I have no idea if we'd even want them back? I mean how is Liam going at Lyon? and what's McMahon even doing - wasn't he having surgery/recovering recently? Based on past form and potential it'd be interesting to see them both come back and run around in Super rugby, but I'm not sure either would be a shoe in for the Wallabies, but maybe people who have been following them more closely could say?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Add McMahon into the mix of players which could be brought home, and quickly its becomes contested again at 6/7

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Add McMahon into the mix of players which could be brought home, and quickly its becomes contested again at 6/7

I thought a large part of his decision to go to Japan was to manage his chronic injuries more easily in a lower impact competition for good $$? Am I imagining this? Not saying it was all down to that, though.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I thought a large part of his decision to go to Japan was to manage his chronic injuries more easily in a lower impact competition for good $$? Am I imagining this? Not saying it was all down to that, though.
That was widely reported but also rumoured was the fact that he didn't see eye to eye with Cheika.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Well maybe, although he signed to play this season with the Sunwolves in super rugby before he injured his foot. Which tells me there is still an intent to play at the higher level and the injury concern isn’t the deciding factor.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
That was widely reported but also rumoured was the fact that he didn't see eye to eye with Cheika.

"Widely reported"? I've certainly seen it written on here, but not seen it reported in the mainstream media that I can recall. He seems not to be Robinson Crusoe in that regard!

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
McMahon or no McMahon, our depth in the pack is looking very good.

10 is the only real problem spot but Matt To'omua can probably hold the fort while we blood some of the rookies coming through. I like some of the 10s coming out of QLD and Harrison is pretty good as well.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
McMahon or no McMahon, our depth in the pack is looking very good.

10 is the only real problem spot but Matt To'omua can probably hold the fort while we blood some of the rookies coming through. I like some of the 10s coming out of QLD and Harrison is pretty good as well.

I feel we are thin at 12 too. Unless JOC (James O'Connor) plays there and performs well. Who else is there but rookies?

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
I feel we are thin at 12 too. Unless JOC (James O'Connor) plays there and performs well. Who else is there but rookies?

Hodge? :confused:

If Simone replicates his form from the second half of this year, then he'd have to be a strong candidate. If he replicates his form from the first half of this year, it might be better to just break him down for parts.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
"Widely reported"? I've certainly seen it written on here, but not seen it reported in the mainstream media that I can recall. He seems not to be Robinson Crusoe in that regard!

According to one of the posters here, who knows a guy, who went to school with somebody whose cousin played in the same high school team with a future teammate of McMahon.........

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well, i remember articles floating around about him moving on for money/injury reasons. I don't remember anything about him not liking Cheika except round here.

Maybe i made it all up.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well, i remember articles floating around about him moving on for money/injury reasons. I don't remember anything about him not liking Cheika except round here.

The former regarding injury management/money (he didn't feel his body could handle much more top level rugby) was definitely reported, the latter part about him not liking Cheika is forum gossip.........

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I doubt Kuridrani will be around past his current contract anyways which finishes up next year...........

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
We are looking better than we have for a while, but there is still a few gaps and some players who are still being elevated in this forum on potential rather than performance. Not saying they won’t measure up - I’m actually pretty confident in a number of the guys coming through but guys like Tupou, Fainga’a, Uelese & Dempsey still have work to do IMO, and there is a bit of an opportunity at lock (although I think there is enough quality in the contenders to be confident 1-2 will measure up). In the backs I’d say 9, 10, 12, 14 & 15 are all pretty much in question.