• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Absolutely it’s true..

Tight head prop and loose head prop are two vastly different positions which require different techniques at scrum time, it takes hundreds of scrums to become proficient at what they do in each position. It’s not simply a case of binding with another arm, you’re now facing different angles, the pressure exerted comes through a whole different part of your body, what you’re required to do in the scrum is now significantly different.

I guess one comparison to this would be Olympic powerlifting, a lifter trains one movement over and over, and you now ask them to change their technique to something different. It takes time to transition, it takes repetition after repetition, and then any slight lapse in concentration sees them relapse to what they know subconsciously, and that was the old technique they’ve trained on. Sure that weightlifter can still lift heavy, but until he has ingrained the new technique in his subconscious, so that he can do it under stress and fatigue, then he won’t be at his best.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m not sure if we’re disagreeing or not. I agree with all of the above about them being different positions. I agree you don’t move Ala'alatoa.

I don’t agree that the reserve THP is a priority selection over the starting LHP.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It’s not career defining though. Justin Hodges had an infamous shocker in his SOO debut. He turned out okay.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
He’s played State of Origin since then and is one of the games highest paid players. But he has played for a rubbish team that has been consistently badly coached. Plenty of people still rate him. Personally I never thought he was more than solid.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
I have this weird suspicion Rennie might drop a bombshell and name Wright at fullback.

Anyone else think it's plausible?

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Simmons starting at lock is hardly a bombshell -- he's been playing bloody good footy this year and he's our best lineout caller; plus he is a fairly conservative selection with 100 odd tests. For Bled 1 he's a long way from a 'bombshell' perhaps an unexpected pick.

Wright at fullback isn't going to Happen. I think we could have seen Daugunu eventually moving to fullback at Super Rugby but with the emergence of Campbell for the Reds this is unlikely.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Nope.The only surprise will be simmons in the second row.

I am not so sure about Simmons getting picked on the basis of his lineout ability above all others.

Matt Philip has been calling the lineouts in Melbourne and they did have the most successful execution rate in SRAu. The other reason it might be Philip (apart from being a better player) is the forwards coach is Geoff Parling and it would make some sense to go with Philip if Rennie allows Parling to implement the systems he ran at Melbourne from a continuity perspective.

Paul Cully picked his team in the Herald this week which had a Philip/LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) lock pairing and he wrote two telling paragraphs as to why Philip made sense:
"It’s a different level of course, but in Philip’s last trip to New Zealand he was all over the Highlanders’ lineout in Dunedin, and afterwards Rebels coach Dave Wessels said Philip had contributed significantly to the tactical approach at the set-piece.
Philip also has that pre-existing relationship with Wallabies forwards coach Geoff Parling, who has worked hard in getting Australian players to drop the inferiority complex when it comes to New Zealand."

I think that is pretty good logic. It also potentially allows you to play backrowers that play a bit wider (such as Hooper and Samu) IF LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Philip are picked as both are more effective than Simmons with clear outs and carries.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Shit, Rennie's not even going to make it through his first test before BR starts calling for him to be sacked.

KOB, I've made a little promise to myself. I will not respond to any irrational (as they all are) posts about RS (appropriate isn't it?). I did break it about a week ago but with a hell of a lot of resolve I think I can mange it. In any case, I am 100% behind Rennie atm, though I do think he missed a chance to strengthen the squad by not including Naisarani, Dempsey and Neville.

However, as your post is essentially about Rennie, I feel free to make my comment. Rennie has a lot of goodwill on his side coming in after the train wreck of the past 5 years. I reckon he's allowed to make a couple of blunders in his selections in his first year or two. I'll hold off on any criticism until I see if he has the best interests of the Wallabies at heart with a good number of tests under his belt. I might add, I expect him to significantly improve the Wallabies performances so I am not anticipating calling for his head at any time soon, if ever.

It seems that Rennie was intent on calling Rory Arnold back into the team and that would account for him being a lock or two short now after Rory's injury. He could do worse than the call Neville into the bubble now to have him ready to play once TRC gets underway.

Reactions: dru

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Absolutely it’s true..

Tight head prop and loose head prop are two vastly different positions which require different techniques at scrum time, it takes hundreds of scrums to become proficient at what they do in each position. It’s not simply a case of binding with another arm, you’re now facing different angles, the pressure exerted comes through a whole different part of your body, what you’re required to do in the scrum is now significantly different.

I guess one comparison to this would be Olympic powerlifting, a lifter trains one movement over and over, and you now ask them to change their technique to something different. It takes time to transition, it takes repetition after repetition, and then any slight lapse in concentration sees them relapse to what they know subconsciously, and that was the old technique they’ve trained on. Sure that weightlifter can still lift heavy, but until he has ingrained the new technique in his subconscious, so that he can do it under stress and fatigue, then he won’t be at his best.
Thanks Adam84.
Great explanation and comparison.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Could you start Simmons & Phillip, with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) on the bench and in doing so also acting as additional 6 cover in the event of an early injury, thus allowing a 5/3 (I've previously advocated a 6/2 with our inexperienced backrow options)?

4: Philip
5: Simmons
6: Samu
7: Hooper
8: Wilson
19: LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
20: McReight

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Simmons is widely regarded as the best set piece forward in Australian rugby. considering our backrow will probably be trending toward the dynamic play > set piece, I'd happily have him start with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Phillip on the bench.