• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So much to be excited about, some real talent coming through. Maybe not this year but I think this could be a Wallabies side soon:

1. Bell
2. Uelese
3. Tupou
4. Hockings
5. Rodda
6. Swinton
7. McReight
8. Wilson
9. McDermott
10. Harrison
11. Nawaqanitawase
12. Lolesio
13. Petaia
14. Maddocks
15. Lucas

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
So much to be excited about, some real talent coming through. Maybe not this year but I think this could be a Wallabies side soon:

1. Bell
2. Uelese
3. Tupou
4. Hockings
5. Rodda
6. Swinton
7. McReight
8. Wilson
9. McDermott
10. Harrison
11. Nawaqanitawase
12. Lolesio
13. Petaia
14. Maddocks
15. Lucas

I know you said not this year but soon...but how soon 2021? 2022? next wc?

Can't see Bell over taking Sio in the next couple years, maybe 3 but we havn't seen a thing and then he would have to overtake HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) also.

Loving Swinton! Him and Wilson will be great, Dempsey and Hanigan are nothing special and not really obstacles, however we will always need some muscle go forward so thinking it would be like....Swinton6/Naisarani8 or Wilson6/Naisarani8 or LSL6/Wilson8. (Hope to see Skelton return)

Mcdermott and Harrison for sure will be around, but off the bench at BEST in 2021 with White and To'omua still around.

There are so many still young guys (especially backs) who have signed long term deals and will be around for a few years yet. Maddocks/Hodge/Banks/Koroibete/Daugunu/Vunivalu. Nawaqa has the best shot but that's a hefty and impressive crew around him - again probs not till 2022/23 to really see him shine. That being said, once Beale (2020) and DHP (2021) move on Nawaqanitawase could be the FB solution if Banks and Maddocks don't shine. FYI - I like Daugunu, but not like enough for a 4 year RA top up deal.

2022 - Year pre WC

Hookers - Uelese, Fainga'a + MYSTERY
Props - Sio, Ala'alatoa, Thor, Bell, Nangoorrrrrrrrrr!
Locks - Rodda, Hockings, SKELTON, Blyth
BR - Swinton, Wilson, Naisarani, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Hoops, Wright
HB - White, Powell, Mcdermott
fh - Harrison, Lucas, + Mystery!
C - Lolosio, Hodge, mystery (moeroa?), Petaia
OB - Vunivalu, Koroibete, Maddocks, Banks, Nawaqanitawase

BUT who knows! in 3 years time we could be talking about the next 20 year old Petaia or Wilson or Nawaqa, but they are still stitting in a class room in year 10 or 11 right now ready to take the world by storm and demand selection by 2023

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I know you said not this year but soon.but how soon 2021? 2022? next wc?

Can't see Bell over taking Sio in the next couple years, maybe 3 but we havn't seen a thing and then he would have to overtake HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) also.

Loving Swinton! Him and Wilson will be great, Dempsey and Hanigan are nothing special and not really obstacles, however we will always need some muscle go forward so thinking it would be like..Swinton6/Naisarani8 or Wilson6/Naisarani8 or LSL6/Wilson8. (Hope to see Skelton return)

Mcdermott and Harrison for sure will be around, but off the bench at BEST in 2021 with White and To'omua still around.

There are so many still young guys (especially backs) who have signed long term deals and will be around for a few years yet. Maddocks/Hodge/Banks/Koroibete/Daugunu/Vunivalu. Nawaqa has the best shot but that's a hefty and impressive crew around him - again probs not till 2022/23 to really see him shine. That being said, once Beale (2020) and DHP (2021) move on Nawaqanitawase could be the FB solution if Banks and Maddocks don't shine. FYI - I like Daugunu, but not like enough for a 4 year RA top up deal.

2022 - Year pre WC

BUT who knows! in 3 years time we could be talking about the next 20 year old Petaia or Wilson or Nawaqa, but they are still stitting in a class room in year 10 or 11 right now ready to take the world by storm and demand selection by 2023

A lot of crystal ball gazing. But one thing is certain, Bell will need to learn how to scrummage befor ehe can make it into any rep side. As Nutta (I think) says, meat and potato before gravy. Bell has no meat or potato at all yet in scrums. He is a dish full of gravy atm.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
I know you said not this year but soon.but how soon 2021? 2022? next wc?

Loving Swinton! Him and Wilson will be great, Dempsey and Hanigan are nothing special and not really obstacles, however we will always need some muscle go forward so thinking it would be like..Swinton6/Naisarani8 or Wilson6/Naisarani8 or LSL6/Wilson8. (Hope to see Skelton return)

2022 - Year pre WC

I'd imagine T Wright somewhere in the mix from 15-12. His pace and footwork provides the x-factor.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
We like the look of Harry Wilson don’t we?
He’s a beast and will only get bigger and better.

Wilson did some good things and some pretty dumb things on Friday night. That's completely expected for a young bloke and I'm not having a go at him. With the hype some people have placed on him, one was expecting the second coming of Christ. I'd say, those who are excited for Wilson's rise need to hold off otherwise you'll run the same issue Hanigan faced/is now facing to shake the stimga surrounding him.

I have no doubt that Wilson will be better over the course of the year with playing more and more games. BUT, I would be concerned if he was in the match day 23 for 2020. Give the kid some time to adapt to playing Super Rugby and stop placing such high expectations on him.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yes. No need to rush him.
i liked his uncompromising play and his ability to link. Bookmark him for the future. There were also some good young blindsides on display this round.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Valentini yes, but if Samu was not included prior to the introduction of the new breed of backrowers he will struggle to make a Wallaby squad from here on in.

He was a regular for the Wallabies in 2018, and the only reason he wasn't included last year was he got on the wrong side of Cheika despite being one of the best performing Aussie backrowers.............

If he continues with his current form I doubt he'll be left out.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Valentini yes, but if Samu was not included prior to the introduction of the new breed of backrowers he will struggle to make a Wallaby squad from here on in.

Samu missed the Wallabies due to pettiness by the coach. I think there will be some significant personnel changes in the Wallabies this year and next.

My early predictions of long term players missing out are, Simmons, Hanigan, To'omua, Hodge, Kuridrani, Speight, Beale, and maybe Dempsey and Hooper given the standard of young players coming through.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hanigan last played a Test in 2018. Speight hasn't played since 2017. Yeah long term players.

Love to know who your 3 locks ahead of Simmons are right now.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Personally, I'd have all of Rodda, Hockings, Swain, Philip (despite his lacklustre showing against the Sumwolves) ahead of Rob S. But I'm also pretty sure that Rennie has an eye on bringing back the likes of Skelton, Arnold and Coleman which most certainly would leave Simmo well and truly on the outer.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would also suggest that LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) will be playing at lock this year, which IMO is his best position, and with the amount of quality backrowers coming through he could be partnering up with Rodda for the Wallabies second row.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hanigan last played a Test in 2018. Speight hasn't played since 2017. Yeah long term players.

Love to know who your 3 locks ahead of Simmons are right now.

I previously would have thought that Simmons was a fair way down the list but he put in a very decent shift yesterday.
There will be many changes, especially if Rennie is true to picking on Super rugby form.