• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I would be going 3 years and then review. If things are going well, 1 or 2 year extension. If they aren't, there is still enough time to put a new coach in.

Well, not according to the Cheika apologists at the time. When the tide was changing about 18 months ago to get rid of Cheika, some posters were then adamant that it was too late, a song they then kept singing right through to the Cup.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I’m not against it, i don’t think it’s the best idea but not the worst

2 years isn’t a huge amount of time, this gives him more time to focus on getting the squad and processes right rather than having to worry about having a good winning percentage in the first 1-2 years

Plus japan for the last 8 years have focussed solely on the World Cup, to the point where they pulled guys out of the sunwolves squad to focus on training and it seems to have paid off handsomely

Dude, 2 years is like 26 tests. If we haven't seen measured, objective improvement in the next 26 tests, I'd fully expect the next coach to be run the hell out of town, and I don't give a shit if it's Vince Lombardi.

Now, if we were cruising along at 70%, things might be different, as the improvements at that level are much harder to obtain. But theres so much low langing fruit available here that achieving some meaningful goals should be prettt bloody trivial in the first 2 years.

I understand that Rennie won't be available until August. That being the case I would offer him a deal until the end of 2022, which is closer to 3 years than 2. If he hits 65%, he gets another year if he wants it. Or something like that.

Of course the issue might be that there's competiton for him and that he therefore won't take a gig under 4y.

The wallaby coaching gig is a full-time 7 figure (or close to it) job that only has 13 or 14 match days a year. There's no good reason that any coach we should seriously consider can't both implement his processes and all that stuff AND show a genuine measurable short term improvement.

B

Bobby Sands

We lost last night and that sucks, but thank god the nightmare is over. Now we can atleast reset and try to get our identity back again. Cheik, whether his fault or not, was taking us towards oblivion.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Whats peoples thoughts on McCaffery coming into the side, his someone that offers something so different at 6 or 8, personally think his ridiculously skillful.

High work-rate but lack of physicality... unfortunately I fear he a superb super xv player but not suited for test level.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
JOC (James O'Connor) could potentially fill that role too. I'm not advocating him as a long term 10, but if it's out of Bryce or JOC (James O'Connor) I'll pick JOC (James O'Connor). He has good vision, a good boot and runs straight.

JOC (James O'Connor) doesn't run straight? This RWC I actually think he often took space away from his outside players but running sideways or stepping ineffectively....

B

Bobby Sands

"All of the problems identified over the past five years, the lack of opportunity to bring on playmakers, the lack of a kicking game, the fatal flaw in halfback Will Genia’s game that saw him take two steps across field before passing, the failure to address the obvious failure of playing Michael Hooper and David Pocock in the same starting side, the gaping holes in Kurtley Beale’s performances, the opportunities around Samu Kerevi that were left unexplored, all of these things were coaching failures."

"This panel of coaches has failed a generation of players and when they finish their Test careers, as Pocock and Genia and Sekope Kepu did with the England defeat, they would be entitled to look at their mentors and ask: How good could we have been if you had done your jobs properly?"

Fantastic article in the Australian from Wayne Smith.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...t/news-story/1c4f9e7932e2288ced145b8eae096fcc

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
I feel we are in a very similar position to England four years ago. Poor administration and coaching but having the personnel that mean a quick turn around is possible with the right people in charge. You look at the England team now and there isn't a huge amount of change from 2015 (back line is close to the same), just natural changes from people retiring and younger players coming up the ranks. I really hope we are able to have a similar turn around now.

Its interesting to note that Castle has said they will review the Giteau law over the summer as well. To me this is a clear sign that they realise they are unable to fight off the foreign money poaching our top players so are willing to adapt to that which although isn't great for Super Rugby means that the future coach will be able to select the best XV Australians.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think one thing Eddie learned after the Wallabies 2003 almost-success, is not to overstay his welcome. He could have stayed in Japan post 2015 to build on that success and ride a wave of popularity, but he decided to move on.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Eddie is on something like 735,000 Euros a year. Hansen is on 400,000 Euros so Cheika would have been somewhat closer to Hansen’s salary. So Eddies salary comes out to a cool $1.2 million a year (not including bonuses).

I don’t think RA can afford to pay what Eddie will want.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Eddie is on something like 735,000 Euros a year. Hansen is on 400,000 Euros so Cheika would have been somewhat closer to Hansen’s salary. So Eddies salary comes out to a cool $1.2 million a year (not including bonuses).

I don’t think RA can afford to pay what Eddie will want.

It is not just what he earns, he has said that he has a virtually unlimited expenses budget, and I would guess a lot of freedom.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
It is not just what he earns, he has said that he has a virtually unlimited expenses budget, and I would guess a lot of freedom.

Considering that Eddie has said he is considering another tier 2 nation, nominating Germany as a possible option, I would suggest that money isn't actually much of a motivator for him. He's been linked to Fiji as well.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Considering that Eddie has said he is considering another tier 2 nation, nominating Germany as a possible option, I would suggest that money isn't actually much of a motivator for him. He's been linked to Fiji as well.

We might be tier two :)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I don't know how reasonably you can say that money isn't a motivator for a guy who has just grossed 5m+ pounds over the last four years. He's in a position where money doesn't need to the motivating factor for his next role.

Rugby in Germany is partially bankrolled by a billionaire so you also have to consider that a move by Jones there isn't for significant financial gain.