• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Okay, that is interesting. I still think we ought not continue to cast aside the likes of Powell, McDermott and Gordon unless we want them to walk. We need to start rewarding players who stay and put in that work for Australian Rugby rather than being seduced by the allure of players who have essentially abandoned Australian Rugby.

As much as I love Nic White, and he was very good for us, what we've done with him and the situation we allowed with him is discussing and unacceptable.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Okay, that is interesting. I still think we ought not continue to cast aside the likes of Powell, McDermott and Gordon unless we want them to walk. We need to start rewarding players who stay and put in that work for Australian Rugby rather than being seduced by the allure of players who have essentially abandoned Australian Rugby.

As much as I love Nic White, and he was very good for us, what we've done with him and the situation we allowed with him is discussing and unacceptable.
How so? If a rival company offered to up my salary in a big way but i had to move countries I'd seriously consider it, and the only thing that might keep me around is family. My current employers can match it or shove it.

It's going to happen more and more because RA and the clubs are becoming increasingly poorer. Why shouldn't our players get market salaries? and what, when they do they become traitors? ridiculous.

We'll fumble along with half cocked attempts at protecting what's left of Super rugby but its inevitable that we will eventually open up selection entirely.

If young players want opportunities with the Wallabies it shouldn't some affirmative action, give the young blokes a go bullshit. They should just demonstrate that they are better than Nic White.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
On Louwrens, is eligibility once earned something that can be removed? Or is it then constant? If the latter, I'm sure Ryan has resided in the country for a period in excess of 3 years. Why should an immigrant person be denied the opportunity to represent his adopted country?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah I'm with you BR. He's been here for at least 3 years surely. I can't see how he's ineligible even if he left after.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Has Lowrens spent ten cumulative years in Australia?

"REGULATION 8. ELIGIBILITY TO PLAY FOR NATIONAL REPRESENTATIVE TEAMS

8.1 Subject to Regulation 8.2, a Player may only play for the senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team, the next senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team and the senior National Representative Sevens Team of the Union of the country with which the Player has a genuine, close, credible and established national link in which:

(a) he was born; or

(b) one parent or grandparent was born; or

(c) he has completed sixty¹ consecutive months of Residence immediately preceding the time of playing; or

(d) he has completed ten years of cumulative Residence preceding the time of playing."

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I wasn't meaning that we let White go, but the situation we've created by letting him back into the Wallabies, come back for the World Cup while he was a year (or two) away from actually coming back. Is he now eligible for the June Tests, or even the Rugby Champs, while still playing in Europe. That situation is awful, we've basically broken our own rules for someone who granted played very well but ultimately wasn't entirely irreplaceable with one of our three young halfbacks being capable of stepping up. Heck I don't like that we let O'Connor and To'omua go to the World Cup without having played at least one game for there Super Teams.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Has Lowrens spent ten cumulative years in Australia?

"REGULATION 8. ELIGIBILITY TO PLAY FOR NATIONAL REPRESENTATIVE TEAMS

8.1 Subject to Regulation 8.2, a Player may only play for the senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team, the next senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team and the senior National Representative Sevens Team of the Union of the country with which the Player has a genuine, close, credible and established national link in which:

(a) he was born; or

(b) one parent or grandparent was born; or

(c) he has completed sixty¹ consecutive months of Residence immediately preceding the time of playing; or

(d) he has completed ten years of cumulative Residence preceding the time of playing."

Ah thanks for clearing that up. He has easily been in Aus for 10 years. He moved in 2007. I think he only went back to SA for 1 year.

Anyway.. White, Tate, Gordon and Powell are all ahead of him so this is a moot point.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Ah thanks for clearing that up. He has easily been in Aus for 10 years. He moved in 2007. I think he only went back to SA for 1 year.

Anyway.. White, Tate, Gordon and Powell are all ahead of him so this is a moot point.

Is gordon?

At this stage I see the 3 scrumhalves as White, Powell & Tate. If they don't pick White then I'd go with Louwrens (if possible)

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It’s early days in Super rugby and JOC (James O'Connor) might develop in the 10 role throughout the year. When Dingo threw him in against the BILs it was never going to end well. He looks good and has better vision than the others. He needs to solidify his kicking and option taking. The young guys look ok too but are a long way from being decent test fly half’s.
If I was picking the side right now I’d go JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 with the Brumbies 12 outside him.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
It’s early days in Super rugby and JOC (James O'Connor) might develop in the 10 role throughout the year. When Dingo threw him in against the BILs it was never going to end well. He looks good and has better vision than the others. He needs to solidify his kicking and option taking. The young guys look ok too but are a long way from being decent test fly half’s.
If I was picking the side right now I’d go JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 with the Brumbies 12 outside him.

I've seen a lot of chat about that series and JOC (James O'Connor).

Can you summarize what happened? It doesn't seem clear from the highlights of the series

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
He was a teenage hotshot who played on the wing and had a reasonable amount of success there. I think he had played one other test at 10? He just did not have it in the top two inches. Not sure what Dingo was thinking by pitting him there against the enormous experience the lions had throughout.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I hope to see the following:

9. McDermott 10. Lolesio 12. Simone

When i say hope, i mean i hope they all kick on and play well enough to warrant selection.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
I hope to see the following:

9. McDermott 10. Lolesio 12. Simone

When i say hope, i mean i hope they all kick on and play well enough to warrant selection.

After last week it seems pretty clear that Lolesio and Simone are a package deal. Simone obviously does so much of the organisation still for the Brumbies. I'd love to see them both play the house down and warrant selection on merit. I do always worry about parachuting a 20 year old into a key role for the wallabies though, especially after only one season of Super.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
It will be interesting to see how it unfolds throughout the year but the current Reds 9/10 with the Brumbies 12/13 might look good?

At this stage I'd prefer this then 10/12 JOC (James O'Connor)/To'omua and vice versa. I'm not sure they have complimentary styles of play and have had little game time together. I think either of them at 10, with Simone at 12 works better, as you gain a genuine running threat with pace.

You'd imagine Kuridarni will get the nod at 13, but if you're going all out attack, you'd go with Paisami who looks right at home in super rugby (looks solid in defence too, but Kuridrani showed he is one of the best in that department).

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
It will be interesting to see how it unfolds throughout the year but the current Reds 9/10 with the Brumbies 12/13 might look good?

I don't know the Reds 12/13 have been looking pretty good too! Honestly, anyone from the Reds or Brumbies XV should be in the frame for a Wallabies spot.

I really rate Irae Simone although he has yet to really show his metal this season. And obviously TK is never a bad option at 13. But the Reds Centers are very young still and are very much developing so I'd not be calling anything yet.

@Seb, To'omua is one of my favorite players, but he's really not showing up yet, and I don't think he's got any business playing 10. The other thing to consider is who the 9 is, if you go with McDermott then O'Connor probably get's the edge.