• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And just to be pedantic.........

McKellar was Brumbies forwards coach from 2015-2019, and was the architect of their maul.

The Brumbies also announced at the start of last season that McKellar would oversee "lineout and forwards play", and Fisher would take over defence.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
And just to be pedantic...

McKellar was Brumbies forwards coach from 2015-2019, and was the architect of their maul.

The Brumbies also announced at the start of last season that McKellar would oversee "lineout and forwards play", and Fisher would take over defence.

So, does that mean McKellar is more suited than Laurie?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Wilson has to start, that kid is insane. I’ve seen him make more breaks against the All Blacks Lite (Christchurch) than Naisarani’s entire Wallabies career. Seems to have learnt when to do the whacky offloads.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Wilson has to start, that kid is insane. I’ve seen him make more breaks against the All Blacks Lite (Christchurch) than Naisarani’s entire Wallabies career. Seems to have learnt when to do the whacky offloads.
He’s not perfect, makes some errors but it’s all stuff that can be trained out of him. Remember Scott Gourley? Throw him in the cauldron, he’s talented plenty.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Blindside just needs plenty of energy, mongrel, can jump and break the line. Big is good but not essential if those boxes are ticked.

Edit: just out of curiosity I looked him up, he’s 6’5 and 110kg. How much bigger are you talking?

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yeah at this point you'd love to see Wilson and Naisarani at 6 and 8 with both 110kgs and 195cm. Which one goes where probably doesn't matter too much. Personally, I'd shift Naisarani to 6 because I reckon Wilson will lock down 8 for the next decade. Hooper at 7 and Samu on the bench.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Blindside just needs plenty of energy, mongrel, can jump and break the line. Big is good but not essential if those boxes are ticked.

Edit: just out of curiosity I looked him up, he’s 6’5 and 110kg. How much bigger are you talking?

Yeah, He's bigger than I thought he was.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
What game do people watch some times? Both DHP and Banks have been pretty good this year. They are two completely different players. One is super safe under the high ball, offers a genuine 2nd kicking option in the attacking line (note Banks doesn’t kick much at first or second receiver) and is better at beating the first man in counter attack. The other is a brilliant support player, is a better kicker in the back field and has the pace which causes opposition defenses to increase their spacing when in the 13 channel, he also offers little 1% like brilliant kick for touch.

I don’t see why the conversation on Banks moving to the wing for the Wallabies has never really existed. He’s much more suited to wing than DHP is, yet DHP gets selected there. All very strange.

Ultimately who gets selected might depend on the wing options or opposition. Back 3 like the back row is all about balance. If you’re playing an Ireland or South Africa with a heavy box kicking game, DHP would be your obvious choice. If you’re playing a team that plays heavy field territory like England or Wales then Banks would be the better option as he’s a better counter kicker in a kicking duel.

What game do people watch sometimes? Obviously you've never watched a game with Banks on the wing. Maybe refer to him coming off the bench for the wallabies and missing 4 tackles in 15minutes (or something horrible like that).

Banks has little experience on the wing and looks lost when he plays there, and would probably be more of a defensive liability then DHP (who has gotten a lot better on the wing admittedly).

Both are fullbacks. Lets pick wingers as wingers. If you want balance go with Maddocks, Kelloway who can offer a similar skillset.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah at this point you'd love to see Wilson and Naisarani at 6 and 8 with both 110kgs and 195cm. Which one goes where probably doesn't matter too much. Personally, I'd shift Naisarani to 6 because I reckon Wilson will lock down 8 for the next decade. Hooper at 7 and Samu on the bench.

Yesterday I would have said it's too soon for Wilson, he's just a tad too small and fresh. But after watching his effort today against the Crusaders, I'm all for seeing that backline.

It's more likely Wilson will feature off the bench, but he's surely somewhere in the squad.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Wilson is certainly big enough but his best ball running attribute is the lines he runs. He always hits a soft shoulder which opens up his offloading game or allows him to crash through. Also has a tremendous link game.