• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

dru

Tim Horan (67)
But the wallabies don't play a English or Irish style gameplan, who gives two hoots how they are going to fare against that style of opposition when that isn't us, we play far more closely to a NZ style

Sendit, read the second half mate.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I see you point and I agree with you.

I just can't understand it, clearly they have some metric that says he should play there. But it's detached from pure rugby performance.
I’m hoping he just establishes himself as a top class test lock over the next year or so and we can put the talk of him being a 6 to bed. On a side note, he gave a pretty entertaining interview before last weekend’s game which I thought was a sign he was becoming pretty comfortable at the professional level.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Sendit, read the second half mate.

yea ahhhhhhh you guys, you know the reds, lets defend like them but like better?? Good game plan

The point i was making is why rubbish and dismiss a game that showcased a brilliant amount of skill by using the example of two test teams who play literally nothing like us

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Walton is a proper talent. He wasn't in that U20s side last year for some reason but was instead playing in the NSW Country Eagles NRC senior team as a 19 year old. Give him a bit of time, he goes pretty well.

it wasn't "instead". The vast majority of that Jnr Wallaby team played the NRC. They were completely different times of the year.

Walton was in the under 20 squad last year.

He started the game against England at 13.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
yea ahhhhhhh you guys, you know the reds, lets defend like them but like better?? Good game plan

The point i was making is why rubbish and dismiss a game that showcased a brilliant amount of skill by using the example of two test teams who play literally nothing like us
We don't play anything like the Kiwi's either. They play brilliant opportunistic rugby. Since RWC15 we've just been playing plain dumb rugby. Literally the same game on repeat for years.

I hope Rennie will develop us a little more.

B

Bobby Sands

I’m hoping he just establishes himself as a top class test lock over the next year or so and we can put the talk of him being a 6 to bed. On a side note, he gave a pretty entertaining interview before last weekend’s game which I thought was a sign he was becoming pretty comfortable at the professional level.

He's a super quirky dude, and very popular with all the boys.

Seems very entrenched in QLD rugby now - we have adopted him as one of our own.

B

Bobby Sands

We don't play anything like the Kiwi's either. They play brilliant opportunistic rugby. Since RWC15 we've just been playing plain dumb rugby. Literally the same game on repeat for years.

We should have Cheika's passport revoked.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
it wasn't "instead". The vast majority of that Jnr Wallaby team played the NRC. They were completely different times of the year.

In the context I was referencing it was 'instead'. i.e he didn't get selected in one but did in the other. However BH seems to have revoked that.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
What did you guys think of Newsome at 13?

I thought he showed some signs - but truthfully I don't watch the Tahs unless I have to, so I am probably a poor judge.

Alot of these backline players the Tahs are picking; Newsome, Clark, Walton etc seem like solid citizen players, and not necessarily dynamic professionals who can dominate at Super/International level.

Is this because of talent ID, or maybe the organisation values these type of low error footballers? Or are these the standout junior players in NSW?

I think your assessment of Newsome as a solid citizen player is pretty fair - Clark, Kellaway to an extent too. It stuns me that in Sydney there are 100's of dynamic young ball-running 95-105kg+ aspiring rugby league players who can tackle yet we end up with players like Newsome etc. at the Tahs's - no disrespect to them personally but there are much better athletes running around. Im not putting Walton in that category yet but time will tell. Walton's background is a little different in that he went to a public (RL-playing) high school and still managed to force himself into the NSW Schoolboys teams so he really had to earn his place. There are some good judges down at Gordon (his Shute club) who think he is pretty special but lets see.

My gut hunch is that it is an organisational mentality.

I am pretty close to a past Wallaby who played a lot of tests. When he came out of school and colts he was approached by the Waratahs and the Brumbies to play for them. He went to a couple of his mates who were at the Tahs to ask them what he should do and they all told him to go to the Brumbies as it would be better for his learning and development. Whilst he is now retired his view is that the Tahs have lacked and accountability culture for some time. Hopefully Penney helps sorts that out. The other good hire in HQ is Paul Doorn the new CEO. Doesn't come from a private school/Sydney Uni background - he played country rugby so hopefully he is capable of cutting through some of the self-interest and nepotism that has existed inside the Tahs for some time.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

It is not the point you did make though. I have little interest in Kiwi domestic rugby, anymore than I have in European domestic rugby. As it turns out I did turn on some of the North v South game and agree with Uptheguts "Harlem globetrotter" comment. That style of game will not translate to international tests unless the opposition allows it. And the Walaby squad has the basis to build something that will not allow it.

Dismissing a game is different to the start point of this discussion which related to WBs getting spanked by 50+. Which they might, but that one game is not a valid basis for judgement, especially given it was, harlem Globetrotter-esqe, an incomplete demonstration of rugby. Entertaining but not the same as a test.

I followed my interests as it turns out and I swapped over to QPR game of the week before I reached half time. Then revisited the highlights. It was enough for me.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hunt has made it clear he wants to stay and he has limited other options. Of course he is going to be pushed towards the end to be signed.

B

Bobby Sands

I think your assessment of Newsome as a solid citizen player is pretty fair - Clark, Kellaway to an extent too. It stuns me that in Sydney there are 100's of dynamic young ball-running 95-105kg+ aspiring rugby league players who can tackle yet we end up with players like Newsome etc. at the Tahs's - no disrespect to them personally but there are much better athletes running around. Im not putting Walton in that category yet but time will tell. Walton's background is a little different in that he went to a public (RL-playing) high school and still managed to force himself into the NSW Schoolboys teams so he really had to earn his place. There are some good judges down at Gordon (his Shute club) who think he is pretty special but lets see.

I am pretty close to a past Wallaby who played a lot of tests. When he came out of school and colts he was approached by the Waratahs and the Brumbies to play for them. He went to a couple of his mates who were at the Tahs to ask them what he should do and they all told him to go to the Brumbies as it would be better for his learning and development. Whilst he is now retired his view is that the Tahs have lacked and accountability culture for some time. Hopefully Penney helps sorts that out. The other good hire in HQ is Paul Doorn the new CEO. Doesn't come from a private school/Sydney Uni background - he played country rugby so hopefully he is capable of cutting through some of the self-interest and nepotism that has existed inside the Tahs for some time.

Fantastic post, agree with all of it.

B

Bobby Sands

It is not the point you did make though. I have little interest in Kiwi domestic rugby, anymore than I have in European domestic rugby. As it turns out I did turn on some of the North v South game and agree with Uptheguts "Harlem globetrotter" comment. That style of game will not translate to international tests unless the opposition allows it. And the Walaby squad has the basis to build something that will not allow it.

Dismissing a game is different to the start point of this discussion which related to WBs getting spanked by 50+. Which they might, but that one game is not a valid basis for judgement, especially given it was, harlem Globetrotter-esqe, an incomplete demonstration of rugby. Entertaining but not the same as a test.

I followed my interests as it turns out and I swapped over to QPR game of the week before I reached half time. Then revisited the highlights. It was enough for me.

Tattsy will develop an elite defensive system and culture. He is obsessive about detail.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

Ken Oath. Cheik just stood still unfortunately and man did we play some dumb footy at times.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hunt has made it clear he wants to stay and he has limited other options. Of course he is going to be pushed towards the end to be signed.
Hunts only real options are in Aus and NZ, because he has a criminal conviction he would find it difficult to find a job overseas. There is obviously appeals and ways around this but not sure if an overseas team would be bothered.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think your assessment of Newsome as a solid citizen player is pretty fair - Clark, Kellaway to an extent too.

These guys were all Australian Schoolboys/under 20s stars.

They've stood out the whole way through. Unfortunately I don't think any of them have the raw talent to really shine.

I think Clark would have been much better but he gave the best years of his development to being a very good 7s player.