• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Current locks are not too bad. TOO BAD? Such a low bar we set ourselves.

Arnold and Skelton are the only combo that could go toe to toe with Dejager/Etzebeth, Whitelock/Rettalick, Itoje, Lawes, Henderson, etc.

Phillip, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Rodda are not too bad, but they are, on a good day, equivalent to the 'backups' and next level - Mostert, Snyman, Tuipolotu, Barrett, Petti, Lavanini, Gray etc

To beat the best we must use our best.

Australia, more then I would say any other tier 1 nation, misses out on the largest number of 'their best'

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Pretty much TSR, and in other news it sounds like Skelton got owned by the Arnolds in the Top 14 final…………

Skelton has undoubtedly been in career best form overseas, but his presence requires a shakeup in our backrow selection, and probably a severe weakening in those positions to accommodate him.

You say this like we are going to be running out first choice 23 every match.

It's a squad game and our squad would be immensely improved with Skelton's (or Arnold's) presence.

I dunno what you blokes have been smoking but our locks are middling at best.

Edit: Timani is in the squad FFS.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It’s not all EA Rugby ‘08…………..

Would happily welcome him into the squad, but as I said - walk up starting selection…………. maybe not.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Current locks are not too bad. TOO BAD? Such a low bar we set ourselves.

Arnold and Skelton are the only combo that could go toe to toe with Dejager/Etzebeth, Whitelock/Rettalick, Itoje, Lawes, Henderson, etc.

Phillip, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Rodda are not too bad, but they are, on a good day, equivalent to the 'backups' and next level - Mostert, Snyman, Tuipolotu, Barrett, Petti, Lavanini, Gray etc

To beat the best we must use our best.

Australia, more then I would say any other tier 1 nation, misses out on the largest number of 'their best'
I think you’ve probably focused to much on two specific words at the detriment to actually considering what I wrote.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think you’ve probably focused to much on two specific words at the detriment to actually considering what I wrote.

You weren't the only one that wrote those words.

Also I am coming across a common theme that we are happy with our lock stocks with which I disagree. Our lock pathway is promising, but our available top tier fall short.

I would have made it a direct reply had I meant to isolate your comment.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
By all accounts Skelton jumps just fine. Not sure the best teams in Europe have both been carrying a non-jumping lock.

Something about training and development etc

My understanding is that the French Top 14 teams tend to require the locks primary role to be taking it up and general play, relying on the back three for jumpers.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think it is pretty undeniable that if Arnold and Skelton were available that Rennie would select them in the squad and they would be given a run in a test series. Their form is too good not to want to see what they would contribute to the Wallabies.

Maybe the EOYT will be the time to do that?

In my view the prime time to draft in foreign based players is the RWC and Rennie would be crazy not to consider that. The length of time you have the squad together means you can erase all the issues of lack of cohesion and preparation that happens if you bring in a foreign based player for tests during a standard test window.

You would clearly want a taster of what a player might bring to your test team before you select them in a RWC squad.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think it is pretty undeniable that if Arnold and Skelton were available that Rennie would select them in the squad and they would be given a run in a test series. Their form is too good not to want to see what they would contribute to the Wallabies.

Maybe the EOYT will be the time to do that?

In my view the prime time to draft in foreign based players is the RWC and Rennie would be crazy not to consider that. The length of time you have the squad together means you can erase all the issues of lack of cohesion and preparation that happens if you bring in a foreign based player for tests during a standard test window.

You would clearly want a taster of what a player might bring to your test team before you select them in a RWC squad.

RC would be fantastic, but you're right. EOYT would be the best (and cheapest) way to use them, both 2021 and 2022.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
RC would be fantastic, but you're right. EOYT would be the best (and cheapest) way to use them, both 2021 and 2022.

I just don't think it's going to be possible where a two week quarantine period still exists in Australia.

That and in a normal year, players we've drafted in have to return to Europe in the week we don't have a match (happened with To'omua and TPN a few years ago).

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I just don't think it's going to be possible where a two week quarantine period still exists in Australia.

That and in a normal year, players we've drafted in have to return to Europe in the week we don't have a match (happened with To'omua and TPN a few years ago).
I don’t think we’re going to see any international rugby in Australia this year excluding NZ & France.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don’t think we’re going to see any international rugby in Australia this year excluding NZ & France.
I think the Argies would be game for a truncated RC again. Look what the achieved last time.

South Africa don't actually seem to want to play rugby anymore.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

You never know maybe the BIL tour gives a real shot in the arm to springbok rugby. Los Puma's will be here they love it!

If the boks dont come out again, RSA out bring in Japan & Fiji I say

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
You never know maybe the BIL tour gives a real shot in the arm to springbok rugby. Los Puma's will be here they love it!

If the boks dont come out again, RSA out bring in Japan & Fiji I say

I mean more that no country will be willing to do 2 week quarantine to play in front of crowds when they can go elsewhere with crowds and no quarantine.

Isn't the Rugby Championship meant to be soon-ish? August?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It’s a soft quarantine though, it’s 2 weeks where they can train together they’re just isolated from the public. Yeah not great, but it’s hardly the same as doing 2 weeks of actual quarantine by yourself with no outdoor access

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Interesting to see Rennie echo Cheika's previous comments that players aren't getting proper strength and conditioning from franchises.

How hard can it be? you'd think of all the aspects of rugby development fitness would be the easiest to manage.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
It’s a soft quarantine though, it’s 2 weeks where they can train together they’re just isolated from the public. Yeah not great, but it’s hardly the same as doing 2 weeks of actual quarantine by yourself with no outdoor access

Potentially reduced to 7 days if they are vaccinated.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Interesting to see Rennie echo Cheika's previous comments that players aren't getting proper strength and conditioning from franchises.

How hard can it be? you'd think of all the aspects of rugby development fitness would be the easiest to manage.
Given the well documented advances in s&c theory and practice, I cannot believe all 5 franchises are behind the 8 ball in this area.
It's almost like an excuse prepared in advance.