• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I actually thought Rodda would walk back in to provide a more experienced lock/caller. He obviously must not be impressing in training and/ or his French stint did not do much for his game. As we have not seen Rodda in action since his return to oz hard to gauge for us where he is at compared to other locks.

Swain did ok against France B but has struggled V NZ (no surprise). I can't see this turning around against other top level nations. Great to give him exposure and development but back to the end of the line (within the current squad of 4). In 2 years time after starting for 2 more seasons for Brumbies and another handful of tests he may get back to the front of the line.

I think Rodda needs a chance off the bench (perhaps he came back out of shape) for the next test, start Philip and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto).

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Against NZ LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) has been worse than Swain IMO.
Well tbh I think all our locks look crap against the ABS, perhaps at their best, guys like Philip, Rodda and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) can rub shoulders with Barrett , Tuipolotu, Petti and Lavanini, but it would take Arnold and Skelton to even come close to being competitive against whitelock and rettalick, or Dejager and Etzebeth

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Well tbh I think all our locks look crap against the ABS, perhaps at their best, guys like Philip, Rodda and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) can rub shoulders with Barrett , Tuipolotu, Petti and Lavanini, but it would take Arnold and Skelton to even come close to being competitive against whitelock and rettalick, or Dejager and Etzebeth
Who knows if Arnold and Skelton will make much of a difference?

Both have played Test rugby before and were OK and until they play an actual Test match, I wouldn't be looking to them for anything too special. They might be great. Or they may just be OK still.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Who knows if Arnold and Skelton will make much of a difference?

Both have played Test rugby before and were OK and until they play an actual Test match, I wouldn't be looking to them for anything too special. They might be great. Or they may just be OK still.

Well we know our current bunch are just 'ok' and make little difference. So nothing to lose by trying I spose! I doubt they'll be worse

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I don't think Skelton fit into our style. Premiership and Top 14 rugby are very different to the rugby the Wallabies seem to want to play. Think we'd have to change our style to fit him in.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't think Skelton fit into our style. Premiership and Top 14 rugby are very different to the rugby the Wallabies seem to want to play. Think we'd have to change our style to fit him in.

What is our style? I'd suggest it's still cheikaesque, fast and wide. Differences are a) Cheika for a while had the cattle to dominate the middle whereas Rennie doesn't, and b) Rennie is valuing the boot and field position more but also has admitted we aren't big enough to play a more confrontational game.

Whether its field position, defence, going fast and wide or taking it up the middle, it's much easier to achieve ALL of this when you have 1 or 2 monsters that can dominate the space around the breakdown like noone else. They halt momentum and free up players in defence, then in attack, the presence at the breakdown and the extra metre or 2 gained in the 1st couple of collisions frees up players to add options out wide and increases speed of ball availlability.

We have no shortage of mobile guys with large workrates, who would love to be freed up to make 20 tackles and 20 runs but are instead having to go 2 on 1 against bigger, uglier humans in tight. If we do go in 1 on 1, we do seem to be losing that fight more often then not, failing to gain momentum and failing to stop it.

I'd say a couple big bruisers to hold the fort is exactly what we are missing.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
UPR I think you have it. I'm not sure that hunting for bruisers is going to help Aus rugby in the long run. Try to find a way to play with the quality and nature of the talent in hand.
Agreed - But I think that Arnold and Skelton are/should be talent we have in hand, so let's use them.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Paisami back in Brisbane for the birth of their children, won’t be available for test

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I actually thought Rodda would walk back in to provide a more experienced lock/caller. He obviously must not be impressing in training and/ or his French stint did not do much for his game. As we have not seen Rodda in action since his return to oz hard to gauge for us where he is at compared to other locks.

Geez I hope Stan pick up some of the top14 this season so we can all see where the standard is actually at! dctarget follows it a bit & he was saying that Rodda got named the better of all 4 last season (Rodda, Skelton, Arnold & Philip) in some article yet we pick the 4th best one a bloke who is good at SRAU level but to me hasn't taken the step up & a kid that showed a bit against the NZ Super Rugby sides.

I don't know maybe I just keep harboring that idea that we can be the best in the world like we were when I was a kid. Rennie knows alot better than I ever would as moron rugby fan from the bush.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Paul Cully writes in the SMH today about how the Wallabies will be boosted by the fact that Whitelock, Aaron Smith and Mo'unga will be out for the next Test, and their chances of victory will be much improved because of this. If that is not the kiss of death right there! In comes Beauden Barrett .........until not that recently the best 10 in the World..... how is that a weakness? If JOC (James O'Connor) is back and we restrict our intercept passes ....we may be a chance. Well, at least live in hope.....

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Paul Cully writes in the SMH today about how the Wallabies will be boosted by the fact that Whitelock, Aaron Smith and Mo'unga will be out for the next Test, and their chances of victory will be much improved because of this. If that is not the kiss of death right there! In comes Beauden Barrett ...until not that recently the best 10 in the World... how is that a weakness? If JOC (James O'Connor) is back and we restrict our intercept passes ..we may be a chance. Well, at least live in hope...
I cannot remember one great Wallaby game with JOC (James O'Connor) at 10. I don't know how much better the Wallabies are with him at 10 as opposed to Lolesio.

I'd rather see QC (Quade Cooper) there than JOC (James O'Connor) but if fit Lolesio is first choice every game this year. Unless he has 4-5 really bad games in a row.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I cannot remember one great Wallaby game with JOC (James O'Connor) at 10. I don't know how much better the Wallabies are with him at 10 as opposed to Lolesio.

I'd rather see QC (Quade Cooper) there than JOC (James O'Connor) but if fit Lolesio is first choice every game this year. Unless he has 4-5 really bad games in a row.
If you can swap JOC (James O'Connor) and Lolesio around in your post, is it really a point?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
If you can swap JOC (James O'Connor) and Lolesio around in your post, is it really a point?
Don't swap them.

Play Lolesio at 10 and, if fit, JOC (James O'Connor) goes somewhere else in you backline. Maybe 12, maybe 15. I'm just saying that there is no benefit in playing him at 10.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

He was pretty good in Wellington last year.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
He was pretty good in Wellington last yea
If ‘pretty good’ means he didn’t make many mistakes then yeah, he was pretty good.
I think that’s the game Ardie made the game-saving turnover in the last minutes when the Wallabies were on the AB line…:)