• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
To be fair, not sure the criticism ever was that Kerevi couldn’t pass, it was that he didn’t. I really liked how they had him sitting in the 13 channel during phase play where he could break a weak tackle from a smaller man and distribute to those outside him. It delivered the first try and put Hooper away for what should have been the second.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
JOC (James O'Connor) still has decent pace. He was lightening as a youngster. His positional awareness at the back has also been very good in both Super and test rugby of late. He like Cooper can identify where the space is rather than trucking it back up into the teeth of the defence as Banks most often does.
Ultimately it would be good to see Jordan Petaia at 15 but JOC (James O'Connor) would go well there IMHO.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
JOC (James O'Connor) still has decent pace. He was lightening as a youngster. His positional awareness at the back has also been very good in both Super and test rugby of late. He like Cooper can identify where the space is rather than trucking it back up into the teeth of the defence as Banks most often does.
Ultimately it would be good to see Jordan Petaia at 15 but JOC (James O'Connor) would go well there IMHO.
Banks runs good lines in set-plays, he isn't good at identifying space or creating something from the back. I still think he would be a better wing than he is fullback.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It was more than Kerevi's passes, it was his decision making in general. His option taking was near flawless, holding onto the ball when the pass was not on or too risky, and throwing it when the men outside him were in space. A couple of nice offloads too.

It's the skill Paisami is yet to acquire.

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
SMH reporting the 6 overseas players RA want, with or without eligibility changes.

No real surprises - Latu, Arnold, Skelton, McMahon, Kerevi, Korobiete. All aged between 27-31 - their prime years. I'll leave the argument for where they fit in on matchday for now, but how good would the depth be if we had all 6 fit and firing in a Wallabies camp.

Bob Dwyer talks about having 5 players who would make a World XV needed to win a World Cup. I think between Hooper, Kerevi, Korobiete, Ala'alatoa, Tupou, Arnold, Skelton, McMahon we could be on track and that's not factoring in the development of the likes McDermott, Paisami, Bell, Petaia, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) over the next two years leading into RWC 2023.

Amazing the difference a week makes in international rugby, last week I was just about ready to give up now I'm really up and about regarding our long term prospects.

Last edited:

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
SMH reporting the 6 overseas players RA want, with or without eligibility changes.

No real surprises - Latu, Arnold, Skelton, McMahon, Kerevi, Korobiete. All aged between 27-31 - their prime years. I'll leave the argument for where they fit in on matchday for now, but how good would the depth be if we had all 6 fit and firing in a Wallabies camp.

Bob Dwyer talks about having 5 players who would make a World XV needed to win a World Cup. I think between Hooper, Kerevi, Korobiete, Ala'alatoa, Tupou, Arnold, Skelton, McMahon we could be on track and that's not factoring in the development of the likes McDermott, Paisami, Bell, Petaia, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) over the next two years leading into RWC 2023.

Amazing the difference a week makes in international rugby, last week I was just about ready to give up now I'm really up and about regarding our long term prospects.
I like the 6 players

I think the world XV is a bit of a stretch. Lucky to get 1 and I don't think that will change. 5 in a Rugby Champ team would be our best shout and thats more likely in a 23, not a XV.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Playing the Darkness a million times in a row will do that to your confidence.

Found** this from a Saffa article (https://www.keo.co.za/the-springboks-real-rugby-rivalry-is-green-versus-gold/):
The Boks, since rugby turned professional in 1996, have won 15 in 57 Tests against the All Blacks and since 2010 have won just three in 21 Tests. That is not a rivalry; that’s a foregone conclusion if you are a Kiwi.

Equally, with the Wallabies, who have lost the Bledisloe Cup series for 19 successive years and since 1903 have won 45 Tests from 173 against the All Blacks. Since 2010, the Wallabies have won four from 21 against the All Blacks

Since 2010 the Boks and Wobs have had a pretty similar win/loss record against the ABs. It can't all be doom and gloom then. Maybe we shouldn't be looking at how we go against the darkness for our benchmark.........

EDIT **When I say found, saw Morgan Turinui post about it.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Those stats do make the RC and Bledisloe seem a little pointless.

Fortunately for the RWC the ABs are still succeptible to the odd implosion.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Playing the best often is a good thing when we come up against other top tier teams. We are ready.

Indeed - hard to be sure, but what if we lose against the Boks in the universe where we only play NZ teams every so often, and our domestic competition doesn't prep us adequately?

A lot of our players come through a very narrow pathway as it is. Not suggesting they're complacent, but when the competition for spots isn't as hot, and the coaching depth isn't as good as it could be, there is a lower learning threshold.

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Or first choice 6? Haven’t watched him in a few years, and if he’s still got it then he’s a shoe in over Swinton.
I'm not convinced. Swinton has some kinks but he does the dirty work pretty well and operates well in the lineout. I reckon he can only improve. Even then, Valetini is also a 6 option with Wilson at 8.

Seems like a back-up IMO.