• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
interesting point about cost, Coper said in an interview he (and the others ?) were being paid by their current employers, the clubs ie Kintetsu, not RA.
Interesting if true -saids a lot about relationship with Japan and Japan clubs. As could you imagine European clubs doing anything as positive as this for players to play for their country

Last edited:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I wouldn’t be making too many changes for game one against the Argies.
Let’s not kill the momentum.
If we dominate game one then sure.
Let’s not count our chickens yet.
Agree. So we have to replace Banks due to injury. Such a pity hodge terrible under the high ball as other parts of his game as per previous weeks good, so he stays as utility. Like to see Jordy or JOC (James O'Connor) at FB. Kellaway could be tried there with Petatia on the wing. In any case with extra back spot let JOC (James O'Connor) be at least on the bench as would like to see what he could offer as sub for other positions.

As much as we criticise Swinton for his high shots/cards he offers the much needed aggression so just needs to continue to work on his tackle height and technique (get his arms wrapping more). Be good to see mcmahon and what he offers but really who do you leave out as Samu been superb off the bench and finally showing his promise at test level.

Ikatau been improving at rapid rate so hard to see Hunter getting a gig at the moment. Noah equally hard to see getting a gig given Cooper's steadying influence but maybe game against Japan or trial games for NH tour as still the player to probably develop behind Cooper/JOC (James O'Connor) as 10 option. Pleased to see people seeing Cooper perform well not using this to rubbish Noah as yes not ready but no doubt still got a lot of potential to improve his game and be an option in later years.

Reactions: dru

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think it will be fine. The Boks tried to go wide much more this week without joy. Their passing was horrible. Not used to it I guess?
Of course there will be changes as some of these players have gone quite a few tests without a break.
I’d like to JOC (James O'Connor) at fullback, Petaia getting a start, Lolesio on the bench in the backs. In the forwards Pone on the bench if fit, Wilson and McMahon getting a run and Hooper only playing 40 mins. Maybe a start for Kaitu’u but his set piece is a little suspect.
Argentina could be a banana skin for us so I don’t want to see too many changes. I would not be taking a win against Argentina as a gimmie and only have to look at last years RC to understand why.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Kellaway was 15 as a schoolboy wasn't he?
Yes. And I recall him playing there for the Tahs. I know he was mostly a center in the UK, not sure if they used him up the back. Of the untried ones in camp I’d say he’s the most easily adapted to the position and he looks a natural fit, and I think he should be tried there from a longer term perspective as Banks is definitely not the answer. I’d go 14 Petaia 15 Kellaway but won’t be surprised to see either Hodge or JOC (James O'Connor) picked there.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Agree. So we have to replace Banks due to injury. Such a pity hodge terrible under the high ball as other parts of his game as per previous weeks good, so he stays as utility. Like to see Jordy or JOC (James O'Connor) at FB. Kellaway could be tried there with Petatia on the wing. In any case with extra back spot let JOC (James O'Connor) be at least on the bench as would like to see what he could offer as sub for other positions.

Fo me we give Hodge more time at 15. Others have been given a chance, so it should be here. His defence was up a notch and the high balls missed were well placed boxed by Fluff in traffic where not being on the field seems to be the better option. Needs improvement, so give it a chance.

As much as we criticise Swinton for his high shots/cards he offers the much needed aggression so just needs to continue to work on his tackle height and technique (get his arms wrapping more). Be good to see mcmahon and what he offers but really who do you leave out as Samu been superb off the bench and finally showing his promise at test level.

I see much of Swinton's "no arm" issue being that a chance of head/high contact is coming so he is trying to shrug that part of his body away to protect the runner while still trying to make the tackle. The intent is good, I think. The discipline and technique is utter shite. OTOH the ankle cutters (not just Swinton) are going to attract the ref world soon. It's a problem. I'd have him truly inked in to the squad, but it is time to shake things up for a number of reasons. I'd drop Swinton and tell him to work harder on it. Samu starts, McMahon to bench. Wilson is beginning to miss his shot. If McMahon's fitness as claimed is actual, start him, and leave Samu on the bench.

Ikatau been improving at rapid rate so hard to see Hunter getting a gig at the moment. Noah equally hard to see getting a gig given Cooper's steadying influence but maybe game against Japan or trial games for NH tour as still the player to probably develop behind Cooper/JOC (James O'Connor) as 10 option. Pleased to see people seeing Cooper perform well not using this to rubbish Noah as yes not ready but no doubt still got a lot of potential to improve his game and be an option in later years.

I would probably never have started Ikitau over Paisami but man, how is he going! Lenny is locked in for me. Sorry Hunter!

Cooper has also locked in his place - remembering that the ultimate intent/role for Cooper is bringing Lolo through. Lolo back to the bench, and I'd have JOC (James O'Connor) as bench utility. Think about Lolo starting the second. game against Argentina. Bench 10 probably JOC (James O'Connor). And if those three start gelling together we are building some real alternatives in the 10 slot. Thank god for that. The only issue is with both Lolo and JOC (James O'Connor) do we need that second ball player? Hunter comes back into the frame at 12, but who would drop Kerevi?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
One thing they need to look at for next week is the 2nd row subs. Obviously they had as the game plan to replace Rodda and maybe that was a fitness thing they identified at training, but Philip was knackered and starting to play with ill discipline as a result, he was the one that needed to be subbed. I think they should look to a 6:2 bench for next week, Samu and Hooper are both adequate coverage in the backs as a plan C

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I'm not convinced. Swinton has some kinks but he does the dirty work pretty well and operates well in the lineout. I reckon he can only improve. Even then, Valetini is also a 6 option with Wilson at 8.

Seems like a back-up IMO.
Swinton has still got some work to do. If he’s brain receptors can transmit quicker to tell him to use his arms in a tackle then we’re almost there. He’s costing us penalties and when he’s in the team you know we’re going to be playing with 14 men for at least 10 minutes. I like his aggression and his positional play but there’s too much liability and disruption.
Valentini needs to stay at 8 and Hooper at 7, only leaving McMahon to come in at 6. His height is not ideal but Rennie will make it work. Samu, Swinton (after 2 week tackling workshop) Wilson and McRreight can fight out the bench.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Fo me we give Hodge more time at 15. Others have been given a chance, so it should be here. His defence was up a notch and the high balls missed were well placed boxed by Fluff in traffic where not being on the field seems to be the better option. Needs improvement, so give it a chance.

I see much of Swinton's "no arm" issue being that a chance of head/high contact is coming so he is trying to shrug that part of his body away to protect the runner while still trying to make the tackle. The intent is good, I think. The discipline and technique is utter shite. OTOH the ankle cutters (not just Swinton) are going to attract the ref world soon. It's a problem. I'd have him truly inked in to the squad, but it is time to shake things up for a number of reasons. I'd drop Swinton and tell him to work harder on it. Samu starts, McMahon to bench. Wilson is beginning to miss his shot. If McMahon's fitness as claimed is actual, start him, and leave Samu on the bench.

I would probably never have started Ikitau over Paisami but man, how is he going! Lenny is locked in for me. Sorry Hunter!

Cooper has also locked in his place - remembering that the ultimate intent/role for Cooper is bringing Lolo through. Lolo back to the bench, and I'd have JOC (James O'Connor) as bench utility. Think about Lolo starting the second. game against Argentina. Bench 10 probably JOC (James O'Connor). And if those three start gelling together we are building some real alternatives in the 10 slot. Thank god for that. The only issue is with both Lolo and JOC (James O'Connor) do we need that second ball player? Hunter comes back into the frame at 12, but who would drop Kerevi?
Other than McMahon in for Swinton, and Hodge start at fullback I wouldn’t change the team for the first Argies’ game. JOC (James O'Connor) to bench. Look at resting 2 players in the second game.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
As much as we criticise Swinton for his high shots/cards he offers the much needed aggression so just needs to continue to work on his tackle height and technique (get his arms wrapping more).
I seem to recall James Horwill being a bit of a hot head and card magnet when he began with the Reds, he got some responsibility with the captaincy and changed his method and was still a successful Wallaby.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Swinton has still got some work to do. If he’s brain receptors can transmit quicker to tell him to use his arms in a tackle then we’re almost there. He’s costing us penalties and when he’s in the team you know we’re going to be playing with 14 men for at least 10 minutes. I like his aggression and his positional play but there’s too much liability and disruption.
Valentini needs to stay at 8 and Hooper at 7, only leaving McMahon to come in at 6. His height is not ideal but Rennie will make it work. Samu, Swinton (after 2 week tackling workshop) Wilson and McRreight can fight out the bench.
Hard to believe finding it hard for Wilson to get in the 23. I am keen to see what McMahon can offer but Swinton and Samu been very good so no guarantees McMahon will replace them in the pecking order. Only way to find out is to give McMahon game time. Gees we have some nice depth in the backrow though even with isi’s departure

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Yeh agree hodge deserves first shot at 15 as terrible under high ball last night but other wise done a lot of good things in this match and past matches. Have JOC (James O'Connor) and Jordy on the bench (or one of them if go 6.:2) to sub on at full back in second half to see what they can also offer at full back. Hard to see a spot for Noah at the moment.

Reactions: dru

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Hard to believe finding it hard for Wilson to get in the 23. I am keen to see what McMahon can offer but Swinton and Samu been very good so no guarantees McMahon will replace them in the pecking order. Only way to find out is to give McMahon game time. Gees we have some nice depth in the backrow though even with isi’s departure
Bringing in these former Wallabies heightens the ceiling for these young blokes coming through. It tells them, that they’re good but they need to be better. Wilson is pure class and knowing him he’ll keep pushing to secure that 8 position. He’s 22, so it’s not like he’s being left behind, in fact a great age to push his boundaries.

Last edited:

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Torn on hodge at FB. His long boot got us out of trouble a few times and won us some of the kicking duals which I haven’t seen for a long time, I don’t think that part of his game is the issue.
But he wasn’t great under the high ball and positional play was a bit rusty,
Genuinely don’t know who I’d select there next week.
Would be tempted to leave him as the utility on the bench and blood whoever they feel is the likely the long term FB. I do like the idea of kellaway as we have petaia, vunivalu and daugunu in the long term coming back from injury to cover wing.
Leave everything else the same except maybe McMahon for Swinton although I think I he was unlucky - will be interesting to see what the review comes up with Monday.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Will any of Kerevi, QC (Quade Cooper) or McMahon be coming on the EOYT?
I read somewhere on here that Japan was funding them whilst playing here, so it’s a negotiation with the Japan clubs. You would expect that the clubs will want them back for pre-season and they’ll need to fit in a few week’s rest.
A very smart play by the Japan clubs. It encourages players to take up contracts there and then join the Wallabies for the tests. It could have impact on our Super Rugby comp in both directions; the positive is that the Wallabies winning brings back the fans and in turn the dollars to boost our sport and potentially the value of the Super Rugby contracts; but the downside will be the balance of keeping the quality talent in our Super Rugby comp in they’re chasing the dollars in Japan in the interim.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
On a side note isn’t it nice to be debating the key back positions without the age old interject - “why are we talking about backs when we’re losing the collisions/backs don’t win matches” yada yada yada.
The piggies, particularly with a few key returns to come, are looking pretty solid right now.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Torn on hodge at FB. His long boot got us out of trouble a few times and won us some of the kicking duals which I haven’t seen for a long time, I don’t think that part of his game is the issue.
But he wasn’t great under the high ball and positional play was a bit rusty,
Genuinely don’t know who I’d select there next week.
Would be tempted to leave him as the utility on the bench and blood whoever they feel is the likely the long term FB. I do like the idea of kellaway as we have petaia, vunivalu and daugunu in the long term coming back from injury to cover wing.
Leave everything else the same except maybe McMahon for Swinton although I think I he was unlucky - will be interesting to see what the review comes up with Monday.
Yeah, I think Hodge was probably a bit rusty because he’s usually good with the high ball. Give him another crack for his confidence. His big boot is important in the upcoming games. If we’re up by a bit, then I wouldn’t mind seeing Petaia or Kellaway have a go at fullback. I really don’t know what Petaia’s boot is like.