• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Rennie has already said Koroibete is returning to his family, so he'll be out. There maybe similar considerations for the others - at a guess I'd say the new fathers Paisami, Ala'alatoa and Salakaia-Loto are probably less likely to travel, beyond that it'll likely come down to individual circumstances.
So follow the French example and send our third string 15

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
it’s a big ask for our domestic lads to tour and then quarantine when they return considering we then need to turn around and expect them to lead our Super Rugby sides in a trans Tasman comp.

so I’m for heavily relying on overseas players. Might lose some cohesion but it lets them all know where looking at them.

a team like

15 Beale
14 Morahan
13 Kuridrani
12 Kerevi
11 Koroibete
10 Cooper
9 Phipps
8 Naisirani
7 Gill
6 McMahon
5 Skelton
4 Arnold
3 S Talakai
2 Latu
1 JP Smith ??

With a backup squad of

15 Maddocks
14 Lynagh
13 CFS
12 Paiaaua
11 Taqele N
10 Hegarty
9 Meehan
8 Cottrell
7 Fainga'a
6 Dempsey
5 Coleman
4 Simmons
3 Kepu ??
2 BPA
1 Hoskins
Stirring the pot RR

Reactions: dru

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder if there will be any tour bolters who might have joined the current squad if they didn't have the state border/quarantine issues? E.g. Will Harrison.

The two week quarantine on return is a tough ask. I agree that there might be some opt outs on that basis. Given NSW are trialling home quarantine that would be more enticing for some of those players.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I wonder if there will be any tour bolters who might have joined the current squad if they didn't have the state border/quarantine issues? E.g. Will Harrison.

The two week quarantine on return is a tough ask. I agree that there might be some opt outs on that basis. Given NSW are trialling home quarantine that would be more enticing for some of those players.
Hopefully they've sorted quarantining out by the time they are due back. Current system is a bit silly, really.

My fully vaxxed covid negative partner is going to have to spend 4k for the honour of sitting in a hotel room for two weeks while there a thousand cases a day in Sydney.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hopefully they've sorted quarantining out by the time they are due back. Current system is a bit silly, really.

My fully vaxxed covid negative partner is going to have to spend 4k for the honour of sitting in a hotel room for two weeks while there a thousand cases a day in Sydney.

Yep, it is ridiculous. You currently have more chance of catching COVID in hotel quarantine than vice versa.

I imagine Victoria will institute home quarantine soon but I can't imagine Queensland or WA will anytime soon (the only other ones relevant for rugby). I assume those returning to the ACT will need to hotel quarantine too.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yep, it is ridiculous. You currently have more chance of catching COVID in hotel quarantine than vice versa.

I imagine Victoria will institute home quarantine soon but I can't imagine Queensland or WA will anytime soon (the only other ones relevant for rugby). I assume those returning to the ACT will need to hotel quarantine too.

Mate if I can’t travel home to see my family for Christmas even with double vaccinations and negative tests, there’s no way the QLD Govt are going to allow a home quarantine for those arriving internationally.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Mate if I can’t travel home to see my family for Christmas even with double vaccinations and negative tests, there’s no way the QLD Govt are going to allow a home quarantine for those arriving internationally.

No, they absolutely won't.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
BH do I detect a disparaging note directed at Qld and WA? Seems to me that those two States are the sole reason we had a RC to enjoy this year. I think we should be acknowledging they have done a great service to rugby both here and in the other RC countries this year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH do I detect a disparaging note directed at Qld and WA? Seems to me that those two States are the sole reason we had a RC to enjoy this year. I think we should be acknowledging they have done a great service to rugby both here and in the other RC countries this year.

No, not at all. Just that given their stance on everything in relation to COVID they are not about to transition to the next stages of dealing with the pandemic (living with COVID).

They are clearly going to keep to COVID zero as long as possible and even then I'm not sure what their plan will be once they get to a high vaccination percentage.

It is pretty clear that people in NSW will be able to freely leave the country and return before they are able to travel to WA at the very least.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

The flipside of that is that the NSW players in the squad have been away from their families along time, where as the Queensland players have been able to return home regularly during the test season. Mostly I think it'll play out differently player to player - young, single players will be keen for the adventure and opportunity, whereas older players and those with families will be more hesitant to spend the time away.

Reactions: TSR

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Sure, the low vaccination rates in those states aren’t going to do anything for reuniting families though.
As much as i appreciate been able to watch rugby on tv, it’d be nice to actually see my family again this year and that wont happen with at the current rate of vaccination In Queensland.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Sure, the low vaccination rates in those states aren’t going to do anything for reuniting families though.
As much as i appreciate been able to watch rugby on tv, it’d be nice to actually see my family again this year and that wont happen with at the current rate of vaccination In Queensland.

Off topic, but I suspect that Drua may have made an error in planning to base in Q.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I’m watching Beale now in Racing 92’s latest game, he’s directly set up 2 tries with some lovely accurate passes, really good shit. Also, looks to have pace, he was sprinting neck & neck with Imhoff.

His passes are so on point, threading through defenders to find the right man at pace, definitely a skill Banks & Hodge don’t have. Yet to see him have to defend yet.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I’m watching Beale now in Racing 92’s latest game, he’s directly set up 2 tries with some lovely accurate passes, really good shit. Also, looks to have pace, he was sprinting neck & neck with Imhoff.

His passes are so on point, threading through defenders to find the right man at pace, definitely a skill Banks & Hodge don’t have. Yet to see him have to defend yet.
Can he catch a high all yet?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hodge was pretty solid all things considered, however 'vision' is definitely not one of his attributes. It was a little frustrating watching him put up high-ball after high-ball without even considering whether running the ball was an option (and it was definitely on at various times).

The guy undoubtedly has a great work ethic but as always everything he does just seems like hard work. I don't think there's much separating Banks/ Hodge but we can still do better.
On the contrary he has excellent vision seeing where he needs to kick the pill to find grass and where he might be able to expose a weakness in the line. We will have to agree to disagree. Wherever he plays in the back line he brings experience and a solid game that his team mates can rely on.