• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
36 is really hard.

My attempt:

Hooker - Latu, Fainga'a, BPA, Kaitu'u
LHP - Bell, Sio, Robertson
THP - Tupou, AAA, Pone
Lock - Arnold, Skelton, Philip, Swain, Rodda, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
BSF - Swinton, Leota
OSF - Hooper, Samu
N8 - Valetini, McMahon
SH - White, McDermott, Gordon
FH - JOC (James O'Connor), Quade, Loloesio
IC - Kerevi, Paisami
OC - Ikitau, Petaia
Wing - Koroibete, Wright, Daugunu, Vunivalu
FB - Banks, Hodge, Kellaway
Yeah looks about right.

Although with Banks broken arm, i don't see much value in him touring, he will be fighting it to be fit for any of the matches. If Vunivalu is fit, i expect they'll take him on the tour although im not sure he is.
Rennie seems to have written off BPA in preference of the hookers remaining, take Kaitu'u instead.
I'd take Rodda over Swain, let Swain get a full pre-season and bulk up a bit, still playing a bit too light.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
forgot about Rodda, you are right he should go. A lot of locks! I think Swain is playing really well but you are correct that he is probably the one that benefits the most from a home off-season.

Get what you are saying about BPA too.

I wouln't take Banks, but heard Rennie is planning to because he will only miss one game???? Not sure who our alternate fullback is. Is it Muirhead?

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
Paisami another one that could do with a pre-season and just had a baby

I wouldn't be surprised if the centres chosen are Kerevi, Ikitau, Foketi and Perese

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I feel like there has been a mentality shift on these forums in the past few weeks since it was announced Wilson would be staying home to have a proper off-season.

Lots of chat about players staying onshore for that reason. Whereas I feel the general vibe here has always been 'why isn't so and so being picked? He's young but good enough and ready to go!'

Paisami was the standout choice to play either 12/13 for the Wallabies at the end of Super Rugby, aside from the kid thing, why would he benefit from a home pre-season? Same with Swain, he's been playing really well and more time playing against quality opposition can only benefit him. He's got plenty of time for gym sessions when he gets back.

I just find it bizarre that so many are being suggested to stay at home. Everyone is being critical of Petaia recently, one of the reasons I feel he's inconsistent is because he hasn't played enough actual footy over the past few years. Keep these young guys playing footy if they're fit and good enough.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Two observations -
- normally 3 Hookers & 3 9s is the standard, but I assume they will have difficulties just calling someone into the squad who isn’t already in Europe. So I think they will still possibly take 3 of each and also look to be able to call in Latu & Phipps in need (so maybe Phipps not part of the 36 but still bought in in some fashion)
- the subject of leaving players at home is an interesting one. I do think most/all of these young guys would get plenty of benefit out of getting a proper off-season. However, the flip side of that is that the experience of playing in Europe would be invaluable as well with different conditions and against the different styles of Northern Hemisphere teams. In the end my take on that is it is a win/win - either option has significant upside for the young guys in the group. Even their omission from the squad has plenty of upside in my view as you’d assume that the disappointment will drive their off-season training.

Edit: PhilClinton I believe you posted while I was typing this. Question - has it been officially announced Wilson would stay at home?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Personally, if i was an elite rugby player in real life instead of just my dreams, I'd be gutted to be told "stay at home for your own benefit" and dropped from a Japan/European tour.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Personally, if i was an elite rugby player in real life instead of just my dreams, I'd be gutted to be told "stay at home for your own benefit" and dropped from a Japan/European tour.
One would hope that he wasn't "told" - a player at this level has choices. If this was the best option for both the player and the team, he should buy in.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Paisami was the standout choice to play either 12/13 for the Wallabies at the end of Super Rugby, aside from the kid thing, why would he benefit from a home pre-season? Same with Swain, he's been playing really well and more time playing against quality opposition can only benefit him. He's got plenty of time for gym sessions when he gets back.

I just find it bizarre that so many are being suggested to stay at home. Everyone is being critical of Petaia recently, one of the reasons I feel he's inconsistent is because he hasn't played enough actual footy over the past few years. Keep these young guys playing footy if they're fit and good enough.

It’s different this year due to COVID quarantine requirements eating into holiday and pre-season.

Not privy to what has been negotiated by RUPA this year, but given quarantine requirements and Super Rugby start dates, the Spring Tour Wallabies will likely only get 4 weeks of pre-season in Jan-Feb, whereas in previous years like 2019 & 2020 they were able have 6-8 weeks of pre-season.

A solid window for pre-season Is important for some of the young forwards to really work on strength training before the conditioning training ramps up prior to the season commencing IMO.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
It’s different this year due to COVID quarantine requirements eating into holiday and pre-season.

Not privy to what has been negotiated by RUPA this year, but given quarantine requirements and Super Rugby start dates, the Spring Tour Wallabies will likely only get 4 weeks of pre-season in Jan-Feb, whereas in previous years like 2019 & 2020 they were able have 6-8 weeks of pre-season.

A solid window for pre-season Is important for some of the young forwards to really work on strength training before the conditioning training ramps up prior to the season commencing IMO.

Yes I have no issue if Wilson is kept home, he hasn't been in the 23 since forever and I think he suffered some second year syndrome with the Reds. I'm not fussed on the weight issue, David Lyons comes to mind!

But why hold back Paisami? He was a no brainer selection before Kerevi came back, seeing the two of them together could hold the key to the depth of the squad over the next 4 years. Same with Swain, he's been included in the 23 consistently this year. I think he would benefit from muscling up against the NH teams who will challenge him in a different way.

Of course neither of those players have been confirmed to be staying home, but have been suggested above. And my opinion is they should both be playing over there. But of course, that is only my opinion.

Reactions: TSR

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Tom Decent in the herald saying no To'omua for tour due to concussions. Hunter or JOC (James O'Connor) there until Kerevi fit I’d imagine.
Edit: is Perese fit?

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Pity there aren’t any old fashioned tour matches against clubs/provinces any more. We could have given Kellaway, JP and Wright a go at fb, to see how they go there.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Can anyone definitively say what/who constitutes a foreign based player? Eg, are Cooper and Kerevi foreign based? They certainly don't play in the Super Rugby competition.

Those who are foreign based or I am unsure about include :
Latu, BPA, Arnold, Skelton, McMahon, Cooper, Kerevi, Koroibete. Also Naisarani, though he's not getting many mentions lately.

Quite a few more than four. If they are limited to four only out of that list, then I think both Latu and BPA miss out in favour of Kaitu'u and Lonergan; Skelton probably misses out to Arnold; assume McMahon must be almost certain given his time here with the Wallabies; and Cooper and Kerevi would be certainties? Where does Koroibete fit in then?

If it is decided that those who played here this year are not foreign based, then as a real smokey, I reckon someone like Mack Hanson should be considered. An authentic fullback in the making with some good Super Rugby experience, and he is Ireland eligible. If we don't lock him in he will be playing against us sometime soon.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Of course. But that doesn’t mean it won’t benefit them in the longer run.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Can anyone definitively say what/who constitutes a foreign based player? Eg, are Cooper and Kerevi foreign based? They certainly don't play in the Super Rugby competition.

Those who are foreign based or I am unsure about include :
Latu, BPA, Arnold, Skelton, McMahon, Cooper, Kerevi, Koroibete. Also Naisarani, though he's not getting many mentions lately.
My understanding is it was above and beyond what is already with the squad - so of those only Latu, Arnold and Skelton. Alternatively it could be anyone outside of the Giteau law, which would then include Kerevi and McMahon.

Cooper is qualified under the Giteau law while BPA, Koroibete and Naisarani are all under contract until the end of the year (unless given an early release) and don't require any special dispensation for inclusion.

As far as Mack Hanson goes, he's an interesting smokey but given he has been released he would count as one of those 4 players. Certainly fullback is probably the next position for them to look at after lock and hooker, but he might be behind Beale at this stage. The other left field option might be Jesse Mogg, though given he has signed for next year he wouldn't necessarily take up one of the extra spots

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Mack Hanson is an interesting one.

I really can’t see it being likely - but given that I rated him above Banks when he was here I wouldn’t be opposed to them giving him a try at all.

The fact that McKellar clearly didn’t probably isn’t a good sign though.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Mack Hanson is an interesting one.

I really can’t see it being likely - but given that I rated him above Banks when he was here I wouldn’t be opposed to them giving him a try at all.

The fact that McKellar clearly didn’t probably isn’t a good sign though.
Maddocks could be another Fullback option given he is now in France.