• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
We're so quick to turn on players aren't we. Paisami was the second coming earlier this year, now he's a has-been who is a bench option at best.

I wasn't that long ago posters were quite happy to throw out any combination of Lolesio/JOC (James O'Connor)/Simone/To'omua as a possible 10/12 starting combination.

Now it's all about who can get us over the gain line the fastest. Yes having Kerevi available was caviar, but the blokes still available are still good.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

He offered nothing. See examples towards the end of this article

summary being Paisami is not Kerevi. Brilliant and he gets dropped for that? A quick bit of further analysis for you - Foketi and Perese are not Kerevi either....

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Given Rennie's previous selections it seems unbelievably unlikely that he will ditch Paisami after one game back and put Perese straight into the starting XV.

I'd be surprised if Perese makes the bench let alone starting (I would like to see him on the bench). It would be great if he ultimately gets one start on this tour to see what he can do.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Looks like Cooper isn't touring now.

In some ways this makes things easier for Rennie and JOC (James O'Connor). I think everyone has been very surprised by how well Cooper has gone but I am guessing Rennie still thought JOC (James O'Connor) was his first choice heading towards the 2023 RWC.

With Cooper's form it would have been hard to drop him for JOC (James O'Connor) but now that choice doesn't need to be made.

We certainly need JOC (James O'Connor) at the helm as much as possible given how few tests there are before the RWC.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
At the end of the day, we can beat all the NH teams if (and its a big IF) we are able to put our best possible pack onto the paddock.

Lets not get too agitated about the other seven. Play it tight and hard and to our strengths.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Looks like Cooper isn't touring now.

In some ways this makes things easier for Rennie and JOC (James O'Connor). I think everyone has been very surprised by how well Cooper has gone but I am guessing Rennie still thought JOC (James O'Connor) was his first choice heading towards the 2023 RWC.

With Cooper's form it would have been hard to drop him for JOC (James O'Connor) but now that choice doesn't need to be made.

We certainly need JOC (James O'Connor) at the helm as much as possible given how few tests there are before the RWC.
It will be good to get some more game time into JOC (James O'Connor). I don't think he will be a huge step down from QC (Quade Cooper).

Without Hodge, though, the backup 10 options are non-existant. Are we one injury to JOC (James O'Connor) away from seeing Beale at 10? Or am I forgetting someone?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
No Cooper now as well? That's a blow but if all of this means that we have established a beneficial relationship with the Japanese clubs then I guess I'm OK with it. JOC (James O'Connor) will be fine at 10. He's got a pretty good combination with Hunter as well from their time at the Reds. I'm quietly hopeful.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I'd give Perese a go over Paisami at 12 after last weekend
I find it quite amusing that Perese is getting a mention ahead of Paisami for an International debut at 12.

What exactly has he done to show that he would be a better option at 12?

Sure he is strong in contact and had a few good outings for the Tahs at 13 this year , but other than that ? Do you think he would have improved in other aspects of his game by not having played any rugby since his last outing for the Tahs? Ball distribution? Decision making ? Setting up those outside him?

There’s a very good chance he will be as rusty as hell and playing a position he doesn’t even have Super experience in. It would be a massive achievement if he had an ok game yet alone be our saviour.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
I find it quite amusing that Perese is getting a mention ahead of Paisami for an International debut at 12.

What exactly has he done to show that he would be a better option at 12?

Sure he is strong in contact and had a few good outings for the Tahs at 13 this year , but other than that ? Do you think he would have improved in other aspects of his game by not having played any rugby since his last outing for the Tahs? Ball distribution? Decision making ? Setting up those outside him?

There’s a very good chance he will be as rusty as hell and playing a position he doesn’t even have Super experience in. It would be a massive achievement if he had an ok game yet alone be our saviour.
Well having not played for the Tahs in a number of months will probably help a bit.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't think trying to get Perese to replicate Kerevi's crash ball at 12 is the answer. We probably need to adjust the game-plan away from a crash baller focus, anyway. Maybe re-focus on kicking more effectively.

I noticed on the weekend that there was a lot of sterile possession in between the 22s with fuck all rugby going on. This seemed in part because our ruck security was ponderous (and the Japanese were playing sillybuggers a fair bit, as pointed out in that article). But we also didn't seem to get over the gainline, in tight or out wide (again, Japan seemed offside at every ruck - but play what's infront).

We need a better idea of what to do with the ball in these situations. We cant rely on 100m of Kerevi breaks every match (because its pretty clear he wont be there if it doesn't suit his paymasters). And when we arent carrying very effectively and carrying in non-threatening areas its an easy excuse for the defending team to attack the ball at the breakdown.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
So if Quade goes - we need 10 cover int he squad. It's 3 matches, must bring people in. Beale already coming in but that's for 15 and 3rd choice 10, now we need a 2nd choice 10

I think Duncan (Toulon) is obvious because he has practiced the systems
but
on short notice, I would prefer experience so Zac Holmes and Mike Harris to join Beale.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hard disagree on that. His decision making was very ordinary and he has a bad habit of skirting the wrong side of legal in his tackles.

Don't get me wrong, I like him and think he has something to offer the Wallabies, but his defence is his biggest weakness right now and a big step down from the other options.
Don’t know if I agree with that but
that's a big call because as far as I am aware Perese has never played 12 in first class/professional rugby? Unless he had a run there for NSW this year? And it's his test debut. Paisami will be better for the run last week (and tackled like a demon). Work Perese off the bench I reckon.
yeh paisami deserves another run after first game in a while. Not long ago we were lauding paisami as one of the first picks for the backline.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Don’t know if I agree with that but
Pretty good break down of some of his defensive issues this year here:

He's not played a game since then so it's hard to see how he would've improved since then, particularly if he has to play out of position.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Ok so assuming the Japanese 3 are all out plus Hodge. Something like this for Scotland.

15 Kellaway
14 Daugunu
13 Ikitau
12 Paisami
11 Petaia
10 JOC (James O'Connor)
9 McDermott
8 Valetini
7 Hooper
6 Swinton
5 Arnold
4 Rodda
3 Tupou
2 Fainga'a
1 Slipper

16 Latu
17 Bell
18 AAA
19 Skelton
20 Samu
21 White
22 Beale
23 Perese
Just going on Rennie's selections lately, I think it might be Wright on one wing and Petaia on the bench for his versatility. And I'm not having a go at Petaia because I reckon he had his best game for years against Japan. I am just questioning a winger coming off the bench and another coming in fresh from injury replacing one who was a starter in the last test, which we won.

I also understand neither Arnold nor Skelton will be available to play before the England game. If that is so, then no change to the pack in my opinion, except maybe a swap between Rodda and Swain if Rodda needs/wants a rest.

I do not like the makeup of the reserve backs but I'll leave it at that. No further comment.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Don't get me wrong I think Hunter is a good player who will get better and better over the next few years. At this point in time he is in just his second year as a fulltime professional Rugby player and his performance was down on the weekend. No harm in trying other options
I don't see much evidence of Rennie trying other options when a player has a bit of a downer. More likely to replace him with a proven performer in form or leave him there to show what he can do. I can't see Perese replacing Paisami against the Scots, nor would I want to.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Just going on Rennie's selections lately, I think it might be Wright on one wing and Petaia on the bench for his versatility. And I'm not having a go at Petaia because I reckon he had his best game for years against Japan. I am just questioning a winger coming off the bench and another coming in fresh from injury replacing one who was a starter in the last test, which we won.

I also understand neither Arnold nor Skelton will be available to play before the England game. If that is so, then no change to the pack in my opinion, except maybe a swap between Rodda and Swain if Rodda needs/wants a rest.

I do not like the makeup of the reserve backs but I'll leave it at that. No further comment.

You may be right, but I think Wright has been largely unimpressive. Daugunu is brilliant in attack, a great defender and awesome over the ball. He has some flakey moments, but also plays closer to Koroiebete than anyone else.

As for the bench, it covers all positions. Beale is our only back up 10 and 15 it would seem, while Perese was close to the form Aust back of Super Rugby and is overdue a shot.