• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Shame BPA is off. Is it long term or could he be back?

Signed till 2023, will qualify as 1 of the "extra 2" outside the Giteau law that can be selected that Rennie has shown no interest in doing.

Come RWC time if he signs a futures contract like Nic White did then can be selected outside the extra 2.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Ok, hear out here. What about something like:

1 Slipper / Bell (getting really worried about James' body holding together so Bell needs some starts)
2 Fainga'a / Mafi
3 Tupou
4 Neville
5 Philip / LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) / Gear
6 Valetini / LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
7 Hooper / McReight
8 Wilson / Uru
9 White / McDermott
10 JOC (James O'Connor)
11 Koroibete
12 Paisami
13 Ikitau
14 Wright
15 KURTLEY BEALE

yada yada.

First question - how's he going over there?

But how badly do we need an international standard fullback? This badly?
If we pick KB (Kurtley Beale) France have to play that fat bloke who captained them a few years ago.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
BPA is clearly the best Hooker in the country, no doubt, Fainga'a scores tries but they're not tries he creates they're tries the Brumbies pack creates and he's the beneficiary off. Reg could probably hold onto the back of that Brumbies maul and pick up more than a few tries. BPA is hands down the best scrumaging 2 in the country he's super handy around the park and carries hard. It's not like we've not got other hooking stocks, but this year while we've got him we've gotta use him because we aren't so deep that we can just ignore the best hooker in the country by a long way. Mafi or that Force Hooker (obviously I mean Andrew Ready -- FFS if he'd just not been a dick head he'd be in with a red hot shot at the bench hooking gig) Kaitu'u are the other options IMO. Also seriously, when can we stop picking Uelese on 'potential'. Jordie I get he does amazing things once every few games but Uelese either doesn't play or plays 'okay' not some kind of 'you can see the talent, he's just gotta figure it out'.

Regarding Tom Wright I think a lot of his Wallabies form last year was him just being Johnny on the spot and while he was excellent, I think most wingers in the positions he was in would have done similarly well. His form this year has been very good, although he kind of laid a goose egg against the Reds. I suspect he'll probably be the first choice but I wouldn't expect his job will be at all safe, we have too many wingers who are too good for him to feel at all comfortable.

On the topic of wingers who are too good... Vuni is far far far too good to not be on the Wallabies bench, mark my words he'll make us all forget who Marika ... someone is. Obviously it's tough to give him game time when he's not been playing Super Rugby and I think he knows that and so will be looking to impress with what little is left in the season.
Regarding Daugunu coming off the bench for the Reds I don't think it's a matter of him being out of favor or not being good enough, but Brad wanting to use him as that fire starter, the Reds probably have the most stacked bench going around, and they look to use that and exploit that. I think the Jock/Hegarty back three are there to give the reds that tactical game, while Daugunu/Vuni give the Reds that power game. I won't be surprised to see them go back to the power game at some point, I think both Daugunu and Vunivalu are one good/bad game away from one of those starting spots.

I was super happy to see Jordie find a way to inject himself in the game for the Reds, he just put that team on his back, he needs to do that more often. Probably helps that the Reds had the two fullbacks to handle most of the tactical stuff and that let Jordie do Jordie. I'd love to see him play 15, I do think attacking in the middle of the field will suite him more, but gotta do it at club, then maybe try him for 30 to close out a game.

And finally (sorry not sorry for the long post), whoever was saying you don't replace backs unless it's an injury, what is this the 90's?! Just look at what the Reds did with Daugunu bring them on against tired legs and they are a spark plug to inject that pace back into the game while everyone else is tired. IMO the ideal bench mix is probably Tate, a utility To'omua/Hodge esqu, and a spark plug like Daugunu was on the weekend.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
BPA is not that good that we would be desperate to bring him back. A couple of the young hookers will come through in between now and the RWC. But they need size in order to be effective at test level. Latu is someone who would be worth pursuing.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Latu got done for passing out in his car again a few weeks ago (this time having crashed into a number of parked cars). I think that's a HARD pass from us. Agreed our other hookers need to develop their size. And I agree BPA is not SO good that we fall over ourselves to bring him back, but we aren't soo stacked with hookers that we can ignore him either. IMO we start BPA this year and develop some hookers (not FF (Folau Fainga'a)). If Mafi or whoever isn't ready by next year then we bring in Fainga'a to fill the gap.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Latu got done for passing out in his car again a few weeks ago (this time having crashed into a number of parked cars). I think that's a HARD pass from us. Agreed our other hookers need to develop their size. And I agree BPA is not SO good that we fall over ourselves to bring him back, but we aren't soo stacked with hookers that we can ignore him either. IMO we start BPA this year and develop some hookers (not FF (Folau Fainga'a)). If Mafi or whoever isn't ready by next year then we bring in Fainga'a to fill the gap.
Eh, maybe we can get him cheap?

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Latu was given a life-line by Cheika, under very strict guidance, and driven very hard by MC fitness wise. It would appear without someone like Cheika guiding him, he can't do it himself. Pity, as he's a genuine talent, good scrummager, very strong over the ball at the breakdown, and ball skills like an inside back.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Latu was given a life-line by Cheika, under very strict guidance, and driven very hard by MC fitness wise. It would appear without someone like Cheika guiding him, he can't do it himself. Pity, as he's a genuine talent, good scrummager, very strong over the ball at the breakdown, and ball skills like an inside back.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Neville has done so much this year, that his older, but his dominated lineouts, mauls, tackles.. I would normally be against an older guy but his a animal / machine / what I want in a test team

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
But do you really want to be blooding a lock at 32. I'm not sure he's better enough than our other options to justify picking someone of his age. MAYBE if we have an injury or two and want someone to just plug in. But I'd imagine Sitaleki Timani is the other option to fill that role.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Regarding Tom Wright I think a lot of his Wallabies form last year was him just being Johnny on the spot and while he was excellent, I think most wingers in the positions he was in would have done similarly well.

Except for that other Wallabies right wing last year.........

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think Wright has been one of the genuine finds of the last couple of years. I predict a long career in gold for him if he wants it.

When is his contract due for renewal? I think one of the issues with the current group of young wingers who've already played for the Wallabies is that RA have made a big investment in Vunivalu. If they don't come to the party with an appropriate top up for someone like Wright, you can imagine he will feel slighted. Hopefully they see his value though.

He might already have re-signed recently, I'm not sure I don't follow the Brumbies that closely.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah they signed him up last year - not sure for how long. He oozes class, though. Be surprised if he doesnt get a decent Wallaby top-up, particularly with our penchant for overvaluing outside backs.