• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Attack is not our problem. We always think we need to try other players so we can score more points. Our attack isn't so bad. With a bit more cohesion, it will be even better.

Our real problem is defence.

If we can prevent their tries against the run of play in all three games, particularly when we're actually building pressure, the games would be extremely close.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Am I the only one who thought our locks were above par tonight? I quite liked their involvement (aside from Philip's intercept). They're not our weakness. Also our replacement tight 5 was immense, we'd be singing their praises if it was a closer match. We dished their scrum up. Bell & Tupou will cause headaches for years.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
WT actual F!

White is working off the bench, very well. He's not close to Tate, though.

After that: Valetini to club. or Age grade or, I don't know who cares but it doesn't involve a gold jersey.

Agree on Hunter and Kerevi.

Also agree on JOC (James O'Connor), though if Cooper is training as well as has been stated I'd be thinking about it. If not Quade, then JOC (James O'Connor). If not JOC (James O'Connor) then Hodge. If not, hell I don't know, White? Hooper? Slipper? Tupou? Not Lolo that's for fucking sure. Back with Valetini in kindergarten.

AND the locks need thought. AS WELL AS starting hooker, which is not Finger. Who can join Valetini. For locks, not a lot of choice, so stick. But it is not a satisfying group in the slightest.
Yeh locks been disappointing as was FF (Folau Fainga'a) today...I actually don’t know the answer.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Ok for SA
1. Bell
2. BPA
3. Tupou
4. Rodda
5. Philip
6. Swinton
7. Hooper
8. Wilson
9. McDermott
10. JOC (James O'Connor) or Hodge ( if former injured)
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Paisami
14. Petaia
15. Kellaway

16.Kaitu'u ( heck lets try them all)...
17. Slipper
18. Ala'alatoa
19. Swain
20. Samu
21. White
22.Hodge
23. Vunivali

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)

Ok for SA
1. Bell
2. BPA
3. Tupou
4. Rodda
5. Philip
6. Swinton
7. Hooper
8. Wilson
9. McDermott
10. JOC (James O'Connor) or Hodge ( if former injured)
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Paisami
14. Petaia
15. Kellaway

16.Kaitu'u ( heck lets try them all).
17. Slipper
18. Ala'alatoa
19. Swain
20. Samu
21. White
22.Hodge
23. Vunivali
Switch Petaia with Kellaway and you're on

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Switch Petaia with Kellaway and you're on

Was going to say Rennie has had crap results and needs to be brave and test other combinations, but then I try and look at what other choices are there...

Noah not worked but ok appreciate no immediate options as choosing Quade not moving forward....at this point just need JOC (James O'Connor) back. But if not I would go for ST option of Hodge over Noah with latter on the bench.

Ikatau though has to go as offered nothing. Kerevi is a keeper and put Hunter outside of him.

Hooker...gees just make sure BPA is fit as all the others really suck.

Banks...ok at this point probably hard as we have players not really played there in recent times - ie Paisai or Kellaway....and is the time to try them in a new position at test level....well Hodge can do it so why not.

Valentini - just been horrible - wilson or isi to start....maybe bench for valentini as he is test standard just not consistent test standard

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think Swinton has used up all of his credit from that half an hour last year...........

It's time to bring back Wilson and have him play in that wider channel.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ikatau though has to go as offered nothing. Kerevi is a keeper and put Hunter outside of him.

Interesting..... I thought Ikitau was pretty good.

I would persist with him and Kerevi for the rest of the RC.

I was happy to see Kerevi pass the ball, even though it looked like he was instinctively fighting it every time.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Kerevi is a 12 but needs a little quality either side of him. JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 or Quade if he is not yet fit. Petaia should be our 13. He has shown in the past for Qld and the Wallabies that this is his best position. Put him there and keep him there.
Kellaway at 15 is a good bet or Hodge if we want someone more experienced. White and McDermott can chop and change with starting depending on the opposition both are capable.
Wilson, why is he not in the side? He was one of our best last year and was OK in the French series. He is our number 8. Play him there and choose a 6 from Swinton and Valentini. Samu a good bench option.
Hookers are BPA and Uelese. Why change that when it was working so well? Madness. Both FF (Folau Fainga'a) and Lonergan(for now) are not test standard.

This is test rugby. Your basic physical abilities and rugby nous need to be at a certain level. You cannot just throw kids in there willy nilly and hope for the best. Just because a player is adequate at Super Rugby level does not mean that they are cut from the right cloth for test footy. Players like Hodge, Uelese, Wilson etc show it all the time. Kerevi and Petaia too. Hope JOC (James O'Connor) is fit but with the short turn around we are likely to see Hodge start at 10 and JOC (James O'Connor) come off the bench. If he is still not fit give Quade a bench spot.
Rennie and McKellar need to see the difference in what is required and respect it.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Interesting... I thought Ikitau was pretty good.

I was happy to see Kerevi pass the ball, even though it looked like he was instinctively fighting it every time.
I thought ikatau was invisible but maybe you are right and the issue is I just missed what he did that was good.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
As much effort as Koreibete puts in he is completely predictable. He will not pass or kick but will without question carry hard into the teeth of the defence and then try to regain his feet and go again, often picking up sanction for not staying down in the tackle. For a side like the ABs that is easy pickings. Kick the restart to him and then swarm him to attempt to overturn the pill. I would like to see Vunivalu getting a run on that wing.
He (MK) has been one of our best in recent years but its maybe time to look for something a little more threatening.
Kellaway has done enough to get a run at 15 as well. He is solid and takes good options. Either he or Hodge should start at 15 against the Boks. Time to reshuffle the deck chairs.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I agree the challenge with MK is he is predictable as you know he won’t kick and more going to try and run through you. As much as lot to like about MK there are elements to his game to still improve if truly to be one of the top world class rugby wingers.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Interesting... I thought Ikitau was pretty good.

Yeah I honestly think Ikitau has shown genuine potential.

He needs to get more involved and missed one tackle on Akira (as did half the team) but when he does get the ball he generally troubles defenders and pokes his nose through.

That plus his combination of a big left foot and few mistakes (doesn't force offloads or drop the ball in contact a la Petaia or Paisami) - he's worth persisting with.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I think Swinton has used up all of his credit from that half an hour last year.....

It's time to bring back Wilson and have him play in that wider channel.
Wilson is a probably/ definitely a better footballer than Swinton and he shows this in Super Rugby AU. The problem is that against the top teams he's not robust or strong enough to play the way he wants to - and he's been shown up physically repeatedly.

Swinton is far more limited in what he does but due to his size and aggression- can do it effectively and repeatedly at international level.

He'll run a strong unders line for the halfback and generally get over the advantage line, make his tackles close to the ruck and wins some lineouts - you won't get too much more.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
As much effort as Koreibete puts in he is completely predictable. He will not pass or kick but will without question carry hard into the teeth of the defence and then try to regain his feet and go again, often picking up sanction for not staying down in the tackle. For a side like the ABs that is easy pickings. Kick the restart to him and then swarm him to attempt to overturn the pill. I would like to see Vunivalu getting a run on that wing.
He (MK) has been one of our best in recent years but its maybe time to look for something a little more threatening.
Kellaway has done enough to get a run at 15 as well. He is solid and takes good options. Either he or Hodge should start at 15 against the Boks. Time to reshuffle the deck chairs.
I agree that MK is predictable but he's still effective. I'd be happy with him and Vunivalu on the wings. They have both excelled in the Storm environment where you can see Bellamy instills an emphasis on hard work. MK is the hardest worker on the field, even with him limitations. In his small stints with the Reds you can see the same in Vunivalu. If I was rugby Australia I'd behaving a chat with Bellamy about getting him involved, he has a great ability to get the best out of players, something Wallaby coaches seem to struggle with.

If MK and SV are on the wings you could look a Kellaway at 15 as he has support around to help him. I was hopeful Banks would step up but he keeps making mistakes every game. There needs to be consequences for this.

Hopefully JOC (James O'Connor) is back. Like others have said I think he'd work well with Kerevi.

I'd like Wilson back at 8 and McReight on the bench so we have an on ball presence at the end of games.

I'm over seeing Tupou wasted on the bench. Start with the best players and he's shown he can play 80 if needed.

If BPA isn't available I'd throw Kaitu'u in. None of the other options seem to work so give him a go.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Why wasn’t Kaitu’u in the 23? Still not fit? There was nothing wrong with what BPA and Uelese had been doing for the previous couple of tests.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I found that latest pantsing particularly demoralising for some reason. My appetite for the rest of the RC is greatly diminished.

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
Tate was awesome (my Aus MOM) but I think White shows just a little bit more composure at this point. I'd start White for his superior kicking and passing game early doors and then bring Tate on after 45 minutes to cause havoc.

Noah needs a spell from the starting side for now and Banks has proven he isn't test quality. Kerevi is an absolute gun and will only get better the longer he is with the team, Paisami currently our best option at 13, although would love to see Perese given a chance there when fit. Kellaway was again very solid and is a good foil for Marika on the other wing

My ideal backline for Springboks.

9. White
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Korobeite
12. Kerevi
13. Paisami
14. Kellaway
15. Hodge

21. McDermott
22. Lolesio
23. Petaia

All starters are at or nearing their prime years (HP is the youngest at 23) and give us the best chance of winning right now. Three future guns developing from the pine